Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 3,716 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Me and my husband are thinking about buying a house in Mahopac; we are a young African-American family with a toddler. We are looking for an active community/good schools where our kids can grow-up.

I have read a lot of articles about the incident with Mt Vernon High school last year and just wondering if anyone offer some advice- should we stay away from Mahopac?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 02:28 PM

189 posts, read 250,131 times
I was wondering the same, since I read some complaints on greatschools.com about bullying.

Mommylife, you may get a better response by posting this in the general NY forum, since Mahopac is outside of Westchester (in Putnam County.)

Old 03-25-2015, 12:07 PM

814 posts, read 905,612 times
I was born and raised in Mahopac and the schools are decent. I started out in Lakeview Elementary and went all the way through Mahopac High School.

I do not believe that the Putnam schools are as pressure cooker as the Westchester schools tend to be, some of these parents are just ridiculous with the pressure they place on their kids with college, at least let them get out of elementary first, and whats even more funny they care so much about their children but yet hire nanny's to watch them.

Racism sucks but that's more a nationwide problem, even in Westchester you'll find certain neighborhoods unwelcoming unless you're exactly like them.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 8,746 times
I grew up in Mahopac. Mahopac is comprised of lower middle class/middle class people. Its not a particularly educated community. Mostly Bronx-transplant Italians, some Irish, some Polish and a growing Hispanic population. There literally was one black student in my graduating class and he was adopted.

Mommylife, I'm sure you can do better than this town for your family. Mahopac is small minded, conservative and a little trashy. Racism is certainly an issue in this town and if you move there, your kids will feel it.

I obviously agree with the poster above who said racism is everywhere, but I'm sure no one needs to tell you that! Having lived all over the tri-state area, NY, Boston and DC, I have to say that Mahopac would be the last place I would move if I was black. I'm not saying you will see burning crosses on your lawn (!!!!) but its the under-the-surface stuff that would bother me.

Anyway, good luck. You will have more diversity and fewer close minded people in Westchester I think.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 PM

You have a bunch of elitist in Westchester and don't think they can't be racist.

I too haved lived in a few places including Washington state and Germany, I'm white and from Mahopac and was never racist, when I was in college I went on a date with a black girl. Honestly I left New York in 97 and never looked back, I fell head over heels for the state of Virginia and called it home since 2006.

I have great memories growing up in Mahopac, if racism did exist back then I never knew it cause I wouldn't associate myself with those who were.

Personally I would forget New York all together cause it's a high tax welfare blue state.

However if I had to live back up there I would live in Patterson which is quaint or just move to Connecticut.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:49 AM

192 posts, read 372,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
You have a bunch of elitist in Westchester and don't think they can't be racist.

I too haved lived in a few places including Washington state and Germany, I'm white and from Mahopac and was never racist, when I was in college I went on a date with a black girl. Honestly I left New York in 97 and never looked back, I fell head over heels for the state of Virginia and called it home since 2006.

I have great memories growing up in Mahopac, if racism did exist back then I never knew it cause I wouldn't associate myself with those who were.

Personally I would forget New York all together cause it's a high tax welfare blue state.

However if I had to live back up there I would live in Patterson which is quaint or just move to Connecticut.
Mahopac HS made the news a few months ago for racism with I believe Mt.Vernon HS over a basketball game. Don't recall the details.

I'm with you on the high tax and welfare comment. If I could pick up my family and leave NY I would have left yesterday. I live in Northern Westchester and my wife and I make good salaries and all we do is get taxed on it and our home taxes are high. You need to make good salaries here just to make it.

On top of that, you have people on welfare that do not want to get off their lazy @sses to go and work.

The rich get richer, the middle class gets poorer and the lazy get free rides.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM

222 posts, read 537,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
Mahopac HS made the news a few months ago for racism with I believe Mt.Vernon HS over a basketball game. Don't recall the details.

I'm with you on the high tax and welfare comment. If I could pick up my family and leave NY I would have left yesterday. I live in Northern Westchester and my wife and I make good salaries and all we do is get taxed on it and our home taxes are high. You need to make good salaries here just to make it.

On top of that, you have people on welfare that do not want to get off their lazy @sses to go and work.

The rich get richer, the middle class gets poorer and the lazy get free rides.
The whole damn south is free-riding on the north. That's why it's so expensive here, for every $1 New York pays to the Federal Government it gets back $0.50, while in South Carolina $1 gets back $2. So it is lazy asses we're supporting, they just happen to be in the red states.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:50 AM

I live in the south and go to work 5 and 1/2 days a week, lazy is not me by no means.

The difference is the wife and I enjoy our salaries where as in New York I would just be working to pay taxes, even in Putnam county.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:50 PM

192 posts, read 372,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
I live in the south and go to work 5 and 1/2 days a week, lazy is not me by no means.

The difference is the wife and I enjoy our salaries where as in New York I would just be working to pay taxes, even in Putnam county.
You are not kidding...it's sad!

Old 03-27-2015, 04:28 PM

Yep and I miss New York sometimes, Mahopac is my hometown but makes no sense to live there anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County