Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:27 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
People moving out of costlier good-school-district suburbs commutable to NYC to a cheaper suburb without both those qualities after their kids have flown the nest is a well established phenomenon around here. Its been going on for some time. I dunno why you're all pissy at FHD about it. Its the same with all good school districts commutable to NYC In LI, NJ and Westchester. And I don't know why you left the "commutable to NYC" part out of your analysis - comparing it to other school districts anywhere in the country is not just disingenuous, (your word) its downright stupid.
He's pissy cause that doesn't fit his narrative and, worst of all, there's no rebuttal because FHD is right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 12:45 PM

222 posts, read 540,511 times
In some ways people like high taxes since they not only provide the funding for good school, but almost ensure that the town will be populated with kids which is nice when you're raising a family. Not sure why you'd want to be in such a family neighborhood when you're an empty nester anyway?

Old 07-17-2015, 07:32 PM

53 posts, read 82,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Really? Did you compare what you pay in taxes in Westchester vs. living in UES and paying tuition in Dalton?
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to compare to, oh I don't know, how about Fairfax County, Virginia? Which is:

1. a "nice" suburb of another major east coast city (DC)

2. has the #3 high school in the country, along with many others that are way ahead of Westchester's: Top Virginia High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

3. property taxes are -- ready for this? -- *lower* than the national average, 1.04% of market value if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Can you live in those other "nice suburbs" which supposedly cost "a fraction" of Westchester AND hold a job in midtown? Please tell us how.
Please tell us first what possible relationship proximity to midtown has to property tax rates? Even if it costs twice as much to teach the same thing here, a dubious proposition but hey whatever, that evens out when the house being taxed costs twice as much. So what do we get in exchange for paying double or triple the rate, on top? Can we at least agree on one thing, that it isn't going to fix or maintain the roads?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
And I don't know why you left the "commutable to NYC" part out of your analysis - comparing it to other school districts anywhere in the country is not just disingenuous, (your word) its downright stupid.
Uh, no. You've got it exactly backwards. I left it out deliberately, because it'd be downright stupid not to. For two completely separate reasons, in fact. The first being that proximity to NYC explains the higher property values, but not the much higher tax rates (and just in case you've confused me with another poster, it's not the prices that are scaring me away from buying a house here, it's the taxes), and the second being that moving the heck away from the NYC area is a perfectly viable option that ought to be considered as part of any rational analysis. That means accounting for a few more things, like:

a) You're probably paying your $30k+ Westchester taxes with after-tax income, thanks to the federal AMT.

b) You're commuting for 2-3 hours a day.

c) You likely live in a house that's most of the way to 100 years old, you have delicate above-ground electric lines, and the roads will destroy your car if you're not careful

d) Those $30k+ taxes will become $50k+ a hell of a lot faster than your $300k income will become $500k

Old 07-17-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
In some ways people like high taxes since they not only provide the funding for good school, but almost ensure that the town will be populated with kids which is nice when you're raising a family. Not sure why you'd want to be in such a family neighborhood when you're an empty nester anyway?
Of course, I understand this. I'm just pointing out that at these rates, the risk is enormous. If you can't sell your house at a good price at the right time, you could be jeopardizing your entire retirement. I'm afraid I'm watching this happen to my neighbors and I sure as hell don't want it to happen to me.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:54 PM

814 posts, read 910,840 times
Northern Virginia sucks, too much traffic and congestion, everything else maybe cheaper then Westchester but its not living and NoVa DC work culture is pretty hardcore, most are careerists that find dating and making new friends difficult, they care about work and not much else, most are seduced by DC's power, government, national defense, NoVa/ DC is Americas strong arm, NYC has finance but they're not going to win a war.

I left many years ago due to military obligations and my desire to see beyond New York. Ive called Virginia home for the past 10 years and I can tell you there many better places to call home in Virginia then NoVa/DC.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:03 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereLeftToGo View Post
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to compare to, oh I don't know, how about Fairfax County, Virginia? Which is:

1. a "nice" suburb of another major east coast city (DC)

2. has the #3 high school in the country, along with many others that are way ahead of Westchester's: Top Virginia High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

3. property taxes are -- ready for this? -- *lower* than the national average, 1.04% of market value if I'm not mistaken.

