U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 4,142 times

Advertisements

My wife got a research job at IBM Watson Research Center and she really wants to take that job. I work in the software field and I can find a job in and around NYC area. Assuming I can find a job in Manhattan, I am trying to figure out which is the best town midway Manhattan and Yorktown Heights to live so that commute doesn't suck big time for either of us. I understand the MTA Metro-North would be the best way to commute to Manhattan and my wife will drive to IBM.

Any suggestions on which towns should I consider between NYC and Yorktown Heights? Here are factors I am looking for in order of priority -
1. Commute time
2. Safety
3. Social events/entertainment

We currently live in Austin, TX
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 AM

678 posts, read 664,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetir View Post
My wife got a research job at IBM Watson Research Center and she really wants to take that job. I work in the software field and I can find a job in and around NYC area. Assuming I can find a job in Manhattan, I am trying to figure out which is the best town midway Manhattan and Yorktown Heights to live so that commute doesn't suck big time for either of us. I understand the MTA Metro-North would be the best way to commute to Manhattan and my wife will drive to IBM.

Any suggestions on which towns should I consider between NYC and Yorktown Heights? Here are factors I am looking for in order of priority -
1. Commute time
2. Safety
3. Social events/entertainment

We currently live in Austin, TX
Sadly, your decision is guided by pricing. South of Yorkown Heights, prices go up significantly the closer to the city you go. A $350,000 home in yorktown might cost $550,000 20 minutes south or over $800,000 in some other areas further south. If money is not an object, I would look in the Saw Mill Parkway and Taconic Parkway Corridors between Scarsdale to the South and Chappaqua to the North. Thats about the halfway point in terms of her drive. Your train to the City depends heavily on the station and whether you have frequent express train options. Until you decide on a price point, nothing else can help answer your questions.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and binging up the price factor. I had never considered the price factor before. We are not looking to buy a house in next couple of year. So as long as house rents are in budget (< $2k for 1 bedroom), we are fine.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,501,147 times
I would think Croton-on-Hudson. Your wife will benefit from a short drive to Watson while you can have a reasonable and reliable train commute to NYC/Grand Central.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I would think Croton-on-Hudson. Your wife will benefit from a short drive to Watson while you can have a reasonable and reliable train commute to NYC/Grand Central.
Thanks for the suggestion. I see there is a fast mta train from Croton to Grand Central. This looks a decent option.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:53 PM

678 posts, read 664,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shetir View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I see there is a fast mta train from Croton to Grand Central. This looks a decent option.
I would agree. I take the train from Croton every day. Its far closer for her, but its a great town. You can get into a nice river view unit at your price point with a shuttle to the train, so you could save on parking. Just a warning, the trains are always 3-5 minutes slower than advertised, sometimes as much as 7 or 8 minutes. The 45 and 46 minutes trains are never actually under 50 minutes, usully about 52. Not sure if and extra 15 minutes per day is going to be a big deal for you, but just wanted to you know.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:26 AM

2,032 posts, read 2,407,023 times
Between those two places and relatively affordable? I would say White Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County