Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 38,656 times

Advertisements

We're interested in making the Brooklyn --> Westchester move with a 2 year old. Dobbs Ferry currently is at the top of the list. Would love any and all opinions on these questions. Thanks!

1) Commute TO the train- does it take a while to get in/out of the parking lot ... is there a lot of traffic in the 8AM/6PM timeframes down Broadway to/from the train? We wanted to be walking distance but a lot of properties we like are a little past Gould Park.
2) Is there a waitlist for Dobbs Ferry parking lot for DF residents?
3) Gould Park area - we can actually afford some of the houses around there, and I wanted to understand what the vibe was like. Are there neighborhood gatherings and activities? Seems there is less turnover in houses there so I'm wondering if there are as many young children? I'm trying to understand what this is like versus the neighborhoods down by the Masters School/train.
4) St. John's Hospital Pavilion - are the sirens loud around there? We are looking at a house right there.
5) Which restaurants are actually good? Yelp is worthless at this point since every restaurant has 4 stars!. Any coffee shops with Wifi in Dobbs or Hastings that are good to do some work in?
6) The Landing apartments - any thoughts on these for a young family?
7) And *that* question again - Dobbs vs Hastings. I KNOW they are like a minute from each other, but which has more town activities , better waterfront, better pool, people walking around ? Basically trying to assess vibrancy of each town.
8) Any additional info on life for a family there? Things you love...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 10:29 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,820,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY212 View Post
5) Which restaurants are actually good?
MP Taverna in nearby Irvington.

Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,715,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY212 View Post
We're interested in making the Brooklyn --> Westchester move with a 2 year old. Dobbs Ferry currently is at the top of the list. Would love any and all opinions on these questions. Thanks!

1) Commute TO the train- does it take a while to get in/out of the parking lot ... is there a lot of traffic in the 8AM/6PM timeframes down Broadway to/from the train? We wanted to be walking distance but a lot of properties we like are a little past Gould Park.
2) Is there a waitlist for Dobbs Ferry parking lot for DF residents?
3) Gould Park area - we can actually afford some of the houses around there, and I wanted to understand what the vibe was like. Are there neighborhood gatherings and activities? Seems there is less turnover in houses there so I'm wondering if there are as many young children? I'm trying to understand what this is like versus the neighborhoods down by the Masters School/train.
4) St. John's Hospital Pavilion - are the sirens loud around there? We are looking at a house right there.
5) Which restaurants are actually good? Yelp is worthless at this point since every restaurant has 4 stars!. Any coffee shops with Wifi in Dobbs or Hastings that are good to do some work in?
6) The Landing apartments - any thoughts on these for a young family?
7) And *that* question again - Dobbs vs Hastings. I KNOW they are like a minute from each other, but which has more town activities , better waterfront, better pool, people walking around ? Basically trying to assess vibrancy of each town.
8) Any additional info on life for a family there? Things you love...?
1) - 4) not sure, i walk to train when needed.

5) the best restaurants in dobbs are probably cookery, harpers and cedar street. though none blow me away

6) not sure

7) i find dobbs to be VERY quiet outside of 5-7pm

8) i am 28 with a gf and find the town to be quite boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County