U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 931 times

Advertisements

All,

Looking to purchase a home by end of the summer. Any thoughts in regards to the schools? After school programs? Recommend any nurseries? The overall town and community?

Appreciate any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:20 PM

263 posts, read 241,117 times
We just moved to Ardsley fron TX. I Have a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old. Our experience with the elementary school Concord Road is very good. If anything it feels super big, but the principal and the teachers have been great with our son helping hi adapt and adjusting the pace a little so he van catch up (he started in the middle of the year). We wereny able to find any nurseries we liked here in town, but everything is just 5-10 minutes from here... I would say tthis is a problem in Westchwpester in general... We put my youngest in a nursery in Dobbs ferry and he loved it but the hours were very limited so we are now changing him to a daycare in scarsdale by the train statiom that i really liked.

People here have been nice although onmy street there seems to be little turnover so we have aome couples that have been here forever and dont serm to be interested in making any friends... Oh well not the end of the world!

Hope this helps!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:06 PM

11 posts, read 17,380 times
Im an Ardsley resident since 1995 and an AHS graduate who was in the Special Ed program (no, I am not autistic or mentally retarded, I have a college degree with honors) and I found Ardsley's special ed program very supportive. Nearly all grads go on to College and many to graduate studies, as I am hoping to in the fall. Ardsley education really is a foundation for a solid future. After School programs are great and I did several as an Elementary school student circa 1996-2000. There is the Ardsley Children's Center at Concord Road Elementary and lots of activities in the Middle School too. You have a UMAC TaeKwonDo school that opened up and takes kids after school via shuttle van, allot of families with young kids have been enrolling them into that. There is also a dance school and a skate park.

There is a Nursery School in Ardsley that is popular with families with young kids also. My mother refused to send my sister there though, as she thought it was too much of a babysitting service and not enough early childhood education taking place, although this was in 1999 so I cant speak to the state of the school today. Elmwood Nursery is very well respected and not far from Ardsley at all. Lots of kids things close by on central ave; fun craft, burger king playplace, musical munchkins, gymboree etc.

Since moving to Ardsley the demographics changed a bit. I am Italian-Catholic from Yonkers and in 1995 the town was about 65% Jewish, now I would say its about 45%, as more Asian and Latino families move into the district, especially highly educated Koreans, Chinese and Indian families whose children generally excel in school.

Downtown is nothing special but the Village is covered well by Bee-Line buses (seriously use them, I leave my car in town and hop in the Bee-Line sometimes, its great when you wanna go to a neighboring river town to get drunk) and there is Russo's Deli in the Square which is among the best in Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or