Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 10:48 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I thought the below was one of the reasons I enjoyed living in Westchester county. All you need to do is attach your bike to the back of your car and drive to the location.
I'm not trying to start an argument but except for South/North County trail it's a pretty miserable experience for cyclist. I'm taking about a serious ride 40 to 100 miles not 1 mile around the block. The whole purpose is to be able to ride a bike without having to drive a car. The roads are pretty narrow, full of potholes and drivers tend to be pretty aggressive. I don't recall the county to make any effort to improve things. The shut down the Yorktown part for two years after Sandy.

I still enjoyed riding the trail tremendously before we moved out. We spent 10 years in WC and nothing had changed for better. Once you leave, the US seems to be a very dynamic place. People in WC are just plain happy with their status quo, lacrosse and tiny tennis club for obvious reasons while the country and the world keeps changing.

I still strongly disagree with reduing the Bee-Line BxM4C hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:19 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMNBeauty View Post
Hello,
I am new to Westchester (6 months).
From my experience your CONs on Westchester are accurate. I happen to love winter (being from northern Minnesota), so that is not an issue for me.

I can only speak for myself, but Westchester overall sucks.
You can find great villages or towns that will have the feel you are looking for.
If you are near the Hudson you will be one of the privileged residents that has side walks. For whatever reason, much of Westchester lacks common sense of having sidewalks. So if there are no side walks there are also very few cross walks.
Westchester is not conducive to healthy living.
Bike lanes?..... Nope
Par Courses? .... Nope
Public stairs for climbing?.... Nope
And as I already mentioned -- No side walks.

The access to so many types of stores is wonderful.
My area of Westchester Mrs. Greens, Trader Joes and H-Mart (super Asian grocery) are all free to park at.
Whole foods, (¡)Target(!) and others you pay for parking.
Almost all Malls you must pay to park at as well. I find this fact terribly crazy; parking is free at The Mall of America but not at 'The Westchester'.

I too have found this place to have an 'elitist' aires about themselves. They are needlessly horn happy. As it seems they are all keeping up with the Kardashians or whom ever.

I'm sure I have more things I could ramble on with how I dislike Westchester. But you make life happy wherever you go.

Best bets for happiness in Westchester would be along the Hudson; except Yonkers, the schools are bad (put your children in private).

Best of luck!
Wow, so you've never posted on City Data before today, but you created an account just to say that Westchester sucks?

To each his/her own, but frankly I think you're just completely out of place in the NYC metro area. If you think Westchester is "horn happy," why don't you go drive around Staten Island and see what it's like? Or move to wealthy areas in Long Island and see what keeping up with the Kardashians is really about. I don't entirely disagree with some of your minor criticisms, but overall Westchester is fantastic and is considered a very prestigious and desirable place to live.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:30 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
I'm taking about a serious ride 40 to 100 miles not 1 mile around the block.
That is some serious bike riding. Did you ever try the GW bridge to Bear Mt bridge loop?

Quote:
I still enjoyed riding the trail tremendously before we moved out. We spent 10 years in WC and nothing had changed for better. Once you leave, the US seems to be a very dynamic place. People in WC are just plain happy with their status quo, lacrosse and tiny tennis club for obvious reasons while the country and the world keeps changing.[/i]
I don't think there is a perfect place, it more like whatever you are willing to live with. I am only considering moving back there because I have family in the area and I think the support system will be beneficial for when my wife and I have kids (both of us are working parents).

Old 06-10-2015, 04:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to start an argument but except for South/North County trail it's a pretty miserable experience for cyclist. I'm taking about a serious ride 40 to 100 miles not 1 mile around the block. The whole purpose is to be able to ride a bike without having to drive a car. The roads are pretty narrow, full of potholes and drivers tend to be pretty aggressive. I don't recall the county to make any effort to improve things. The shut down the Yorktown part for two years after Sandy.

I still enjoyed riding the trail tremendously before we moved out. We spent 10 years in WC and nothing had changed for better. Once you leave, the US seems to be a very dynamic place. People in WC are just plain happy with their status quo, lacrosse and tiny tennis club for obvious reasons while the country and the world keeps changing.

I still strongly disagree with reduing the Bee-Line BxM4C hours.
You're right, bike riding here does indeed suck if you're comparing it to seriously bike-friendly places. Salt Lake City is an interesting counterpoint. There are bike lanes all over and the infrastructure is friendly to commuting by bike. And EVERYBODY bikes! The only good biking in Westchester is road biking in northern areas, the terrain is terrific. Still, the road surface seems to get worse year after year.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:42 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
You're right, bike riding here does indeed suck if you're comparing it to seriously bike-friendly places. Salt Lake City is an interesting counterpoint. There are bike lanes all over and the infrastructure is friendly to commuting by bike. And EVERYBODY bikes! The only good biking in Westchester is road biking in northern areas, the terrain is terrific. Still, the road surface seems to get worse year after year.
Denver/Salt Lake/Philly are extremely bike friendly.

As I was saying, nothing has changed in the past 10 years. Villages are asking for money every year and yet I fail to see any developments that would improve people's accessibility to cycling. I don't want to come off as a bike nut but cycling is very healthy and I would always see a ton of people cycling the North County trail. I assume we should do with what we already have. People do love their cars in Westchester County.

I must say I miss most Ulster region/Catskill region after moving out. It's a fantastic area for outdoors but so economically depressed that makes me cry.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
That is some serious bike riding. Did you ever try the GW bridge to Bear Mt bridge loop?

