U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 49,786 times
Question Any safe places to live in Yonkers and or New Jersey???

My husband and I are looking to leave Brooklyn and we were looking into Yonkers and New Jersey. We don't want to go too far because we work in New York City-so we don't want crazy commuting time. We don't really know where to look though. We don't want to move anywhere that reminds us of Brooklyn, ghetto Bronx, or anywhere ghetto in general. We want to move somewhere nice and quiet where 2 hard working individuals with a 9-5 don't have to worry about getting mugged or worse while walking home after work. We just want to move to a working class neighborhood that's not full of gang bangers and or drug dealers. We also wish to not move into a racist neighborhood. My husband is Black and I am Hispanic. We are looking for a fair sized one bedroom and don't want to pay more than 1,500 a month for rent. HELP PLEASE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,409,418 times
Where are you both working? There are a lot of nice neighborhoods even in NYC where you can get a good-sized 1 bedroom for $1500/month.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM

22 posts, read 163,339 times
Default Same boat over here in Queens :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy13 View Post
My husband and I are looking to leave Brooklyn and we were looking into Yonkers and New Jersey. We don't want to go too far because we work in New York City-so we don't want crazy commuting time. We don't really know where to look though. We don't want to move anywhere that reminds us of Brooklyn, ghetto Bronx, or anywhere ghetto in general. We want to move somewhere nice and quiet where 2 hard working individuals with a 9-5 don't have to worry about getting mugged or worse while walking home after work. We just want to move to a working class neighborhood that's not full of gang bangers and or drug dealers. We also wish to not move into a racist neighborhood. My husband is Black and I am Hispanic. We are looking for a fair sized one bedroom and don't want to pay more than 1,500 a month for rent. HELP PLEASE!!!
LOL...I am looking into areas of either of NJ or Westchester for a possible move, hopefully before this summer. I am so sick and tired of Astoria...I've lived here for over 15 years and its time to go. I also need to take public transportation to work, which is here in Queens. I've been doing loads of research, but haven't come up with any definites yet. I wish you luck- and I hope you find something wonderful.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 PM

297 posts, read 1,184,346 times
There are some very nice areas of Yonkers and some not so nice areas of Yonkers. Northeast Yonkers is very nice, there are lots of apartments around Central Park Ave and there are also apartment by Cross County. I would avoid South Yonkers at all costs.

How are you planning to get to work? There is an Express Bus to Manahattan from Yonkers. The other option is to use the Metro North train. The Yonkers Metro North station is in South Yonkers so if you are planning on taking Metro North, you should look for an apartment in White Plains, Hartsdale Tuckahoe. There are apartments on Tuckahoe Rd in Yonkers which are near the Tuckahoe train station.

The only thing about Yonkers and Hartsdale are that the highschools aren't the greatest.

As far as commute time, I wouldn't really worry about commuting to NYC. Plenty of people do it and its not so bad. I commuted to Midtown and it was a 28 minute train ride plus a 10 minute walk. It took me less time to get to work then the person who lived in Manhattan and had to rely on a cross town bus.

Good Luck.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:34 PM

You can easily find a 1 BR for $1500 in many beautiful and SAFE areas in Westchester within walking distance to a MetroNorth station. I saw some on craigslist. They are not all in Yonkers but in some very beautiful and even nicer areas.

This one is in Eastchester near the Crestwood area
one bedroom apartment (broken link)

Here's one in Pelham
PELHAM MANOR 1 BDRM, PERFECT LOCATION (broken link)

Here's on in Tuckahoe
Luxury Condo Building (Tower Club) (broken link)

Hastings
Hastings Jr 2 Bedrm,Riverviews (broken link)

Tarrytown
furnished one bedroom apartment (broken link)

You can check out craiglist yourself to see if you can find what you need.

westchester all apartments classifieds - craigslist

Good Luck.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 49,786 times
Default Don't really want to stay in the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Where are you both working? There are a lot of nice neighborhoods even in NYC where you can get a good-sized 1 bedroom for $1500/month.

