U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 PM
 
8 posts, read 15,076 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a pest control company that can effectively deal with these? For the last two summers, I have experienced nests being built in my lawn (they look like sand dunes) and I've been told that this will keep re-occurring until the nests are completely eliminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:14 AM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 8,131,104 times
Reputation: 15088
They'll likely come back after that too. Can you keep the area wet? That's discourages them. They like fine dry soil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 08:36 AM
 
37 posts, read 52,559 times
Reputation: 27
Cicada killer wasps tend to be solitary, and they don't have nests that persist from one season to another. IMHO they are a relatively benign wasp--they control insect populations, are not aggressive and only live for about 60 days--so unless you or your kids are out in the lawn a lot, I'd be inclined to let them be if there weren't lots of them. I agree with bg7 that it would be best to discourage them by watering frequently. Other than spot spraying them with wasp spray, any lawn-wide solution would involve covering your lawn with insecticide which may not be worth it for these guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 01:28 PM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,399 posts, read 5,224,678 times
Reputation: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs317 View Post
Cicada killer wasps tend to be solitary, and they don't have nests that persist from one season to another. IMHO they are a relatively benign wasp--they control insect populations, are not aggressive and only live for about 60 days--so unless you or your kids are out in the lawn a lot, I'd be inclined to let them be if there weren't lots of them. I agree with bg7 that it would be best to discourage them by watering frequently. Other than spot spraying them with wasp spray, any lawn-wide solution would involve covering your lawn with insecticide which may not be worth it for these guys.
It's not just your opinion - it's a fact! Despite their terrifying appearance they're not aggressive, don't give chase and can be handled. why not just leave 'em alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 01:49 PM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 8,131,104 times
Reputation: 15088
I used to be bothered by them, thinking they were hornets, until I figured out the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 02:02 PM
 
2,059 posts, read 1,296,151 times
Reputation: 10002
We used to have them under the deck of the pool at my childhood home. Besides being kinda creepy as they pullllled the cicadas slowly between the cracks of the boards, they never bothered us in the slightest.

Sure are scary looking though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 PM
 
Location: NY
12,263 posts, read 9,418,516 times
Reputation: 8028
I wish we had stink bug killer wasps. The damn things are all over my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 10:39 AM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 8,131,104 times
Reputation: 15088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I wish we had stink bug killer wasps. The damn things are all over my yard.
Yea but they seem generally harmless? I'm more interested in mosquito killers. We got minnows for the pond to eat the larvae - now should I set up a bat roost too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 07:44 PM
 
Location: NY
12,263 posts, read 9,418,516 times
Reputation: 8028
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yea but they seem generally harmless? I'm more interested in mosquito killers. We got minnows for the pond to eat the larvae - now should I set up a bat roost too?
I've had great success with this stuff Summit Chemical Company | Mosquito and Insect Control Products – Mosquito Bits®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top