U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 AM

12 posts, read 26,392 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are preparing to start house hunting in Mamaroneck and while we aren't married to one specific school zone over another, I would like to get a sense of the benefits/limitations of both districts.

1. Do all of the Mamaroneck elementary schools have spanish language immersion as an option, or just Mamaroneck Avenue Elementary? Am I correct that Rye Neck does not have this option? Do any of the elementary schools offer spanish language classes?

2. How do the elementary schools in both Mamaroneck and Rye Neck fair when it comes to things like music class, art class, etc? Any specifics about either curriculum would be appreciated.

3. Middle School. I've heard really great things about Hommocks. I haven't heard anything about Rye Neck. Can anyone speak to benefits/limitations of either school? Had a good or bad experience?

4. High schools. Mamaroneck High School is so much larger - am I correct in assuming that it can also offer a lot more with respect to extracurriculars?

5. What are some benefits to Rye Neck High school?

5. What is the student body size of Rye Neck High school? Of Mamaroneck High school?

6. All of our friends kids are in the Rye Neck school district. While this is certainly not a deciding factor, my question is -- do Rye Neck kids and Mamaroneck kids still hang out once they're in different districts? Or are schedules, etc. so wildly different as to make it unlikely?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 AM

193 posts, read 181,413 times
We are fairly new to the Rye Neck School District, so I can only answer some of your questions (the ones I researched when we moved to the area):

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicazza View Post
1. Do all of the Mamaroneck elementary schools have spanish language immersion as an option, or just Mamaroneck Avenue Elementary? Am I correct that Rye Neck does not have this option? Do any of the elementary schools offer spanish language classes?
I unfortunately don't know the answer to these questions. My son is in elementary school in Rye Neck, and he does take Spanish, but I don't know whether his class qualifies as "immersion." I would say no.

Quote:
2. How do the elementary schools in both Mamaroneck and Rye Neck fair when it comes to things like music class, art class, etc? Any specifics about either curriculum would be appreciated.
These are both excellent elementary schools. Both rate very highly in academics, including in music and art. Hard to make generalizations here, however, as what you want out of a program necessarily requires that you get the specifics from the school itself. Fortunately, my experience is that the schools are VERY cooperative to these kinds of questions and would be happy to provide you with details.

Quote:
3. Middle School. I've heard really great things about Hommocks. I haven't heard anything about Rye Neck. Can anyone speak to benefits/limitations of either school? Had a good or bad experience?
Rye Neck is, by academic reputation, a fantastic middle school. The school, like the high school, is unusually small, which is a source of differentiation from Mamaroneck.

Pros: Slightly smaller class size, easier to identify students who need special attention (academics/social)
Cons: Almost too much attention for some, highly specialized classes harder to come by

Quote:
4. High schools. Mamaroneck High School is so much larger - am I correct in assuming that it can also offer a lot more with respect to extracurriculars?
I don't know about "a lot" more. There are pitfalls to size. For example, there is no cut on many teams a Rye Neck High School, so the opportunity to participate may be greater. I know a couple of friends whose kids have interests in certain sports but cannot participate because they were cut. But, there are more varied opportunities. Hommocks has swim, but Rye Neck does not.

Quote:
5. What are some benefits to Rye Neck High school?
The smaller size seems to benefit the high school the most, at least from an academic standpoint. While it has its ups and downs just due to the mix of students, it certainly helps in preventing students from disappearing in the maze of students and fosters greater involvement. You're comparing two really great high schools, so it's splitting hairs to say that Rye Neck HS is ranked higher than Mamaroneck HS in some ranking system; it is, but I'm not sure that the difference is meaningful.

Quote:
5. What is the student body size of Rye Neck High school? Of Mamaroneck High school?
Rye Neck High School is ~120 per grade. Mamaroneck is ~380 per grade.

Quote:
6. All of our friends kids are in the Rye Neck school district. While this is certainly not a deciding factor, my question is -- do Rye Neck kids and Mamaroneck kids still hang out once they're in different districts? Or are schedules, etc. so wildly different as to make it unlikely?
Not sure why this wouldn't be a deciding factor. It would definitely influence mine. Between the demands of homework and afterschool extracurriculars, time is scarce. One way that kids intradistrict seem to connect is through non-school activities, such as church/synagogue, swim team, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County