Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,244 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Philipse Manor in Jan and we are expecting our first baby in March. We both work really long hours in NYC and I don't drive (I know, I'll have to learn!), so daycare really isn't an option and, with our hours, a live-in nanny offers more flexibility than someone we would pay hourly.

We looked at using an au pair program but as we are both waiting on our green cards to process - I don't think we can sponsor an au pair for another year or so.

Does anyone know how best to find a live-in Nanny? I have looked on places like Care.com but its a little overwhelming and I would much prefer to find someone through a smaller resource. We are looking for someone to work Mon-Fri only.

Would appreciate any suggestions at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 12:24 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,594 times
Can't vouch for the company, but Home is a local nanny service catering toward Westchester residents. May be worth a call.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:46 AM

814 posts, read 911,469 times
Call me old fashion but back in my day we took responsibilty for our own children and raised them ourselves.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
/\/\

OP said both she and husband will be working full time in nyc. If they're paying for child care with their own money then they ARE taking responsibility for their own children.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:46 PM

263 posts, read 344,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Call me old fashion but back in my day we took responsibilty for our own children and raised them ourselves.
If you are not going to offer any help, then dont even bother answering STEVEN 1. Sheesh! Why invest in women's education at all if the husband wants the wife to remain in the 50's, not realize the value of her own education, and teach their kids that if you can't or don't want to stay at home better not have kids?

As a ft working mom i recommend you look for new moms groups on meetup, fb, or other media and ask in those specific forums. You can also look in care.com or sittercity, but i realize it's not your preferred avenue.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:41 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
If you are not going to offer any help, then dont even bother answering STEVEN 1. Sheesh! Why invest in women's education at all if the husband wants the wife to remain in the 50's, not realize the value of her own education, and teach their kids that if you can't or don't want to stay at home better not have kids?

As a ft working mom i recommend you look for new moms groups on meetup, fb, or other media and ask in those specific forums. You can also look in care.com or sittercity, but i realize it's not your preferred avenue.
No one said the wife needed to be the stay home parent. Where both parents are educated professionals the husband may choose to be the stay at home parent or is that offensive?

Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Really? You raised them? Or did your wife raise them and you did the exact some thing that this poster is discussing, leaving your children in someone else's care while you went to work?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:04 PM

I was in the service for a couple years so if you do not count a one year deployment overseas I raised them side by side with the misses. My wife has a degree, shes a store manager and board certified Cpht, she makes 75k on her own, plus what I make working for Chevrolet.

My point is why do we think that NYC is the only place yo make money? My wife makes it in Manassas, I'm 52k in Culpeper cause Im a good technician that took advantage of General Motors apprenticeship and factory training programs.

We are blessed to bring in a decent income, never had to work in Manhattan to do it.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:12 PM

If you work locally, having dinner with your children, making a school play on time, are very cherished moments. When I was deployed I missed the birth of my second child child and a babys first christmas, I'll never get that back.

Now our boys are 19 and 23 and the 23 year old started his own family. at 44 I'm a grandparent, I'm telling you your children will grow and they will grow fast, do not miss the moments you may never get back.

Last edited by STEVEN 1; 12-24-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 01:51 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
My point is why do we think that NYC is the only place yo make money? My wife makes it in Manassas,
Does the OP have a job offer in Manassas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County