Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:21 PM

10 posts, read 17,368 times

Advertisements

Friends,

I am a newbie to this forum, and this is literally my first post. What an incredible venue to learn about a community!

My family is contemplating moving from Minneapolis, Minnesota to New York for work. Both my wife and I will end up working in Upper East Side, Manhattan. While we are attracted to living in UES in a 2-bedroom apartment, coming from the U.S. mid-west we are "spoiled" living in a fairly large single-family home with a huge lot. Hence, we are inclined to consider Westchester.

Further, we have a soon to be 5-year old daughter, and she will be going to Kindergarten this year. We have heard great things about schools in Westchester, but haven't had a chance to visit any of the towns and villages yet (trip planned for end of June). We have friends/colleagues in Scarsdale, Edgemont, Bronxville and Ardsley, and will most likely start our search there.

The question for the day I have for you: Assuming we pick one of these lower Westchester towns, is it fairly common for both parents to commute to Manhattan? How do such families manage school timings for the kid, after-school activities etc.?

We are concerned that my wife and I will end up spending a ton of time in Metro-North/Subway traveling to UES, and will not be able to give quality time to our 5-year old. We will have some flexibility with our work schedule, but not a whole lot.

I will appreciate your feedback and advice.

Cheers,
Blaze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:43 PM

91 posts, read 196,289 times
Based on my current research (because I am in the same position as you), Ardsley is your best bet. There is an on-site after school program (Ardsley Children's Center) and the district has busing. As for the others: Scarsdale: no onsite after school program; Edgemont: no busing; and Bronxville: too rich for my blood. As for both parents working, Ardsley has many more two-career families than the other three.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:09 PM

59 posts, read 147,249 times
It is not at all uncommon for both parents to commute to the city, but many of these families have full time nannies (at least the families I know, do). There are many nice towns with great schools in lower Westchester, although prepare yourself for a huge price increase. You will not find many large single family houses with huge lots at even a remotely similar price. In southern Westchester, you pay for the proximity to the city. Size-wise, you get more for your money the farther north you go.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:34 AM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_hill89 View Post
Based on my current research (because I am in the same position as you), Ardsley is your best bet. There is an on-site after school program (Ardsley Children's Center) and the district has busing. As for the others: Scarsdale: no onsite after school program; Edgemont: no busing; and Bronxville: too rich for my blood. As for both parents working, Ardsley has many more two-career families than the other three.
Ardsley has no train station and therefore you have to drive to a neighboring town to catch the train. If you are not a resident of that town you cannot get a resident permit to park at the train station, so you would need to carefully consider which station you would go to and the parking situation there for non-residents.

Personally, I would NOT consider Ardsley if you BOTH need to commute via Metro North.

Two programs that I know of:

Scarsdale has the Kids' B.A.S.E and Little School (I think BASE stands for Before and After School Enrichment, check out kbls.org), which allows you to drop them off before school at the facility, and buses them to and from school. Then you pick them up at the facility. It's not exactly close to the train station though.

Mamaroneck has the Keeps After School Program (keepsafterschool.org) that picks your kids up from school.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 AM

156 posts, read 304,770 times
[quote=streetsmart;39819757]Ardsley has no train station and therefore you have to drive to a neighboring town to catch the train. If you are not a resident of that town you cannot get a resident permit to park at the train station, so you would need to carefully consider which station you would go to and the parking situation there for non-residents.

Ummm, is that really true? Ardsley does have a train station. Near Mercy College, no?? Or is it being closed and I was unaware?

MNR Stations

Old 05-30-2015, 12:12 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
[quote=SulfurDog;39819873]
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Ardsley has no train station and therefore you have to drive to a neighboring town to catch the train. If you are not a resident of that town you cannot get a resident permit to park at the train station, so you would need to carefully consider which station you would go to and the parking situation there for non-residents.

Ummm, is that really true? Ardsley does have a train station. Near Mercy College, no?? Or is it being closed and I was unaware?

MNR Stations
The station is Ardsley-on-Hudson, which is NOT in Ardsley it's in Irvington. Confusing? Yes. Hence the need for vigilant research.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 PM

Sections of Ardsley are in the unincorporated section of the Town of Greenburgh and are entitled to park at Hartsdale, which is quite close. Others park at lots near the Scarsdale station that are operated by the Town of Eastchester.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:08 PM

263 posts, read 343,889 times
I just moved to Ardsley and commute to the city. It wasn't hard to find parking in the Scarsdale metro north station you just have to pay a little more. I park on the freightway garage as a non resident. There is much fear mongering on this forum about parking options. Your best bet is to call each town directly.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 17,368 times
Thank you all for your inputs. Let me also throw Chappaqua in the mix. Apart from good schools (at least based on what we've heard), you seem to get bigger lots and more privacy.

That said, is the commute to NYC Upper East Side from Chappaqua going to be dreadful?

Old 05-31-2015, 08:08 AM

I don't think it's such a terrible commute from Chappaqua. About 20 minutes longer each way on the train. Get off the train at 125th and take the 4/5/6 down the east side. Can't speak to whether the town has a lot of 2-career families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County