U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,817 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking to switch from Oil to Gas. Am having trouble coming up with good estimates or reliable plumbers to do the job. I've gotten estimates from $8K all the way up to $20k. No one seems to really want to take on this job either which is surprising me. Half the plumbers I've talked to are steering me away from this. Not sure why.

Has anyone done this recently and can give me a ballpark for what it costs in the lower Westchester area. Plumber referrals would be nice also. Live in the Hawthorne area.

Setup is a Oil furnace that heats water internally also so we will need to replace the furnace as well as add a new water heater.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 03:00 PM

2,328 posts, read 5,045,394 times
I can't answer your question, but if the price of heating oil continues to plummet, it may not be worth your while.

We converted in the fall of 2009, just before heating oil prices skyrocketed to I think over $4.00/gallon. We've already made back the cost of the conversion and then some. Our heating bills declined by 65%. Yes 65%.

But if heating oil is $2.25/gallon (or less) and stays there, it's going to take a long time to recoup your investment.

I guess it's a gamble.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM

552 posts, read 794,046 times
I had estimates between $8k-$13.5k, all for the same setup (Navien 240 combi boiler), last year. But the overall cost depends on your needs, the size and zoning of your house, etc.

Little Plumber did the gas work and contracted out for the boiler installation: The Little Plumbers of Putnam & Westchester, Inc. Review - PLUMBING CONTRACTORS in Scarsdale, NY - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island, and the Mid-Hudson Region. We were very happy with Anthony's responsiveness.

But prior to getting in contact with him, it was like pulling teeth for the conversion - I had the same experience. May be the time of the year. Is this something that can wait until spring?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,817 times
Thank you. I will contact the company you recommended. Did they do a good job? How long did the whole process take. I'm hearing that there is a 6-8 month wait for coned to do it's thing.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:53 PM

552 posts, read 794,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw999 View Post
Thank you. I will contact the company you recommended. Did they do a good job? How long did the whole process take. I'm hearing that there is a 6-8 month wait for coned to do it's thing.
The wait sounds about typical, but ours was done on an emergency basis (our oil boiler bit the dust in the middle of the bad winter last year). ConEd is necessary for the process, unfortunately. We already had gas to the house, so the job itself took about three days in total.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 68,784 times
We used Bruni and Campisi (in Elmsford) and if I recall correctly, it was around 10k. The work they did was great and they really stayed on top of Con Ed to make sure it happened quickly (its a long process from start to finish).

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or