U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 PM

142 posts, read 867,567 times

Advertisements

Hi- My son is supposed to start kindergarten in Sept, but only recently am I learning about the high occurences of "redshirting" or holding a child back- so they will be better prepared academically, socially, athletically, etc for school. Many feel starting kindergarten a year later will give their child an edge for the competiveness of school later on. My son has a late summer birthday and is on the small side. I would have never even considered holding him back, but now I am worried he will be one of youngest in his class. Does anyone know how prevalent this is. I know it is 4 times more prevalent in affluent communities- so assume it happens quite a bit in Westchester. I know if most states cut-off is Sept.1, some even earlier. I think NY is one of only states where it is still Dec. Are there any readiness tests in school to see if child is prepared for kindegarten???? thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM

27 posts, read 138,952 times
We are moving BACK to NY because of the December cut off - Our twins were born in November and we DON'T want them in a daycare any longer then they have to be - we want to be the ones who decide to wait to enter them into school rather then a state cutoff.

You know your child - and YOU be the one to decide to enroll or hold back!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

201 posts, read 645,339 times
Default CT is also Dec

Hi,
CT is also December, but I've not heard of any Parents holding back summer birthdate kids. In CT most Sept - Dec. kids go to a speical Pre-K program that is for Sept - Dec birthdates only. Not all of them do, I have a friend whose daughter is a Nov. birthdate and she did have a hard first couple of months in Kindergarten, but so did my son, and he's a February date.

Good Luck Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,561 times
Default Toubled decision

Sally,
I read your post from 2008 about your child going to school early or holding back. I am currently faced with the same decision. I have a child who turns 5 in december after the December 1st cutoff. I can put my child into private k for a fee and then bring her into 1st grade the following year. If i do this it will be costly. I also have another option which may allow me to get my child into the public system this year for K without paying for private. WHat did you end up doing and do you regret or support your decision 2 years later? Thank you in advance for your reply.
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County