U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 09:35 AM

56,269 posts, read 80,446,330 times

Advertisements

What about the Rivertowns(villages)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 11:55 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Indeed they weren't. That's one of the reasons, albeit there were many others as to why we packed up and left all of our family, friends and everything that we were familiar with just to get out of that God awful place. Their insatiable demands for more money never ends. By comparison the home we are now living in, in Arizona is comparable to a nice $600,000 home in a nice section of Westchester. Our annual property taxes here are $1600 a year. They haven't changed in the 5 1/2 years we've lived here. We have all of the same wonderful public services that New Yorker's love to brag about to justify the insane cost of living there. Being self employed our cost of health insurance is half of what we paid in Westchester and with a lower deductible. Of course there are many other things to consider, politics both local and state being one of them. If you're Liberal you'll fit in fine. Conservative, such as we are it's a frustrating never ending battle.

One of the reasons the property taxes are so high is that the legislature both state and local is bought and paid for by the teacher's and public employee's unions, UFT, AFSCME and CSEA. "Ask and ye shall receive" should be the motto of New York State's governments. It is also one of the most corrupt in the nation. This goes for both sides of the political isle. Sheldon Silver (D) once speaker of the house had been indicted on bribery charges. Joseph Bruno (R) former majority leader of the senate was indicted on eight counts of corruption, including mail and wire fraud. It's governor Andrew Cuomo is also under investigation: However that's the type of government New Yorker's choose to represent them. They call it "three men in a room" as they make all of the decisions regarding legislation with little or no input from local legislators. What they say goes. Then there was "Fat Nick" Spano (R) State senator from Yonkers. In 2012 Spano was indicted for Federal Income Tax evasion. My God, I could write pages on how bad New York's government is and has been. No wonder it costs so much to live there.

If you really don't have to move there. I certainly would not advise it as there are many other places throughout the country where you can achieve a better quality of life. For us it was Arizona, Utah or New Mexico as a second or third choice. The southwest is where we've always wanted to be. Now that we're out here I couldn't imagine or have any desire to live anywhere else.

But whatever you choose to do. Do your homework well and plan on making several trips to your desired location(s). Subscribe to the local newspapers to keep up with what's going on there and to get a feel of how the people are by reading the letters section. You'll get a general idea of the good, the bad, and the ugly. It's a big move, you don't want to screw it up. Best of luck to you in your endeavor!
Hey OP, ignore this guy. He seems to have been permanently traumatized by Westchester cause he apparently couldn't make a go of it. Now he has been reduced to providing us with an ongoing tirade of entirely unhelpful rants like the above. The stuff in bold is certainly true, but that's general common-sense advice that would apply to moving anywhere.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:47 PM

3,233 posts, read 1,848,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Hey OP, ignore this guy. He seems to have been permanently traumatized by Westchester cause he apparently couldn't make a go of it. Now he has been reduced to providing us with an ongoing tirade of entirely unhelpful rants like the above. The stuff in bold is certainly true, but that's general common-sense advice that would apply to moving anywhere.
Hey OP, ignore this guy. He seems to be permanently traumatized by the fact that we have a first amendment right to express our opinions. Whether he agrees with it or not. That's all it is, it is an opinion as to why we left that God awful state and county. There's just too many people in New York who wish to silence an opposing point of view. Especially a Conservative one. Another reason I'm glad I'm out of there. Nothing to do with "making a go of it" or not. There are many people living in Westchester County who indeed can not "make a go of it" because of the astronomical cost of living there imposed by the state and local governments. Too bad he does not accept that fact. Or is that the way it's supposed to be? Only for the very rich who can afford to live there and the very poor who are subsidized by everyone else? At least we had the freedom to get out of there rather than being stuck there and telling everyone else how wonderful it is. Misery does love company. Funny that he can not dispute anything that I've said.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-24-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 08:48 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
Hey OP, ignore this guy. He seems to be permanently traumatized by the fact that we have a first amendment right to express our opinions. Whether he agrees with it or not. That's all it is, it is an opinion as to why we left that God awful state and county. There's just too many people in New York who wish to silence an opposing point of view. Especially a Conservative one. Another reason I'm glad I'm out of there. Nothing to do with "making a go of it" or not. There are many people living in Westchester County who indeed can not "make a go of it" because of the astronomical cost of living there imposed by the state and local governments. Too bad he does not accept that fact. Or is that the way it's supposed to be? Only for the very rich who can afford to live there and the very poor who are subsidized by everyone else? At least we had the freedom to get out of there rather than being stuck there and telling everyone else how wonderful it is. Misery does love company. Funny that he can not dispute anything that I've said.
Awesome. You interpret not bothering with inability. It's a relo board, not a Teanderthal blog.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Awesome. You interpret not bothering with inability. It's a relo board, not a Teanderthal blog.
Awesome. Obviously you don't have the ability or the facts. Am I wrong about the cost of living, property taxes and members of the New York State legislature? Sorry I left out "The Sheriff of Wall Street" better known as "Client #9" your great ex Governor Eliot Spitzer (D). Then there's Alan Hevesi (D). "Disgraced ex-state Comptroller Alan Hevesi savored his first day of freedom yesterday after serving 20 months in prison for his role in a pay-to-play ... NY Post". There's Dean Skelos (R) former senate majority leader.--dean-skelos-ex-senate-leader-and-son-are-indicted-in-corruption-case. Am I wrong about all of them too?