Please tell us first what possible relationship proximity to midtown has to property tax rates? Even if it costs twice as much to teach the same thing here, a dubious proposition but hey whatever, that evens out when the house being taxed costs twice as much. So what do we get in exchange for paying double or triple the rate, on top? Can we at least agree on one thing, that it isn't going to fix or maintain the roads?
Fairfax County, VA? That must be an awesome commute to midtown. Would you know of a critical mass of workers who do this on a daily basis? LOL!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereLeftToGo View Post
Uh, no. You've got it exactly backwards. I left it out deliberately, because it'd be downright stupid not to. For two completely separate reasons, in fact. The first being that proximity to NYC explains the higher property values, but not the much higher tax rates (and just in case you've confused me with another poster, it's not the prices that are scaring me away from buying a house here, it's the taxes), and the second being that moving the heck away from the NYC area is a perfectly viable option that ought to be considered as part of any rational analysis. That means accounting for a few more things, like:

a) You're probably paying your $30k+ Westchester taxes with after-tax income, thanks to the federal AMT.

b) You're commuting for 2-3 hours a day.

c) You likely live in a house that's most of the way to 100 years old, you have delicate above-ground electric lines, and the roads will destroy your car if you're not careful

d) Those $30k+ taxes will become $50k+ a hell of a lot faster than your $300k income will become $500k
Jeezus.
Next time I'll draw a map and put the X on it. You're so far off you'll need to pass through immigration and customs to get within the same time zone.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM

454 posts, read 763,134 times
I grew up in southern Westchester in a gorgeous area, and moved to Dallas in my late 20s. Life here is much easier due to the lower costs of everything, and the lack of congestion. Things/errands that were difficult to complete in Westchester...(..."I'll circle the block with the car while you run in and grab a quart of milk...") are so easy in Texas, it was like a new life.
When I first moved here, I nearly doubled my salary, and the pay vs. col is good. However, if I could summarize it all...

1. New Yorkers are funny. Conversation is entertaining. Not here, at least, not much.
2. In NY, it's hard to see where all that tax money is going. Streets are crappy, narrow, and getting anywhere is difficult.
3. In NY, there's a slightly defeated attitude among some of the people, like life is just a survival from day to day.
4. NY can look dated and grim. Telephone poles everywhere, wires all over, run down buildings that stay that way year after year.
5. It's too expensive for what you get in return. The slightest bit of charm costs another million.
6. Weather is cloudy much of the time.
7. Government doesn't care how it inconveniences the population; it just cranks out more silly laws to deal with.

Good stuff...

1. NY is physically beautiful everywhere there is an open space-rocks, mountains, sky color, etc.
2. The people are funny.
3. The arts are a priority.
4. Food is good.

Living in Texas, the city can feel soulless due to the giant freeways, endless malls, redundant architecture (if you can call it that) ALL the houses are brick.
There is a great sense of ease and freedom-everything is easy. Houses are cheap, or cheaper. Suburbs are impeccably neat and clean. Schools are good.
Despite its reputation, the vast majority of people in Texas are very liberal socially. No one gives a crap what you are or what you believe. Just keep your lawn tidy and all is well.

Personally, I love it here, but miss New York, and am contemplating buying a place in Putnam or Dutchess somewhere near the train line, just to get back to NY, but skip the congestion. This may be an impossible feat.

That's my summary. New York can be a depressing place to live if you make a "regular" salary. That regular salary will take you to the upper middle class in Texas, but you lose that NY character.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:00 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,724,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I grew up in southern Westchester in a gorgeous area, and moved to Dallas in my late 20s. Life here is much easier due to the lower costs of everything, and the lack of congestion. Things/errands that were difficult to complete in Westchester...(..."I'll circle the block with the car while you run in and grab a quart of milk...") are so easy in Texas, it was like a new life.
When I first moved here, I nearly doubled my salary, and the pay vs. col is good. However, if I could summarize it all...

1. New Yorkers are funny. Conversation is entertaining. Not here, at least, not much.
2. In NY, it's hard to see where all that tax money is going. Streets are crappy, narrow, and getting anywhere is difficult.
3. In NY, there's a slightly defeated attitude among some of the people, like life is just a survival from day to day.
4. NY can look dated and grim. Telephone poles everywhere, wires all over, run down buildings that stay that way year after year.
5. It's too expensive for what you get in return. The slightest bit of charm costs another million.
6. Weather is cloudy much of the time.
7. Government doesn't care how it inconveniences the population; it just cranks out more silly laws to deal with.

Good stuff...

1. NY is physically beautiful everywhere there is an open space-rocks, mountains, sky color, etc.
2. The people are funny.
3. The arts are a priority.
4. Food is good.

Living in Texas, the city can feel soulless due to the giant freeways, endless malls, redundant architecture (if you can call it that) ALL the houses are brick.
There is a great sense of ease and freedom-everything is easy. Houses are cheap, or cheaper. Suburbs are impeccably neat and clean. Schools are good.
Despite its reputation, the vast majority of people in Texas are very liberal socially. No one gives a crap what you are or what you believe. Just keep your lawn tidy and all is well.

Personally, I love it here, but miss New York, and am contemplating buying a place in Putnam or Dutchess somewhere near the train line, just to get back to NY, but skip the congestion. This may be an impossible feat.

That's my summary. New York can be a depressing place to live if you make a "regular" salary. That regular salary will take you to the upper middle class in Texas, but you lose that NY character.
this is what i had hoped for the thread.

instead we got a handful of people who crapped it up.

thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County