Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:50 AM

263 posts, read 344,043 times

Advertisements

When we moved from texas a year ago, we looked for anywhere in lower Westchester where we could find an updated house (didn't need to be all new, but at least decent kitchen and baths), and with good schools, good square footage... We ended up buying in Ardsley.

I have been following the local housing market ever since, and I see a number of homes that have been on the market for very long, some now even appear as in pre-foreclosure... On my street alone there were 4 houses for sale, none of which sold (for different reasons, but still). All over town there seems to be a permanant stock of homes for sale that dont sell...they vary from smaller fixers in the $600 range to larger mc mansions in the $1.2 and up range...

My point is , where i lived in Houston homes would go with multiple offers within a week. It seems here that doesnt happen even proximity to the city... My commute is 55 to 60 minutes door to door, so i would think these areas are very desirable, but the housing market seems slow... Any comment on what's going on? Is it a bad year? If we decide to move out and want to sell, i dont want to be in this situation!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 07:03 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Could be seasonal. Buyers tend to be more active in the summer when they expect more nice homes to list.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:50 AM

814 posts, read 911,224 times
Westchester County New York is one of the most exspensive and tax corrupt places you could possibly live. Alot of the folks who live there are keep up with the neighbor types and they justify it all by telling you about its close proximity to NYC and its great schools.

With the exception of good jobs being in the city, as a whole NYC is an overated trash can, its old and filthy. As far as good schools go a good education can be had just about anywhere because education works exactly how life does, you'll get out of it what you put into it.

New York is a state that is run by alot of crooked politcians, I was born and raised in New York, they get you to buy into this Westchester Paradise, its nothing more then smoke and mirrors.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
When we moved from texas a year ago, we looked for anywhere in lower Westchester where we could find an updated house (didn't need to be all new, but at least decent kitchen and baths), and with good schools, good square footage... We ended up buying in Ardsley.

I have been following the local housing market ever since, and I see a number of homes that have been on the market for very long, some now even appear as in pre-foreclosure... On my street alone there were 4 houses for sale, none of which sold (for different reasons, but still). All over town there seems to be a permanant stock of homes for sale that dont sell...they vary from smaller fixers in the $600 range to larger mc mansions in the $1.2 and up range...

My point is , where i lived in Houston homes would go with multiple offers within a week. It seems here that doesnt happen even proximity to the city... My commute is 55 to 60 minutes door to door, so i would think these areas are very desirable, but the housing market seems slow... Any comment on what's going on? Is it a bad year? If we decide to move out and want to sell, i dont want to be in this situation!!
Pricing. Nice houses priced right go in 72 hours.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:57 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,416 times
You will do what others are trying to do when you decide to move. Jack up the price, see if there any takers if not then you walk away from your mortgage. Sadly, people bought houses for a lot more then they are worth and they're making a strategic move. Why bother if you can easily move your assets? Don't forget property taxes, corruption on unimaginable scale and general sod-off attitude by most people living there. It's still a great place if you can only forget about the bureaucratic apparatus making life annoying.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:17 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Westchester County New York is one of the most exspensive and tax corrupt places you could possibly live. Alot of the folks who live there are keep up with the neighbor types and they justify it all by telling you about its close proximity to NYC and its great schools.

With the exception of good jobs being in the city, as a whole NYC is an overated trash can, its old and filthy. As far as good schools go a good education can be had just about anywhere because education works exactly how life does, you'll get out of it what you put into it.

New York is a state that is run by alot of crooked politcians, I was born and raised in New York, they get you to buy into this Westchester Paradise, its nothing more then smoke and mirrors.
If that ain't the God's honest truth. The list of corrupt New York politicians is a mile long. Just recently Shelley Silver (D) speaker of the assembly is now on his way to prison. He will soon have company as Dean Skelos (R) Senate majority leader will be joining him along with his son. It's current governor "I'll Duce" Andrew Cuomo is under investigation for disbanding the "Moreland Commission" which was investigating political corruption in Albany. Apparently it was getting too close to "I'll Duce" and his cronies. Way to go Preet Bharara! I wish you all the success in the world to bring down that petty little tyrant. Love to see him behind bars also. That arrogant little swine. Then there's New York's former governor Eliot "Client #9", "The Sheriff of Wall St." Spitzer what a fine upstanding citizen he is. Just put a set of horns on him and pointy ears and he looks exactly like the devil. These are the types of people New Yorker's place their faith and trust in to make decisions and pass laws that will have a profound affect on their lives. Let's just be grateful that by the grace of God we're out of that place.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-27-2015 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 05:53 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post

If I were you I'd be heading back to Texas. There's a reason that homes in Houston go fast. It is by all accounts a desirable place to live. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it other than take a loss and move back. The New York metro area is one of, if not the most expensive places to live in the country. I don't see that improving anytime soon if ever. The public employees unions have a stranglehold on the New York State legislature. Which is the reason for the astronomical property taxes. "Just ask and ye shall receive" should be the motto of the legislature with regard to it's unionized workers both state and local. Property taxes drive up the cost of everything as businesses pass those taxes on to the consumer.

New York State has led the nation in out migration. They've lost two electoral votes and congressional seats since the last census. Most of the people who are moving in are illegal invaders placing a significant burden on social services and at the same time bringing down wages. Cuomo is trying to raise the minimum wage for state workers to $15 an hour and coerce private businesses to do the same. This can only make the situation worse as it will increase the cost of state and private labor and may even cost jobs in the private sector. Not so state workers as the taxpayers of New York are an ATM for it's government. Margaret Thatcher's prediction will come true as more people leave they will soon run out of other people's money.

Another reason why the homes are so expensive there is it's close proximity to NYC and the financial industry. Placing most homes out of reach for the average middle class family. Not everybody works on Wall Street or are doctors and lawyers with lucrative careers.

My sister in law has been trying to sell her house in Irvington for well over two years and it still isn't budging. However home sales have been down for quite some time now all over the country.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:35 PM

NYC/Westchester/Fairfield is for the uber wealthy which is fine if you're in that category. If you're not however there are many other states that offer decent jobs if your are educated or skilled trade.

The state of New York is beautiful but its very very liberal and is run by lousy politicians, they've destroyed a good state and Wall Street being part of New York just adds to the corruption.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
NYC/Westchester/Fairfield is for the uber wealthy which is fine if you're in that category.
Or if you aspire to be in that category.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Or if you aspire to be in that category.
I would agree but you still have to be able to afford the cost of living in that area until you make it. Most of these communities are affluent and the Wall Streeters can absorb the costs, but most middle class families cannot.

The school teacher and paramedic should be able to live there as well because they play a very important part in that community, I've never met either who could afford a 900,000 dollar home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County