Indeed it is a relo board, I would think that anyone that is considering relocating to New York would be interested in the type of government that New York has representing them. More importantly the mentality of the people that keep electing them in the first place. Teanderthal? More like a bunch of Neanderthal's that elect them and keep them in power. The only thing that gets them out of office are criminal indictments or dying while in office. Too bad that Neanderthal's can't figure out that the type of government they elect has a profound effect on their everyday lives and quality of life.

No, I want people to know everything about New York before moving there. I want them to know that there are far better places where they can achieve a higher standard of living and better quality of life than in that particular state.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-25-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_powered View Post
I am looking for help in the campaign to convince my wife to move to Westchester. Her biggest objection is that she doesn't want to feel "isolated" in the suburbs and dependent on a car.

Are there towns where it's possible to walk to the train, to the elementary school, and to the grocery store? I've poked around on google maps so I have an idea of the distances, but I'd like to hear if people actually walk in their daily lives.
One thing I forgot to mention is that HUD (housing and urban development) will be forcing more affluent communities to accept low income housing. This will have a detrimental affect on your property values and school systems. All of this information is available on line. I would suggest you pay close attention to it before deciding to move there. Unless of course you wouldn't mind living next to a future project. Or "The Projects" as they are called. Andrew Cuomo was appointed to the Department of Housing and Urban Development as Assistant Secretary for Community Planning and Development in 1993. He is now the Governor of New York and embroiled in scandals of his own.

Quote:
Andrew Cuomo and his connection to the Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae ...
scottystarnes.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/andrew...Cached
Forcing banks to meet quotas by giving unqualified borrowers subprime loans was an idea of Andrew Cuomo, who ran HUD ... Subprime Scandal: Andrew Cuomo ...

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-25-2015 at 12:16 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 02:52 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,542 times
Oh. My. God. The OP lives in Manhattan - do you really think you're going to convince them to up and move to Arizona??? They probably work in the city! Gee, I wonder if the commute is better from Westchester or Tuscon???

MANHATTAN. THEY LIVE IN MANHATTAN. You didn't even read the post, just jumped right in to spew your hatred for the area. Please think and READ before you post next time. Thank you.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Oh. My. God. The OP lives in Manhattan - do you really think you're going to convince them to up and move to Arizona??? They probably work in the city! Gee, I wonder if the commute is better from Westchester or Tuscon???

MANHATTAN. THEY LIVE IN MANHATTAN. You didn't even read the post, just jumped right in to spew your hatred for the area. Please think and READ before you post next time. Thank you.
My God if you will take the time to read the original post you would see that he is trying to convince his wife to move to Westchester County NY. HOUSTON. THEY LIVE IN HOUSTON. I would think that if they already lived in Manhattan they would at least be familiar with Westchester County and it's property taxes? If they don't then they've really got their heads stuck in the sand now don't they? Westchester County is not that far away. Please think and READ before you post next time. Hatred? Call it what you will everything I've posted is the God's honest truth and you know it. Arizona? That's where I chose to live. I'm not trying to convince anyone to move out here (at least not people like you). I'm just trying to get people to move the hell out of New York. Where they go is up to them.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:14 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,542 times
Quote:
My God if you will take the time to read the original post you would see that he is trying to convince his wife to move to Westchester County NY. HOUSTON. THEY LIVE IN HOUSTON. I would think that if they already lived in Manhattan they would at least be familiar with Westchester County and it's property taxes? If they don't then they've really got their heads stuck in the sand now don't they? Westchester County is not that far away. Please think and READ before you post next time. Hatred? Call it what you will everything I've posted is the God's honest truth and you know it. Arizona? That's where I chose to live. I'm not trying to convince anyone to move out here (at least not people like you). I'm just trying to get people to move the hell out of New York. Where they go is up to them.
Oh you're so cute! Everyone on this forum knows why you are wrong except you. Are are just that arrogant.

This is exactly why you should stick to the Arizona board.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Oh you're so cute! Everyone on this forum knows why you are wrong except you. Are are just that arrogant.

This is exactly why you should stick to the Arizona board.
You haven't told me where I am wrong now have you? Because you can't. Since I've spent most of my life living in New York I've got every right to post on the New York board. Or are you just that arrogant?

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-25-2015 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County