U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 8,650 times

Advertisements

We are considering a house that can only fit one car in the garage, so trying to understand how critical it is during winter to have both cars garaged? (for ease of driving car w/o having to remove snow, heat up, etc)

We would most likely both need cars (driven separately) - not every day but 3 days out of the work week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 AM

30 posts, read 49,616 times
i don't think it is critical. We had a 1 car garage at our old house, but 90% of the time parked outside. Yeah, its a little annoying to scrape off frost or whatever, but you can just start the car and let it run for 3 minutes to help it along.

we have no garage at our new house, which isn't an issue for the cars, but does make it hard to store snow tires and things like that.

Chris

Old 05-04-2015, 09:48 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,121,938 times
I never use one. For heating - I use a remote start anyway. Warms up the car nicely. Unless you've got an older car (pre-2000 which are prone to rust) you might end up never using it other than for storing junk, so I wouldn't fret about having one car outside unless you are old/frail and snow removal is impossible for you.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM

365 posts, read 877,597 times
It is a major pain to me. If you can afford it, get the 2 car garage. However, those are rarer than 1 car garages in lower westchester so you will pay a premium. Up to you to decide if its worth it.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:57 AM

223 posts, read 681,897 times
we have a two car garage but there is junk in one side so we keep one car outside. Would go with a 2 car or get a shed

Old 05-04-2015, 11:48 AM

277 posts, read 557,461 times
We have a one car garage now and we always say that the next house we buy, a 2-car garage is a requirement. It's much much easier. Its not just a matter of clearing the snow off the car. It gets in the way of plowing/shoveling, etc. Even more important though - is the driveway wide enough for two cars to fit side by side? Ours is just a single car width, which is even more annoying. Every night you have to plan ahead who is going to be leaving first, and juggle the cars around, etc. Again, not the end of the world, but if I had any choice, I would try as hard as possible to get a double width driveway with 2 car garage.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:04 PM

674 posts, read 663,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintessa View Post
We are considering a house that can only fit one car in the garage, so trying to understand how critical it is during winter to have both cars garaged? (for ease of driving car w/o having to remove snow, heat up, etc)

We would most likely both need cars (driven separately) - not every day but 3 days out of the work week.
I have never garaged my vehicles and I live in the north-western corner of the County. Its not critical to me at all. But it is really about you the driver. When we get over snow which requires removal, over a few inches, it takes me 45 minutes to clear my driveway and another 10 minutes to clear both vehicles. Its probably a bit longer for me since my two vehicles are a large F-150 and a large SUV. Its about that 10 minutes. Whatever time you spend clearing the driveway really will not change. But the cars will take time. They warm up while I clear the driveway, then I drive them down to the street, clean of the snow, and drive them back. As for heating them up, I have remote starters in both cars. They heat up from the comfort of my home.

If I had a garage, I might use it, but its not critical to me.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:53 PM

30 posts, read 49,616 times
the wide driveway is key. garage or not, single-width driveway would be a pain.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:30 PM

815 posts, read 1,980,849 times
For us having an attached 2 car garage was a non-negotiable. ABSOLUTELY had to have it. Once you've had it I don't think you can go back...

Scraping snow and ice off my car at 7:30 in the morning in the freezing cold? No thank you. I go into my heated garage, hop in my car, and off I go. Brilliant. Why some people use their garages for storage and park outside I'll never know.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 AM

674 posts, read 663,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
For us having an attached 2 car garage was a non-negotiable. ABSOLUTELY had to have it. Once you've had it I don't think you can go back...

Scraping snow and ice off my car at 7:30 in the morning in the freezing cold? No thank you. I go into my heated garage, hop in my car, and off I go. Brilliant. Why some people use their garages for storage and park outside I'll never know.
Again, its all about the driver. I had a two car garage and I converted it to a playroom for the kids, which is now a man cave for me. I never understood the waste of space for a garage. I mean its just a little cold outside. to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or