U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:15 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,220,807 times

Advertisements

Another thread hijack by the always-so-helpful and pleasantly informative Ex_New_Yorker trying to save others from the misery they will face in Westchester. Well played, numnuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 07:29 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,125,625 times
Ignoring the monomania illustrated by one poster here (27K on a 650k house means the house is in serious need of a tax reassement... if its true of course) - another walkable town, after Larchmont, where the railroad, schools, restaurants and stores are all within walking distance is the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck. Rye also, except the nicest areas there are a non-walkable hike. I'm sure some of the river towns are very walkable - I'm just not that familiar with them.

Taxes are substantial - but you'll basically see what you get for most of your money, unlike in NYC where it all just disappears into a hole. Plus when doing the math you've got to remember you wont be paying NYC income tax which is 3-4%. If you're buying a 1.2 mill house, let me guess a salary of $300K - so that's $10K - $12K you aren't paying to NYC.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:50 AM

3,233 posts, read 1,848,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Another thread hijack by the always-so-helpful and pleasantly informative Ex_New_Yorker trying to save others from the misery they will face in Westchester. Well played, numnuts.
Another intelligent response by the always-so-helpful and pleasantly informative kletter1mann who can not dispute anything I've posted as he has no cognitive argument other than name calling. Well played. I was going to call you something but I thought it best not to lower myself to your level.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Ignoring the monomania illustrated by one poster here (27K on a 650k house means the house is in serious need of a tax reassement... if its true of course) - another walkable town, after Larchmont, where the railroad, schools, restaurants and stores are all within walking distance is the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck. Rye also, except the nicest areas there are a non-walkable hike. I'm sure some of the river towns are very walkable - I'm just not that familiar with them.

Taxes are substantial - but you'll basically see what you get for most of your money, unlike in NYC where it all just disappears into a hole. Plus when doing the math you've got to remember you wont be paying NYC income tax which is 3-4%. If you're buying a 1.2 mill house, let me guess a salary of $300K - so that's $10K - $12K you aren't paying to NYC.
I can assure you that it is true of course. I can also assure you that we were paying $11,000 on an 1100 sq.ft. house in Peekskill. That was 7 years ago as that was on the last tax statement that I could find. $11,230 to be exact. That's after STAR. I have no idea what they are now. My sisters house is 3000 sq.ft. and in Dobbs Ferry which is a hell of a lot nicer than Peekskill. So you do the math. I'm not a real estate agent, I'm just going by what my sister estimates what her house is worth.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 10-26-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 10-26-2015, 08:47 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,125,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I can assure you that it is true of course. I can also assure you that we were paying $11,000 on an 1100 sq.ft. house in Peekskill. That was 7 years ago as that was on the last tax statement that I could find. $11,230 to be exact. That's after STAR. I have no idea what they are now. My sisters house is 3000 sq.ft. and in Dobbs Ferry which is a hell of a lot nicer than Peekskill. So you do the math. I'm not a real estate agent, I'm just going by what my sister estimates what her house is worth.
You sister needs to get it reassessed - or she is in complete denial about the house value. Dobbs Ferry comes in around $19.76 per thousand, which at $650 K is about $12,800 per year.

Either way - its no basis for any information to give to someone about moving to the county because either (1) your sister is completely wrong, (2) the house is in fact worth $650K and simply needs reassessing. Considering its costing your sister $14,000 and its free to get a reassessment - one most wonder about the decision making ....

Old 10-26-2015, 08:49 AM

740 posts, read 450,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

Having shopped around enough in that area (and now having a house there), your estimates aren't that off-base. I'd conservatively estimate budgeting for around 20K in taxes in Dobbs Ferry for a 3,000 sq foot house, before the STAR rebate. To be safe, we just assumed that we should budget 20K for taxes when we moved there, and that turned out to be mostly correct, with a fluctuating range of 1-2K.

For someone currently living in TX, it's probably a good thing to be aware of before making the decision to move.

Also, not sure how accurate it is, but when we were shopping for homes, the age of the home seemed to factor heavily into the tax burden. A 3000 sq ft home built in 1910 had a much different tax assessment than one built in 2000. Just something to perhaps consider, weighing both age and square footage.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:25 AM

694 posts, read 945,950 times
On Houston-meaning, Houston street in NYC, not Houston, Texas!!!

Old 10-26-2015, 12:04 PM

273 posts, read 434,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose_powered View Post
I am looking for help in the campaign to convince my wife to move to Westchester. Her biggest objection is that she doesn't want to feel "isolated" in the suburbs and dependent on a car.

Are there towns where it's possible to walk to the train, to the elementary school, and to the grocery store? I've poked around on google maps so I have an idea of the distances, but I'd like to hear if people actually walk in their daily lives.
Check out Katonah. Your budget may get you a victorian or dutch colonial right in the village center. Its a very walk-able community, near a train station, and is surrounded by some of the nicest landscapes in the entire tri-state area. Great mix of suburban and rural.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
On Houston-meaning, Houston street in NYC, not Houston, Texas!!!
Sorry about that as I do not know the name of every single street in Manhattan. Do you? I would have at least thought that for someone who is living in Manhattan they would be very familiar with Westchester County and it's property taxes. It's not that far away. I know that if I were house hunting in a neighboring county I would have already spent a considerable amount of time there seeing for myself where I would like to live. Instead of going on line. It's not as if they are moving all the way across country such as we did. Which led me to believe that they lived in Houston, Texas and were considering a move to New York. Of course some people do confine themselves to one area. Perhaps they should get out more. Better yet inform themselves about what is going on in their own home state.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Having shopped around enough in that area (and now having a house there), your estimates aren't that off-base. I'd conservatively estimate budgeting for around 20K in taxes in Dobbs Ferry for a 3,000 sq foot house, before the STAR rebate. To be safe, we just assumed that we should budget 20K for taxes when we moved there, and that turned out to be mostly correct, with a fluctuating range of 1-2K.

For someone currently living in TX, it's probably a good thing to be aware of before making the decision to move.

Also, not sure how accurate it is, but when we were shopping for homes, the age of the home seemed to factor heavily into the tax burden. A 3000 sq ft home built in 1910 had a much different tax assessment than one built in 2000. Just something to perhaps consider, weighing both age and square footage.
Thank You! I can only go by what my sister has told me. Neither she nor I are real estate agents or tax assessor's. Perhaps her house is worth a lot more than what she has told me? I guess she'll find out soon as she is also planning on getting out of New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County