Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:36 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,721,640 times

Advertisements

am i wrong? it seems like there is very little to do in Westchester County and what is available out there is dwarfed/amateur in comparison to the big city just a bit south.

as a late 20-something i find the area incredibly boring. i can't be in the minority here. even in NJ it seems there is more to do.

entertainment and ESPECIALLY dining seem to have HUGE gaps in quality and quantity. obviously it's silly to compare a suburb to one of the greatest cities in the world, but i do think it is a detriment to the community at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 AM

562 posts, read 1,056,265 times
Why is it a detriment? If I want NYC nightlife, I just hop on a train and bam, I'm there in 45 minutes. There are plenty of neighborhoods in NYC where it would take you that long to get places by subway. A lot of people choose to live up here to get away from the hustle and bustle.

There are great music venues like the Paramount, Tarrytown Music Hall, The Capitol Theatre... there are also plenty of good places to dine as well. My husband and I hardly at a loss when we want to find a specific food.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,539,297 times
That's an odd way of looking at it. Having one of the most incredible cities in the world on your doorstep is a boon. If you're in your 20s and bored what are you doing in the burbsanyway? Go out and do what you want to do. Get back to the burbs later.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:40 AM

866 posts, read 2,479,494 times
I'm confused. Why would Westchester need everything that you find in the city...? When you can be in the city in under an hour???

Isn't that the whole point? Have some peace and quiet, with easy access to all that the city has to offer?

This post is weird. If you want the city life then go live in the city.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:22 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,407,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
am i wrong? it seems like there is very little to do in Westchester County and what is available out there is dwarfed/amateur in comparison to the big city just a bit south.

as a late 20-something i find the area incredibly boring. i can't be in the minority here. even in NJ it seems there is more to do.

entertainment and ESPECIALLY dining seem to have HUGE gaps in quality and quantity. obviously it's silly to compare a suburb to one of the greatest cities in the world, but i do think it is a detriment to the community at large.
Westchester County other than maybe White Plains is largely a bedroom community for NYC. It was designed this way from the very beginning. Other older, large cities with railroads connecting to the central city are similar. Go to the wealthy North Shore suburbs of Chicago and it's the same thing at night. Even head to Long Island's North Shore and it's pretty much the same thing.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:17 AM

11 posts, read 18,278 times
Agree with the posters who have replied re all the cultural resources of Westchester. There are also Purchase College and the Burns Film Center as well as the Katonah Museum. Am not sure Westchester is a place to go clubbing although this is definitely out of my realm lol but if you are into culture there is lots available.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM

985 posts, read 1,012,754 times
Count me among the people who think that Westchester has terrific dining options. White Plains alone has every type of cuisine that you can possibly want. As other posters said, if you're looking for the nightlife and depth of museums/attractions that Manhattan has, you're going to be sorely disappointed. But if you're a family who wants to live in close proximity to Manhattan, I'd take Westchester over NJ and Long Island any day of the week in terms of dining and in general.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:36 PM

14 posts, read 16,080 times
I've seen you post here, and on Reddit, consistently about how much you dislike Westchester, and how boring it is. The taxes are high, you miss your friends and family back in Jersey, and you're unhappy/bored/hate it here.

Have you considered moving back to Monmouth? Or maybe seeing a therapist?

It's possible that Westchester isn't the problem.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:12 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,721,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD111 View Post
I've seen you post here, and on Reddit, consistently about how much you dislike Westchester, and how boring it is. The taxes are high, you miss your friends and family back in Jersey, and you're unhappy/bored/hate it here.

Have you considered moving back to Monmouth? Or maybe seeing a therapist?

It's possible that Westchester isn't the problem.
ayyyy lmao

Old 06-05-2015, 10:49 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,308,838 times
Westchester benefits enormously from being next to NYC.

That's why dumpy homes in Larchmont can be sold for 1.5 million. It's because of access to NYC. If Larchmont were outside of Detroit that 1.5 million home would be worth 150k.

Obviously Westchester isn't going to have equivalent dining/nightlife as Manhattan. NYC is (arguably, at least, in some aspects) the greatest city on the planet.

Even Paris and London don't match up super well with NYC, IMO, so I don't think White Plains is going to blow away Manhattan anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County