Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 12,189 times

Advertisements

If a young family with 3~4 Kids (under school age) - with office located in southeastern part of Tarrytown, NY -
were to select a town to move into (plan to rent first before buy), where would it be?

Looks like people commute from Bronxville, Long Island, Yonkers, CT, NJ, NYC, etc.

I tried searching but the school info was so scattered.
Most schools seems to be run by their towns.

Criteria:
1. Schools (Public or Charter)
2. Short Commute (in time)
3. Others (Train, Grocery, Taxes, Housing prices, Convenience, Diversity, etc.)

Do we have residents who have small kids in schools?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggsean View Post
If a young family with 3~4 Kids (under school age) - with office located in southeastern part of Tarrytown, NY -
were to select a town to move into (plan to rent first before buy), where would it be?

Looks like people commute from Bronxville, Long Island, Yonkers, CT, NJ, NYC, etc.

Criteria:

Thanks in advance!
Housing price is everything. If your entry point is under $450 - 500,000 you are going to be somewhat limited in the southern part of westchester county. But if its higher, you may have a ton of options. If its down in the $300 range, you may have to travel further north. If you are comfortable sharing your price range, people could probably help more.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:

Criteria:

Thanks in advance!
Anybody commuting from Bronxville, Long Island, Yonkers, CT, NJ, NYC to work in Tarrytown either has some other good reason to be in those places or is simply insane. Look to communities to the north or up the I-684 corridor. Is your goal to commute to Tarrytown by train? If so that puts you along the MetroNorth Hudson line. Look at a map and start asking about specific towns.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 PM

Thank you. If cost is not a big concern, which cities make sense? I'm looking at Bronxville at this time.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:32 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Thank you. If cost is not a big concern, which cities make sense? I'm looking at Bronxville at this time.
Cost is not a big concern, correct? Then live in Tarrytown itself and send kids to Hackley for school. Few towns match T-town when it comes to conveniences like shops, restaurants, groceries, proximity to work etc. all in one central location. No need to drive all the way from Bronxville.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Cost is not a big concern, correct? Then live in Tarrytown itself and send kids to Hackley for school. Few towns match T-town when it comes to conveniences like shops, restaurants, groceries, proximity to work etc. all in one central location. No need to drive all the way from Bronxville.
I agree 100%. I would go to North Tarrytown (Sleepy Hollow) and look either at the Philipse Manor, up by Marymount or around the Rockefeller estate/park. the problem with these areas are the schools suck, but if money is not an issue, send them to Hackley and in the summer use Pocantico's summer camp. These are expensive too,l but are some of the best. Tarrytown is gorgeous, great parks, views of the river. If not for the schools, we would have stayed there. If that is not an issue, stay there.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I agree 100%. I would go to North Tarrytown (Sleepy Hollow) and look either at the Philipse Manor, up by Marymount or around the Rockefeller estate/park. the problem with these areas are the schools suck, but if money is not an issue, send them to Hackley and in the summer use Pocantico's summer camp. These are expensive too,l but are some of the best. Tarrytown is gorgeous, great parks, views of the river. If not for the schools, we would have stayed there. If that is not an issue, stay there.
Understand though (and I know you do, dr.strangelove) that Hackley very competitive academically. Admission is far from assured and you can get kicked out if your academic performance or social behavior is unacceptable. That said, I'd guess that the ability to foot the bill increases the odds of admission, especially in younger grades.

edit: same goes for the Riverdale "Hill Schools."

Last edited by kletter1mann; 03-11-2015 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: detail

Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 AM

This is the type of best kept secrets that I'm looking for.

Are there any good public school options as we have 3 kids?

Old 03-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Living in Tarrytown would be the best for commute.

Some suggested Hastings, Irvington and Pleasantville too.

I'm looking for public school options first.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Living in Tarrytown would be the best for commute.

Some suggested Hastings, Irvington and Pleasantville too.

I'm looking for public school options first.
Stay away from Tarrytown schools as they are not very good value for the money, especially if you are buying a higher end home.

Irvington schools are good, among the best in the state on the elementary level and Irvington HS is often rated top 25 high schools in the state and is frequently nationally ranked int eh top 500 schools. For value, its considered very good, not the highest rated mind you, but a bigger bang for your buck in terms of taxes, housing prices and such. That said, most of this is just based on opinions of locals and most everyone tends to favor their own districts.

Hastings is likewise very well thought of for public schools, but home prices will be way higher than in Tarrytown. Pleasantville is the same, great HS, but I know nothing of the elementary there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County