Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 04:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,101 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving from London to NYC next year and are thinking of applying to FASNY. We have lived in Manhattan 5 years ago but don't know much about Mamaroneck. Would anyone have information about commuting between the Larchmont and Mamaroneck campuses? Does the school provide any shuttle service ? is it walkable or do I really need a car? I have 2 children and they would soon be in different campuses. We would be grateful to have some information about living in Mamaroneck as well. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 05:33 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
There is no shuttle service, and you would definitely need a car as it's about 2.5 miles between them. The drive is about 10 minutes between the two campuses.

Why would there be a shuttle service for the students? Do you mean so you can do one pick-up/drop-off at one campus? That would be nice but no.

Let me know what specifically you'd like to know about Mamaroneck. We love it here and I'd be happy to answer questions.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Hello,

Thank you for your post. But what about school bus? If my children go to FASNY, (I just read this off the FASNY website), I could apply for school bus through the Mamaroneck Union school district or the New Rochelle district? I am used to walking or taking the public transport everywhere Could you give me some tips about Larchmont and Mamaroneck? Like differences between them, how is the high street (I mean the place where all the shops are)? is it walkable? Is there a good website to find information about these two places? Thank you very much.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:17 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
If you live a certain distance away from the school, then you would qualify for a school bus through the town you live in. For elementary school it's 2 miles (in Mamaroneck), but I think it's more for high school...you'd have to look into that because I'm not sure and it probably varies depending on where you live. Mamaroneck also just recently got rid of school buses for private school high school kids and gives them bus passes. It's quite frankly a travesty. They are aiming next for middle school kids, and then it will be elementary schoolers and they won't be doing buses for any private school kids anymore. It's basically against the law (law requires same transportation as they provide to all public school students) but they are doing it anyways to save money. There just aren't enough families to make enough of a stink.

If you want to be able to walk everywhere, Larchmont is probably your best bet. There are many parts of Larchmont that are walkable to shops, schools, parks, etc. Look at a map around Chatsworth and Murray Avenue Schools. Larchmont has sidewalks, which most places in Westchester don't. However, the trade off is very small lots (and mostly very old houses).

There are some residential areas in Mamaroneck that are walkable to shops and schools, like between Fenimore and Mamaroneck Ave and then just east of Mamaroneck Ave (S/E of Halstead). The nicest areas of Mamaroneck (IMO) like Orienta and Shore Acres are not really walkable to town, although the closer you are to the Post Road the better your chances.

Mamaroneck is more diverse that Larchmont, and also contains some industrial areas which Larchmont does not. Mamaroneck is just bigger. The Village of Larchmont is actually part of the Town of Mamaroneck (as is the Village of Mamaroneck), and then there is the area that is neither Larchmont or Mamaroneck Village and is just the considered Town of Mamaroneck. Does that make sense? The school district covers the entire town and there is one middle and one high school.

I like Mamaroneck Avenue a lot (between the Post Road and Halstead) - it has a ton of restaurants and stores and is easy to walk up and down. Larchmont has some shopping areas but they are kind of spread out. The area on Palmer around Chatsworth and Larchmont Avenues is nice.

The bottom line is that you will absolutely need a car. Don't forget what winters are like here. Walking home with bags of groceries is a lot less fun in two feet of snow and ice.

Not sure about websites, but you could just google search the Village of Larchmont, the Village of Mamaroneck, and the Town of Mamaroneck.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Hello,
Thank you for your information, I have better idea now. I have to do a more thorough research and to decide on school for my kids. It seems that FASNY is a good school, but there are not that many French schools in new york that are fully accredited by the French ministry of education. Many thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County