Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,272 times

Advertisements

Westchester is in essence a giant private school district for Metro NY. For those who live and breath private education for their children (and all of the associated properties of such a local) it is a mecca for living. For those who are seeking something else, it is wanting.

The problem is that given the overall economic and political trajectory of the region and the country, a place for a well rounded lifestyle is difficult or impossible to find. It is the challenge for most of the 99%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:12 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Westchester is in essence a giant private school district for Metro NY. For those who live and breath private education for their children (and all of the associated properties of such a local) it is a mecca for living. For those who are seeking something else, it is wanting.

The problem is that given the overall economic and political trajectory of the region and the country, a place for a well rounded lifestyle is difficult or impossible to find. It is the challenge for most of the 99%.
Pretty much nails it. Brilliant summation.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:18 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,187 times
[quote=I moved to Westchester from the city voted BEST outdoor city to live in, --in the ENTIRE United States. Where I come from people are courteous and respectful. The city and state I'm from care about the residents and their health (2nd state in the nation to ban smoking in public). Their is a strong infrastructure for healthy living, I cannot say the same about Westchester.[/quote]

Please go back to Minnesota. You obviously don't belong here, and your need to publicize your displeasure in a ridiculous rant about sidewalks tells me far more about you than it tells me about Westchester.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:41 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMNBeauty View Post
Westchester is not progressive; I doubt it will ever be.
You volunteered to move to Westchester. As other posters have pointed out your complaints have been preexisting before you made the decision to move there. No one forced you to live there. You should take responsibility for your actions. Moving to a neighborhood and expecting it to change based on your whim seems like a recipe for unhappiness. You give transplants a bad reputation as people who love to complain for the sake of complaining.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Please go back to Minnesota. You obviously don't belong here, and your need to publicize your displeasure in a ridiculous rant about sidewalks tells me far more about you than it tells me about Westchester.
Ehhh, he made lot of valid points - all legit. You don't have to particptite in the discussion. Yes, it was absolutely "retarded" when I realized sidewalk or pavement (that what we call them in Europe) is a luxury. I assume geniuses in Westchester wanted to outsmart the Romans and since history wasn't and isn't very popular in the States we have no sidewalks in Westchester.

I personally blame it on Robert Moses. Absolutely terrible person.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 AM

354 posts, read 775,920 times
Just a correction to NorthernMNBeauty's post - I live in a suburban part of White Plains. I have sidewalks on my street, and White Plains has extensive bike lanes in the downtown area. So it is wrong to say Westchester has ZERO bike lanes.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
Ehhh, he made lot of valid points - all legit. You don't have to particptite in the discussion.
She absolutely made some valid points, which I acknowledged in my first response to her. But then she double downed on her anti-Westchester diatribe, and called me out for criticizing her. It's obvious to me from reading her posts that the NYC metro area is an enormous culture shock for her and she doesn't belong here.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 AM

59 posts, read 147,364 times
What's the big deal about sidewalks? Someone please enlighten me. I've lived in 5 different houses in Westchester, in 4 towns; out of those residences, 2 had sidewalks, 3 didn't. I never noticed a difference or cared one way or the other.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:19 AM

276 posts, read 398,165 times
I'll give it a shot. Sidewalks are a common municipal easements in many suburban communities. However, in fast growing areas that formed prior to the establishment of municipal governments, common to suburbs in large, fast-growing metropolitan areas (e.g., New York City and San Francisco), communities were established in "rural" fashion with little real municipal coordination. While people associate sidewalks with charming and walkable neighborhoods, there have been a couple of reasons why there are many suburbs in these regions that don't have sidewalks.

Practical Timing Problems. The first house to build along a country road surely won't have a sidewalk in front of it, and after the tenth house on the road is built, who is going to force the first nine houses to now put in a sidewalk? Who's going to pay for it?
Legal Liability Problems. Some people don't like sidewalks for "legal liability reasons." It is an easement in most cases, and it becomes a required maintenance item. The fact that homeowners have been sued by people who were walking on the sidewalk in front of their houses spooks some people to no end. It doesn't exactly work that way, but the fact that it is an issue means some people will hate them.

You see sidewalks in areas where there is significantly more suburban planning. I'm with others that there little difference to me.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:47 AM

148 posts, read 531,626 times
Sidewalks suck! Totally unnecessary and a waste of cement! They are personified as a "nice to have" and make the street look complete for all those OCD people!
My main complaint is there are zero street lights on the major highways (i.e.: Taconic and 684) and most local roads! I'd rather the money spreads into this project vs. sidewalks. Sidewalks are for inner cities not the burbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County