U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 AM

13 posts, read 22,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\
If you are really looking to hook up with other progressive minded families, that's where you want to go. Makes little sense to search for progressive people far up in northern Westchester.
Last year my friends in the city were pretty down on Westchester families who were noticeably silent during the testing insanity which seems to be reinforced by your sentiments. I find it so hard to accept that a large population of well educated people would really accept these policies without question.

I'm wondering if there are other parents out there from northern Westchester who might share their thoughts? Anyone from Katonah, Somers, Croton, Bedford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 07:10 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,218,430 times
Quote:
/\/\

Hastings, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Bronxville (coops), Edgemont. What else already obvious is there to suggest? The closer to the city, the more they are in absolute number because they earn a living in NYC. If you are really looking to hook up with other progressive minded families, that's where you want to go. Makes little sense to search for progressive people far up in northern Westchester. But remember these schools have lots of Wall Street finance/law parents as well and their priorities predominate the schools. Given the high influence of corporate ambitions for the kids, these schools will not teach a progressive curriculum.
This is a rather puzzling remark. What's your basis?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:21 PM

73 posts, read 97,427 times
when you say progressive curriculum do you mean liberal?

I think progressive is a code word for liberal that means redistribution of wealth. and since many westchester towns are very affluent they would not be "progressive" (in favor of redistributing their wealth)

also I think its good to teach kids to share but not redistribute wealth.

I am 21 and do not have kids yet but I want to teach them the ron paul curriculum that focuses on liberty and freedoms such as private property rights, limiting the government...ect

But since I will be paying big money in property taxes I will most likely send them to public school and then supplement with the ron paul curriculum.

I don't see a problem with standardized testing, I think westchester schools don't have to abide by common core and can pretty much do whatever they want. Chappaqua is the best school in northern westchester, and I don't think the department of education is going to punish their best school for non compliance.

I think the department of education should be closed down too. Standardized testing such as the SAT is still the best measure of a schools performance INHO.

-matlabmaster

Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,497,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This is a rather puzzling remark. What's your basis?
You'll find more of them in absolute number closer to NYC, from where they commute to their jobs in the LES, Brooklyn and western Queens.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlabmaster99 View Post
I don't see a problem with standardized testing, I think westchester schools don't have to abide by common core and can pretty much do whatever they want. Chappaqua is the best school in northern westchester, and I don't think the department of education is going to punish their best school for non compliance.
Nope. All public schools in NYS have to abide by the common core. It's state law.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:14 PM

73 posts, read 97,427 times
Quote:
Nope. All public schools in NYS have to abide by the common core. It's state law.
You think NY State would punish horace greely for not complying when the average SAT scores there are ~2000?

also how can they be punished? >90% of their funding comes from the local town, there is no state money for the DOE to claw back.

I thought common core only applied to schools that were struggling?

There is only really one way to teach math so common core probably isn't that much different than what they already do.

I would home school my kids but I would feel bad that I am not getting my moneys worth from my property tax, also I work all day, also my girlfriend is a non-native english speaker. So common core is probably good enough.

Back in the 1800s the kids were taught in a one room school house, and the teacher may not have known that much but the kids got by fine. Also some of the kids had to leave school in the fall to harvest the fields and they got by fine. Im not saying we should go back to 1800s but I think education is much better today than in the 1800s, and those one room school houses were successful in raising exceptional americans :-)

Old 02-15-2015, 04:51 PM

69 posts, read 87,676 times
Quote:
Back in the 1800s the kids were taught in a one room school house, and the teacher may not have known that much but the kids got by fine. Also some of the kids had to leave school in the fall to harvest the fields and they got by fine. Im not saying we should go back to 1800s but I think education is much better today than in the 1800s, and those one room school houses were successful in raising exceptional americans :-)
Wow. Just wow. O.o

Old 02-15-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Nope. Common core applies to all public schools in NYS.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:14 PM

815 posts, read 1,980,849 times
To the OP - a possible reason that you haven't heard about an "opt-out" movement in Westchester is that the schools here (in the best districts, maybe not in Yonkers or Mt Vernon...) do not really do test prep. I know that in Scarsdale they don't do it. They teach what they need to teach in the manner they want to teach it, and then they give the kids the tests. Oh surprise, the kids do very well. Why get in an uproar?

On the topic of Scarsdale, they stopped offering AP classes and created their own classes, I think called Advanced Topics, so that they can teach what they want (go more in depth, etc). Does that meet your criteria for progressive?

I think you need to define "progressive" with regards to education, because the word carries many meanings...

Old 02-16-2015, 06:15 AM

8,065 posts, read 9,496,710 times
Quote:
You think NY State would punish horace greely for not complying when the average SAT scores there are ~2000?

also how can they be punished? >90% of their funding comes from the local town, there is no state money for the DOE to claw back.

There is only really one way to teach math so common core probably isn't that much different than what they already do.

I would home school my kids but I would feel bad that I am not getting my moneys worth from my property tax, also I work all day, also my girlfriend is a non-native english speaker. So common core is probably good enough.

Your post reads like an excerpt from the Tea Party handbook...

Do you really think that the localities are covering their dime for educating the kids? Think again the state is a major contributor to the operating budget in every district. Besides each school district is required to be in compliance with states Department of Education, they can make the standards harder but not lesser then the state mandated guidline.

As for your view of the 1800's:

- Not all children had the option to attend school, in fact most probably only had a rudimentary education.
- The fall harvest is why most localities start in September so the kids are able to participate in the
growing season.
- Do you think theirs any chance that kids today need more than the one room school house could of
provided? Maybe you don't seeing you are going to home school, I guess the 4 subject 1800's curriculum
won't be too big a challenge to teach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or