Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 9,092 times

Advertisements

I am considering renting an apartment in Bronxville Village. It's within walking distance to the Bronxville train station and the "downtown" area. I know Bronxville is known for its upper middle class residents and its reputation for being "waspy." I hope this doesn't sound ignorant but does this translate to the cost of everyday items such as groceries, coffee at the coffee shop, and eating out being much higher than other places that might not have as wealthy of a population? I currently live in upper Manhattan (inwood) and my local grocery store has pretty decent and average prices. The restaurant around the corner where I love to go to has $8-$9 beers. I'm just trying to figure out if what I normally spend on miscellaneous items like what I mentioned above will be higher in a town like Bronxville. Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:19 PM

115 posts, read 211,477 times
I don't live in Bronxville, but do live near by. It's a small town and I imagine most of the stuff in the town itself is going to be more expensive. There is however an A&P in town which is probably quite reasonable, and if you don't want to go anywhere in Bronxville there's always going to be the more middle class areas like Fleetwood or Eastchester nearby which will have more affordable options. Mamaroneck has a ton of great restaurants that are fairly affordable is your willing to drive 20 or so minutes. And the only reason you sound ignorant is because you call Bronxville "upper-middle class", if any town is rich, it is Bronxville.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 AM

643 posts, read 763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8p123 View Post
I don't live in Bronxville, but do live near by. It's a small town and I imagine most of the stuff in the town itself is going to be more expensive. There is however an A&P in town which is probably quite reasonable, and if you don't want to go anywhere in Bronxville there's always going to be the more middle class areas like Fleetwood or Eastchester nearby which will have more affordable options. Mamaroneck has a ton of great restaurants that are fairly affordable is your willing to drive 20 or so minutes. And the only reason you sound ignorant is because you call Bronxville "upper-middle class", if any town is rich, it is Bronxville.
Agree. The only thing I thought was "ignorant" in the OP's post was the "upper middle-class" comment. Bronxville is a rich town. My guess would be that you will pay for your location. But there is no better way to know than by doing your research. Hit the local grocery stores/supermarkets and compare the prices on the items you normally buy in Upper Manhattan. I'm POSITIVE things will be more expensive. Those Dominican grocery stores in upper manhattan are soooooo affordable compared to whatever you'll get in Bronxville. Also, pick out some restaurants in Bronxville, visit their websites and check out the prices in the menu. That should give you an idea of how much you'll spend based on a normal night out. If you like the latin cuisine that is so abundant in upper manhattan, you won't find it in Bronxville.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 AM

222 posts, read 537,676 times
Dude if you're worried about the cost of groceries Bronxville is not the town for you. I'm not sure I've ever been to a richer and more expensive town.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,869,108 times
I wouldn't move to Bronxville unless I had kids who need to attend a good public school. I would live in the downtown white plains area if I was searching for affordability and decent commute to Manhattan (40 minute train to grand central). There is a bunch of bars (including buffalo wild wings) and Walmart in the urban downtown area. Grocery is much cheaper than NYC.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM

I'm not worried about the cost of groceries per se but used that as an example of cost of living. My point was to question the cost of living in Bronxville. The reason I said "upper middle class" was to not be presumptuous that Bronxville was only full of rich people. I thought I would offend someone on this forum. I guess I was wrong because it seems like I offended people by saying "upper middle class." Anyway, I thought I could get some advice but I am surprised that people's comments here were a little on the rude side.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 PM

643 posts, read 763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkalai View Post
I'm not worried about the cost of groceries per se but used that as an example of cost of living. My point was to question the cost of living in Bronxville. The reason I said "upper middle class" was to not be presumptuous that Bronxville was only full of rich people. I thought I would offend someone on this forum. I guess I was wrong because it seems like I offended people by saying "upper middle class." Anyway, I thought I could get some advice but I am surprised that people's comments here were a little on the rude side.

Oh well, thanks anyway.
I hope my comment wasn't offensive or rude. I honestly did not intend it to be.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:42 PM

115 posts, read 211,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkalai View Post

Oh well, thanks anyway.
Didn't mean to come off as rude, sorry! By saying "the only thing that makes you sound ignorant is that you think Bronxville is upper middle class", I was only implying that you should look into the town a little bit more. I didn't know you were saying upper middle class just not to offend people. I don't think your ignorant at all.

To better answer your question, most stuff in Bronxville is going to be expensive, but as long as you can cover the apartment, your surrounded by towns where everything is half the price it is in Bronxville. Trains are still going to cost the same in Bronxville, so is your car and there are cheap grocery stores everywhere. Besides houses, rent, and property taxes, I don't think there are any other major ways Bronxville is inherently going to be more expensive.

One of the great things about Westchester is that it is a continuum of small towns with vastly different characters, when your in Bronxville, your never more than a 1 mile walk from a completely different place. The stereotype that Westchester is universally wealthy could not be further from the truth.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:47 PM

60 posts, read 226,163 times
90% + of Bronxville is made up of one-percenters. It's not just food, it's the clubs you'd join, the services you'd look for, vets and on and on. There's a little shop in town where I saw these cute round bottom martini glasses I own. I got them at world market for about $4 each and the shop was selling them for $20 each. Unless you need the schools, I'd consider living outside the village.

I agree about White Plains for a good transition from the city area. That said, Fairway is in Pelham and a great alternative to Whole Foods. Pelham's also a good commute and a more laid back community. Starbucks cost the same there as it does in Tuckahoe and Slave to The Grind has great coffees.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:07 PM

Thank you everyone for clarifying. This has been good information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County