Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 03:49 PM

78 posts, read 103,593 times

Advertisements

Early 30s couple not looking to have children.
We want to be within a 1.5 hour commute by train to Chelsea.
We'd like to stay under $300k and that should be doable because we'd like a fixer upper. It can be a wreck as long as it's not falling down. We want at least a small garden so somewhere not super built up.
I know taxes can be crazy in certain areas. I guess we wouldn't be wanting to spend more than $13k in taxes a year if possible.

Where should we be looking? What towns/cities? The city/neighborhood doesn't have to be amazing, just not super sketchy.

It's going to be a year or two before we're ready but we want to have an idea what we're aiming for.

Really grateful for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:01 PM

115 posts, read 211,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesbenevolent View Post
Early 30s couple not looking to have children.
We want to be within a 1.5 hour commute by train to Chelsea.
We'd like to stay under $300k and that should be doable because we'd like a fixer upper. It can be a wreck as long as it's not falling down. We want at least a small garden so somewhere not super built up.
I know taxes can be crazy in certain areas. I guess we wouldn't be wanting to spend more than $13k in taxes a year if possible.

Where should we be looking? What towns/cities? The city/neighborhood doesn't have to be amazing, just not super sketchy.

It's going to be a year or two before we're ready but we want to have an idea what we're aiming for.

Really grateful for the input.
Most of the less wealthy northern Westchester towns will be easily doable for a fixer upper. You can look at Ossining, Peekskill, Cortland, Mt. Kisco. Peekskill in probably the cheapest of all of these, partially because of an undeserved bad reputation, you can get a medium sized house in your price range even if it's not a fixer upper.

I wouldn't rule out Southern Westchester, because it will cut your commute down a lot. It is a bit more expensive (the largest difference is amount of land you get), but surprisingly doable. Avoid Rye, Scarsdale, Eastchester, Bronxville, Rye Brook and look into White Plains, Mamaroneck, Harrison (bit of a stretch), Port Chester, New Rochelle, Yonkers, and Mount Vernon (Northern part is nicer).

Here are four houses in my town in your price range to help you get a sense of where your price range gets you in an average Southern Westchester town:

615 First St, Mamaroneck, NY 10543 | Zillow (Fixer upper in flood zone, but only 175k, no certificate of occupancy which I believe means it is not livable currently)

911 Howard Ave, Mamaroneck, NY 10543 | Zillow (Flood zone, very small, no driveway or garage, only 185k)

915 Howard Ave, Mamaroneck, NY 10543 | Zillow (Flood zone, smallish, bad condition)

205 Waverly Ave, Mamaroneck, NY 10543 | Zillow (foreclosure, presumably in bad condition, flood zone)

Edit: I wouldn't worry about property taxes unless you guys are going to spend a ton of money renovating your home. 13k in most Westchester towns would be a house ~500-800k in value, with a few exceptions like Pelham, where a 400k house would have those taxes. The houses I just showed you are all in the 4 digit range w/o renovations. Generally, cities like WP have lower property taxes b/c of the businesses while particularly suburban towns have high property taxes.

Last edited by j8p123; 10-13-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,035 times
Look into Yonkers NY it's right outside the bronx and its a decent neighborhood.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:09 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 531,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmotors View Post
Look into Yonkers NY it's right outside the bronx and its a decent neighborhood.

300k in Yonkers will get a house in the hood. I wouldn't recommend Yonkers to anyone.

OP - you need to up your budget to 400k and you may, I repeat, you may find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County