Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,397 times

Advertisements

We've been looking at this co-op on King St in Port Chester to rent. It looks like a nice bldg and is very close to Lyon Park, but then again its Port Chester so we're on the fence on whether or not to take it. The school district has no bearing on our decision, but safety definitely does. Looking to get some opinions that'll help us make a decision one way or another!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 PM

490 posts, read 1,787,881 times
Hi Newtony14,
Portchester is not a bad place at all. It is well positioned geographically and the infrastructure is up and improving each day. There are lots of immigrants living there but most are nice, harworking ones. There is no reason to be afraid and I personally think is an smart choice for renting in the very expensive Westchester Cty. I don't live there but I used to visit quite often, having work at the old Phillip Morris building for several years. The change in this town is dramatic, to say the least.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM

28 posts, read 123,722 times
Port Chester is safe, very close to shopping, dining, movie theaters,...the school are fine, not great but since this is not a concern...i'd say it's a great choice. You can get to NYC within 40 min, White Plains in 15 min and be in greenwich, CT in 5 min.
They have been working hard to change Port Chester and it's working! There is a new 14 theater movie-plex complex with Costco, Bed Bath & Beyond, Michaels, DSW,...all along the water! Good luck to you!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 AM

28 posts, read 211,280 times
Default I love port chester

Port Chester is great- definitely safe, lots of restaurants, and three different highways pass right near it- the Hutch, 95 and 287, making it a really convenient place to be. It's a very walkable town- there are always people walking around on the sidewalks, which makes it feel safer, to me. (But avoid Poningo Street.)

Check out Kneaded Bread on Main Street, Neri's bakery, El Tio, Park Deli - some of our favorite Port Chester businesses.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:29 PM

6 posts, read 39,219 times
I have lived in PC all my life & never had a problem. I have 5 kids that are going or have graduated from the public schools. I have a beautiful 5 bedroom, 3 full bath home
on half an acre. I work, pay my taxes, enjoy shopping, parks, beaches, golf courses, outdoor concerts in our parks, baseball on our beautiful new fields, carnivals & fairs
right here in our small Village & so much more, I don't see why people put us down. All towns, Villages & cities have their issues, if anyone tells a different story, it's not the truth.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:59 PM

15 posts, read 63,924 times
Default Great town, very safe

Port Chester is a nice, affordable safe place to rent. I'm a 20 something female renting on the outskirts of downtown and I've never had any problems here. I like the town too- there's so much to do here, great restaurants, nice parks, good community events and easy access to NYC and White Plains. An all around good choice for an affordable place to live.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,139 times
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Fox Island Road area is safe. I would need to walk to the Metro North Station and am a little worried about the neighborhood. Any insight would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Melissa

Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 AM

718 posts, read 2,324,828 times
If you are very close to Lyon Park you should be fine. The other end of King St by the train station you may find to be a bit sketchy at night.

Port Chester gets nicer as you approach the Rye Brook border
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County