U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:54 PM

15,591 posts, read 6,159,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Kaplan View Post
A quick look at last year's White Plains City Budget indicates that the city took in 22 million dollars of revenue from parking, representing over 14% of the city's total revenue. That was the third highest source of income, behind property taxes and the sales tax.
Not a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 11:07 AM

50 posts, read 77,237 times
White Plains is notorious for aggressive ticketing in downtown. That's the bad news.

(The good news is that tickets are much cheaper than in NYC!)

With respect to City Center, you primarily need to make sure you punch the right space number into the ticket machine and/or that you didn't get a ticket for something else. WP will get you for expired inspections, etc. Everything they can.

Street ticketing can be questionable sometimes. One time I parked on the street for a half hour. I moved my car to go somewhere, came back and parked it on the same street —but two spaces down. 10 min. later I had a ticket for exceeding the 2-hr limit. The officer apparently thought I hadn't moved my car. I fought it in court and won because I had proof I had moved my car: the place I had gone to momentarily was...the public safety building/courthouse to pay a prior ticket! I had a time-stamped cashier's receipt to show the judge!

Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 194 times
I live in White Plains. My landlord will only provide parking for one. My roommates been there way longer then I . There for She gets the spot. Where does that leave me? On the street. Parking around my house on a lot is near 300 a month . my tickets are racking up with me parking in the street because its snowing or because its too cold to try and park it in another town and walk back. I want to leave white plains as soon as possible, it sucks

Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2323 View Post
I live in White Plains. My landlord will only provide parking for one. My roommates been there way longer then I . There for She gets the spot. Where does that leave me? On the street. Parking around my house on a lot is near 300 a month . my tickets are racking up with me parking in the street because its snowing or because its too cold to try and park it in another town and walk back. I want to leave white plains as soon as possible, it sucks
I don't know what part of White Plains you live in but the garage on Chester & Maple is much cheaper than that, https://www.cityofwhiteplains.com/Fa...Maple-Garage-2 , $140 a month, 24/7.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:26 AM

68 posts, read 21,395 times
I stay out of White Plains because of the parking situation. Parking on Mamaroneck Avenue is impossible, and
even when you find a space you have to worry about the meter. I used to go to the Galleria until Bay Plaza opened in the Bronx with free parking at surrounding lots (even though Bay Plaza has a parking fee, you can walk over from the free lots). Who needs the stress of worrying about the meters and parking tickets when shopping should be a relaxing experience? Many times on nice weather days I think this would be a great day to stroll on Mamaroneck Ave if parking was convenient. It's a good thing we have areas like Central Avenue, and shopping at stores with free parking.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I stay out of White Plains because of the parking situation. Parking on Mamaroneck Avenue is impossible, and
even when you find a space you have to worry about the meter. I used to go to the Galleria until Bay Plaza opened in the Bronx with free parking at surrounding lots (even though Bay Plaza has a parking fee, you can walk over from the free lots). Who needs the stress of worrying about the meters and parking tickets when shopping should be a relaxing experience? Many times on nice weather days I think this would be a great day to stroll on Mamaroneck Ave if parking was convenient. It's a good thing we have areas like Central Avenue, and shopping at stores with free parking.
There are municipal lots sprinkled around within one block of Mamaroneck Avenue that have extendable parking if you have the app. I highly recommend the app.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:30 AM

404 posts, read 524,833 times
Wow.
I'm from Westchester but moved to Dallas many years ago. It is unheard of here to have meters in a parking lot or even paid parking - it's always free. How does retail survive if people have to pay to park?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 AM

740 posts, read 449,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
Wow.
I'm from Westchester but moved to Dallas many years ago. It is unheard of here to have meters in a parking lot or even paid parking - it's always free. How does retail survive if people have to pay to park?
Probably because there are really no viable alternatives for (non-online) shopping. Some of the retail outlets like Ridge Hill in Yonkers will validate your parking if you spend x dollars, but it's usually pretty high. I'm originally from the Midwest and it took a long time to get used to the struggle of driving places for errands in Westchester. The concept of hopping on a freeway to just driving up to a store or a mall to do something quickly is a luxury, and driving 5 miles on the roads here feels like 10. Same goes for hanging out at a coffee shop to read, etc. More people = more traffic, hassle, crowds, noise, etc. but that's basically what you sign up for living out this way. The best part is all these things I'm complaining about improved at least 50% when I moved to Westchester from North Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or