U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:48 AM

6,839 posts, read 3,764,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus12112 View Post
That's exactly it. Also just for the option on a nice day to say "hey, it's nice out, maybe I'll walk to pick up my dry cleaning." I also grew up in a very walkable town so I think when you're used to it it's harder to live without it.
Yes I love that too. I prefer a more compact arrangement of housing where all your neighbours are nearby
and you can say hello on the street, and the kids can take themselves off to their friends houses for a couple of hours.
We looked around more rural areas with more land. My husband works in Tarrytown so we could easily live somewhere far more rural, and it sounds idyllic and lovely in theory. But everytime I looked at a more rural property I'd get a sort of hollow feeling and knew I wouldn't be able to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 893 times
You must know a lot of shut-ins.. I lived in Manhattan for 10 years - it's completely normal to walk 5+ miles a day. In my last place, the subway was 10 blocks away (1/2 mile), the gym was 12 blocks away, the good grocery store was 20 blocks away etc. Several times a week, I walked from the West 90s to the East 70s. Everyone I know lived like this. When I moved to Westchester, I was shocked by how quickly I put on weight. I live in Croton and would love to be able to park downtown and get all my shopping done. Instead, I have to drive from one shopping mall to another. It's my biggest regret about leaving the city.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:44 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,136,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia1209 View Post
You must know a lot of shut-ins.. I lived in Manhattan for 10 years - it's completely normal to walk 5+ miles a day. In my last place, the subway was 10 blocks away (1/2 mile), the gym was 12 blocks away, the good grocery store was 20 blocks away etc. Several times a week, I walked from the West 90s to the East 70s. Everyone I know lived like this. When I moved to Westchester, I was shocked by how quickly I put on weight. I live in Croton and would love to be able to park downtown and get all my shopping done. Instead, I have to drive from one shopping mall to another. It's my biggest regret about leaving the city.

Well move to a walkable town then. There are more than enough Westchester neighborhoods that are based on very old towns with sidewalks all over. Try Rye, Larchmont or Mamaroneck for a start.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:21 PM

73 posts, read 97,749 times
I would rather drive my car to a strip mall, do all my shopping and be done with it in an hour. Rather than in a "walkable" community spending all day to get errands done.

Making 10 trips to the grocery store to buy everything, basically spending 8 hours per day walking around to do errands.
I work 9-5 so I don't have time to walk around all day.

I just ride the BMW to the supermarket and stock up on food for 3 days. Then I spend my afternoons relaxing instead of trying to walk 2 miles while carrying 24 packs of bottled waters like an idiot.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:24 PM

73 posts, read 97,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia1209 View Post
Have fun carrying a cart-full of groceries to your apartment 20 blocks. Especially if you bought bottled waters or something really heavy.

Manhattan has the illusion that it is convenient, but because its so unfriendly to owning a car there, its actually extremely inconvenient to do anything there.

In order for you to buy the amount of groceries I get in one trip you would need to make probably 3 or 4 trips.

Have fun working a full time job while running around the city doing errands.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM

6,839 posts, read 3,764,060 times
Why do people always sound so permanently irritated these days? Is it possible to have a civilized conversation when your opinion differs?

matlabmaster99, I'm not not sure why you asked the question. Do you really want responses or were you just having a rant?

If you prefer to live somewhere where there are no shops and don't see the point of walking to them, then great! Good for you - that's your completely understandable choice. We all have our own lifestyle choices and yours is one happily embraced by millions of people. Drive everywhere - it's the American way!

Some people prefer to have other options. I prefer to live somewhere where I have the choice to walk or drive. And no, I'm not going to walk down to the shops to carry back 24 bottles of water like an idiot.
I would however, not even consider getting the car out to drive 200 yards to a nearby shop to get a loaf of bread. I'd far rather walk, even in the rain. It's better for the environment and it's better for your health.
If you live 3 miles from the nearest shop you limit your options.

Just accept that other people have other lifestyle choices.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 AM

217 posts, read 403,809 times
I don't see the point in going to BJs and loading up on a weeks worth of food, packing up the car, packing up the pantry, and killing one of my two weekend days in the process. Especially, if the alternative is to stop by the a small grocer on the way home from work and buy some fresh food to prepare dinner.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:34 AM

58 posts, read 88,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matlabmaster99 View Post
I would rather drive my car to a strip mall, do all my shopping and be done with it in an hour. Rather than in a "walkable" community spending all day to get errands done.

Making 10 trips to the grocery store to buy everything, basically spending 8 hours per day walking around to do errands.
I work 9-5 so I don't have time to walk around all day.

I just ride the BMW to the supermarket and stock up on food for 3 days. Then I spend my afternoons relaxing instead of trying to walk 2 miles while carrying 24 packs of bottled waters like an idiot.

Well luckily for you, you're free to make the choice to do that. Just as everyone else is free to choose how to run their errands.

I've never walked 2 miles carrying 24 packs of bottled water. But I have walked half a mile for a loaf of bread. It's one of life's small pleasures for me I don't live in a city, but in a walkable neighborhood of a suburb. Also if anyone is actually spending 8 hours a day walking for errands, then they don't really live somewhere that's walkable.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:44 AM

277 posts, read 558,438 times
I have experienced both styles of living in recent years, and there are pros and cons to both. We lived in Brooklyn for 10 years. For grocery shopping, I think its hard to argue that a car is not better. It just is. Especially if you have kids. You basically have to load up a "granny cart" until its busting, and push that for 10 blocks. Or you shop in dribs and drabs and pick up stuff as you need it throughout the week. We used to do a combination of both. But I still remember carrying so many bags that I felt like my hand would break off. But I really do miss all the specialty shops, etc. It is fun going to a fish shop for fish, a cheese shop for cheese, etc etc. Once kids are in the picture though and you have to load up on food, it really gets to be a drain.

On the other hand, walkability is really great when you're talking about going out to bars and restaurants. It's so nice to walk out your door and have a choice of 15 amazing restaurants. Or meet friends at a bar and not have to worry about getting home after. Actually, walking home after a big meal is a great thing.

Then again, on the flip side, it's a pain in the winter, when the sidewalks are full of slush and its freezing out. I don't even think I could say I prefer one or the other. There are times now I'm so happy to get in my car and drive to the movies or the supermarket. But I always feel bad when my kids are complaining when they have to walk 2 blocks somewhere, or when I get on the scale and see the extra few lbs I gained!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 PM

18 posts, read 19,631 times
I love the walkability of Larchmont! But walkability doesn't mean I do everything by foot. I still drive to the grocery store or even the post office, but it's nice to be able to walk to places too. I much prefer running lots of small errands with my kids in the stroller the entire time versus having to buckle/unbuckle and get them in/out of the car 3-4 times. It's also very convenient to do school dropoff/pickup by foot instead of helping everyone in/out of the car and driving around looking for a parking spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County