U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 AM

13 posts, read 13,889 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving into the county in May 2016. I will be working in NYC. I work in construction so I would be working all over NYC and the outlying boroughs. I need a decent commute, hoping for something under and hour. I am having a hard time deciding what towns would be a good fit for our family of 5. My husband is a carpenter and would either work for a private company or the Union. Together we would make around 120-140K a year. I was looking at White Plains, Greensburgh, and Mamaroneck.

I would need child care for my kids, I come from a small town of 6600 people and would love to have the small town feel, but I also don't mind living in more suburban areas. Another question I have is how do I find out what school my kids would go to? I obviously want good schools, but I know these larger towns have many school districts and I can tell how i would know what school they would go to depending on what neighborhood we choose.

Any help and comments about towns would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:44 AM

678 posts, read 665,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittney.therrien View Post
My husband and I will be moving into the county in May 2016. I will be working in NYC. I work in construction so I would be working all over NYC and the outlying boroughs. I need a decent commute, hoping for something under and hour. I am having a hard time deciding what towns would be a good fit for our family of 5. My husband is a carpenter and would either work for a private company or the Union. Together we would make around 120-140K a year. I was looking at White Plains, Greensburgh, and Mamaroneck.

I would need child care for my kids, I come from a small town of 6600 people and would love to have the small town feel, but I also don't mind living in more suburban areas. Another question I have is how do I find out what school my kids would go to? I obviously want good schools, but I know these larger towns have many school districts and I can tell how i would know what school they would go to depending on what neighborhood we choose.

Any help and comments about towns would be greatly appreciated!
while there are towns and areas that would fit for you, you should know that you are movign into one of the most expensive counties in the US. To have a commute of under an hour you probably need ot be in southern westchester, and finding an affordable house with a mortgage you can afford at your income level will be difficult, but not impossible. Also, annual taxes on houses in your price range can easily be another $1,000 - $1,500 per month. So if you are looking at a mortgage of $2000 per month, it can be $3500 after insurance and taxes, so its something to keep in mind while looking.

First, find a great realtor. I would suggest a dedicated buyer's agent who does not list their own property. the is a good one called the Buyer's Edge Realty. The owner is a guy named Gary Herbst and he works with anothr man named Gary who is a great realtor. They have a larger team, but those are the guys I know. Their website is Tarrytown NY Real Estate Company | Tarrytown, NY Real Estate Broker | Buyer's Edge Realty, Inc.. I would call them to discuss you rneeds and they can help you out.

Schools are very hard to understand in Westchester and towns and schools often cross lines. A house in Mamaroneck might not be in that school district. I would have a realtor help you with this too.

White Plains and most of unincorporated Greenburgh do not have the small town feel. But the surrounding areas do. The further north you go, the more you get of that feel, but the commute gets longer. I might further north in the Cortlandt Yorktown, Somers, and southern Mahopac areas. The commute is a little over an hour, but not much more. Maybe an hour and 5 minutes, or 10 minutes. You can get a much more affordable house, lower taxes and a smaller town feel. A $400,000 house in the southern part of the county will be one of the cheapest houses in most areas. Up in the area I am discussing, its at the high end of the mid-price level. You get a lot more house and property for yoru money at the cost of 15-30 minutes more of a commute. Its all a balancing act.

Sorry I could not be more helpful, but as you narrow it down to locations you are targetting, let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or