I don't think there is a perfect place, it more like whatever you are willing to live with. I am only considering moving back there because I have family in the area and I think the support system will be beneficial for when my wife and I have kids (both of us are working parents).
Yep, it's a very nice loop. It was a lot easier for us to jump on bikes in the morning and start riding the North County trail since we work from home.

Westchester could really capitalize on extending the South County trail to the Bronx and West Side. On the side note, most people that I work with in NYC being from Lond Island, New Jersey or some transplants think that Westcheter is some Upstate NY place. I kid you not.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Wow, so you've never posted on City Data before today, but you created an account just to say that Westchester sucks?

To each his/her own, but frankly I think you're just completely out of place in the NYC metro area. If you think Westchester is "horn happy," why don't you go drive around Staten Island and see what it's like? Or move to wealthy areas in Long Island and see what keeping up with the Kardashians is really about. I don't entirely disagree with some of your minor criticisms, but overall Westchester is fantastic and is considered a very prestigious and desirable place to live.

Well, thank you for commenting on my first post ever! Wow, you really proved my point of the 'elitest' attitude held by many Westchesterites.
1. I created an account here for negative opinion with my first post. (when exactly is it acceptable to have a first post BD1978?,,, sorry I didn/'t know you were the mod here.)
2. I'm out completely out of place in the NYC metro area. Sorry, but Westchester is a suburban area, metro areas have sidewalks and mass trasit.
3. "over all Westchester is fantastic and is considered a very prestigious and desirable place to live"....Really by who? and by who's standards?...People in Westchester?

Horn happy? Yes people in Westchester are horn happy. I'm not going to Staten Island to find out what it's like there to comment.
Similarly, I'm not going to LI to see that people there also need to spend money to show their value.

I moved to Westchester from the city voted BEST outdoor city to live in, --in the ENTIRE United States. Where I come from people are courteous and respectful. The city and state I'm from care about the residents and their health (2nd state in the nation to ban smoking in public). Their is a strong infrastructure for healthy living, I cannot say the same about Westchester.

Westchester, isn't a bad place to live. In my OPINION, living here is not conducive for healthy living, unless you own a car so you can DRIVE to the gym or trails and you can DRIVE to bring your bike somewhere.
Sorry, my opinion is just that.
Yet fact is fact.
Hardly any sidewalks.
ZERO par courses.
ZERO BIKE LANES.
and the mass transit is awful.

Westchester - you must own a car unless you live right in a village or White Plains.

Oh BD1978, you are so very right, Westchester is desirable and prestigious because most American's want to have a large carbon foot print. And yes BD1978, I did create an account to have an opinion about why I think Westchester sucks.

Westchester is not progressive; I doubt it will ever be.

Last edited by NorthernMNBeauty; 06-12-2015 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 06:58 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Well, thank you for commenting on my first post ever! Wow, you really proved my point of the 'elitest' attitude held by many Westchesterites.
1. I created an account here for negative opinion with my first post. (when exactly is it acceptable to have a first post BD1978?,,, sorry I didn/'t know you were the mod here.)
2. I'm out completely out of place in the NYC metro area. Sorry, but Westchester is a suburban area, metro areas have sidewalks and mass trasit.
3. "over all Westchester is fantastic and is considered a very prestigious and desirable place to live"....Really by who? and by who's standards?...People in Westchester?

Horn happy? Yes people in Westchester are horn happy. I'm not going to Staten Island to find out what it's like there to comment.
Similarly, I'm not going to LI to see that people there also need to spend money to show their value.

I moved to Westchester from the city voted BEST outdoor city to live in, --in the ENTIRE United States. Where I come from people are courteous and respectful. The city and state I'm from care about the residents and their health (2nd state in the nation to ban smoking in public). Their is a strong infrastructure for healthy living, I cannot say the same about Westchester.

Westchester, isn't a bad place to live. In my OPINION, living here is not conducive for healthy living, unless you own a car so you can DRIVE to the gym or trails and you can DRIVE to bring your bike somewhere.
Yet fact is fact.
Hardly any sidewalks.
ZERO par courses.
ZERO BIKE LANES.

Westchester - you must own a car unless you live right in a village or White Plains.

Oh BD1978, you are so very right, Westchester is desirable and prestigious because most American's want to have a large carbon foot print. And yes BD1978, I did create an account to have an opinion about why I think Westchester sucks.

Quite a rant, it's pretty clear that you really shouldn't be here, given your ideas of what is most important. But, for just a moment, can you imagine that there might - just might - be people that don't hold sidewalks as dear as yourself?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:24 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:

Yet fact is fact.
Hardly any sidewalks.
ZERO par courses.
ZERO BIKE LANES.

Bully for you.

But importantly, we don't feel the need to join your forum and crap on your area.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
For a minute I thought I was reading the Long Island board, such passion in the posts. Sometimes the new transplants have the most insightful observations because they are seeking amenities that their last location had where established residents just accept things the way they are. Having lived away from New City for years I can look at this little suburban nirvana that everyone is willing to pay way too much to live in and see it for what it is. The town is old, tired, and dated I think the last update was somewhere in the 70's, food shopping stinks the roads seem to be in continual repair. Towns in Westchester are no different many have nice village areas many don't their old that's just a fact and as older towns outdoor environment was not part of the planning. Lets remember to argue to points and not the posters..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County