Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 PM

184 posts, read 338,538 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice on any possible tourist-type shopping areas in northern Westchester/ southern Putnam county. (Please don't judge!)

I moved to the area recently from the Midwest and I'm soon hosting my first out of town visit. My mom's only request is that I take her shopping somewhere. She doesn't mean high end shopping-- no antiques, designer fashion, art, etc. Nope. My mom wants to do typical touristy type souvenir type shopping for the rest of the family back home.

I haven't been here long, but I know enough that...well...Westchester is not a touristy place in that sense. :-) So I'm a bit baffled and not sure if any places exist within reasonable driving distance (I work in Somers, live across the border in Danbury CT). We have no interest in going to NYC for this first trip.

Any ideas?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:45 PM

562 posts, read 1,057,924 times
Go to any of the state historical places (like Philipsburg Manor/Kykuit in Sleepy Hallow or Van Cortlandt Manor in Croton) and they'll likely have a gift shop with New York and area-related tchotchkes.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:03 AM

184 posts, read 338,538 times
Thanks ANM1982, I was just starting to look into this. I want to take my parents to some of the wonderful historic sites in the area, so hopefully I can 'kill two birds with one stone' this way.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The only place that I can think of with typical NY Metro souvenir items is going to be the shop at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in White Plains. Kykuit and Phillipsburg Manor will have items related to New York, but the collection is curated a bit more as to offerings at the gift shop, so you will not tend to find typical tourist items.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-07-2015, 05:28 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
You could take a day trip to the city on the train into Grand Central Station and go from there to Times Square. Plenty of schlock stores with plenty of touristy stuff to buy.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 PM

69 posts, read 114,371 times
Get on the Thruway and stop at the nearest rest area. I forget which one is nearest, but the gift shops are FULL of the the same stuff as in Times Square etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County