We don't really want to stay in the city. I realize that you can pay 1,500 for an apartment in New York and get a tiny apartment but you can get something almost double in size for the same price outside the city. Maybe someone can tell me which places I should avoid in Yonkers and Jersey.

Thank you for your help.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:28 PM

You should avoid South Yonkers at all costs.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,409,418 times
I can kind of help you out with New Jersey. Do you want a denser, more urban neighborhood or a suburban neighborhood? Do you plan to have a car?

If you want the former: Union City is a safe, mostly Latin American area and has reasonable rents - you can get a nice, large 1 bedroom for well under $1500. Also, you'll probably be able to find a decent-sized 1 bedroom for around that price in Jersey City near the Grove Street PATH station or directly west of the Pavonia/Newport PATH station. Basically, anything east of I-78 is fairly nice in Jersey City - this is the most urban section, too. Finally, if you want to get a lot for your money (like a large TWO bedroom for under $1500), check out the Ironbound section of Newark, which is located directly south of Newark's Penn Station (where the commuter trains to the suburbs go and also the PATH train). The Ironbound is the most vibrant and probably safest neighborhood in Newark and has a pretty good restaurant and bar scene. The neighborhood is mostly Portuguese, Brazilian, and Hispanic.

If you want a suburban neighborhood and plan to use a car (but commute to NYC for your job via commuter rail), these towns are nice: Kearny, Union, Roselle/Roselle Park, Westfield, Scotch Plains/Fanwood, Cranford, Edison, Metuchen, Woodbridge, Bloomfield, Belleville, Montclair, Maplewood, Millburn, South Orange

Old 01-14-2008, 06:39 PM

16 posts, read 67,623 times
Default Re: Any safe places to live in Yonkers and or New Jersey???

From 2000 - 2005 I lived in Astoria, Woodside and Jackson Heights and I appreciate your dilemma. I now live in Westchester and while I still think the city is better in terms of convenience, the high prices and grittiness can be tough. One last thing before I get to Westchester -- have you looked at the nice part of Washington Heights? (I think they're dubbing it "Hudson Heights" now). The small section west of B'Way that's near the Cloisters is prob. one of the nicest spots in the whole city and may still be affordable. Remember, once you leave the 5 boroughs you will have to pay more in either Metro North train fares or a car.

I live in the Fleetwood neighborhood of Mount Vernon. I have a huge 1 BR for $1125 and I think 2 BR's are going for around $1500-$1600. The Fleetwood train station serves the village of Fleetwood (technically part of Mt. Vernon) and the northernmost stretch of Bronx River Road (technically Yonkers) which everyone calls "Bronxville P.O.", trying to cash in on the cachet of nearby Bronxville.

There are definitely pro's and con's to living here but the major plus is that you could live in this neighborhood without a car if you had to. The major essentials such as grocery, drug store and drycleaning are right on the few main drags. However I don't know if there's really *anyplace* in Westchester where you can live easily without a car. If you need to go to a store like Target or a hardware store, or if you want to go shopping on the weekend in Westchester, you pretty much need to drive there. Also, you'll probably want to keep your doctors in the city because to visit new ones up here, you'd have to take time off from work and also have a car. I tried taking public transport and cabs for a few months up here but it's very difficult.

I think White Plains (downtown only) may be possible to do without a car. It has just about every kind of shopping (Target, Wal-Mart, Macy's and the Galleria mall, the Westchester mall with very upscale shopping) but rents are very high. My friend recently rented a 1 BR apartment that's smaller than mine in a pre-war building for $1700/month. The luxury apartments go for much more. And frankly, from the time I've spent in White Plains on evenings and weekends, I've found it to be quite sub-standard by NYC standards in terms of culture, restaurants, and overall feel.

Westchester is an interesting place. You should just start coming up here on the weekends -- take the Metro North train, pick a town, and just walk around. It's the only way to get a feel for it.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 01-17-2008, 08:03 PM

484 posts, read 1,436,552 times
their are plenty of great areas in Yonkers for that budget............plus you pay less in taxes if you live out side of 5 boros so don't werry about higher train fees Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County