U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,740,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
My observation has been that Westchester was well established as a suburban enclave well before the post WWII exodus to the suburbs.
Indeed. Westchester's post-war growth pattern resembled that of Queens.Between 1940 and 1970, Westchester's population grew from 573,000 to 894,000 (56%). Queens went from 1,298,000 to 1,986,000 (53%).

In contrast Nassau's population more than tripled, from 407,000 in 1940 to 1,428,000 in 1970.

The Bronx is 42 square miles while Queens is 109 square miles, so it makes sense that the Bronx filled up faster and Westchester developed earlier.

It makes logical sense that Westchester that the old wealthy villages that barely grew after WWII (like Bronxville) were initially populated by people from Manhattan (they would have by-passed the Bronx altogether) while I'm guessing Jews (initially going to New Rochelle and Scarsdale) and Italians (to places like Harrison) from NYC would have come both the Bronx and Manhattan in the postwar years.

On the other hand, I wonder if Queens, as "a suburb in the city", took in a lot of people from the Bronx as well (who may have made their way to Long Island after that).

The working class cities like Yonkers and Mount Vernon I suspect became home to a good number of African Americans, West Indians and Puerto Ricans.

Other posters have pointed out is that Westchester attracts more professional transplants to the NYC region (which was probably true in the past as well, at least judging by popular culture: think of the executive in The Apartment who lived in White Plains or the Dick Van Dyke show taking place in New Rochelle). That certainly seems true in my experience: non-NYC natives who end up in the affluent suburbs seem to prefer Westchester and NJ over LI).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 AM

50 posts, read 77,412 times
I cast another vote for the Bronx if you go back a generation or two, and before that, heavily Italian, Jewish, Irish, Hispanic etc.

I grew up in White Plains and we actually had a lot of transplants from North Carolina. In the 60's/70's WP was one of the first cities to fully integrate their schools so families flocked here from less integrated areas of the coast.

This is one of the great things about Westchester - hard to nail because we're a nicely mixed county, much like the rest of the metro area.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:04 AM

406 posts, read 526,519 times
In 1850, a man named John Stevens in Manhattan, purchased what is now Mount Vernon and created a 'Home Association' where people who lived in Manhattan could come out to the 'country' to enjoy nature. They would pay dues to use the property-I believe they could build second homes there also. Mount Vernon was a part of Eastchester, then became Mount Vernon.

I imagine some of the original settlers were from this home association, and came from Manhattan.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I frequent the Long Island forum often and many are descendants of people originally from Queens and Brooklyn....do people from Westchester have roots from the 5 boroughs too and namely, what parts?
This may help answer your question. Of those who Westchester residents in 1960 that lived in NYC in 1955, 47% came from the Bronx and 28% from Manhattan. In other words, 75% of those coming from NYC came from Manhattan and the Bronx.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=oW7...unsman&f=false

Old 11-21-2016, 10:32 PM

19,492 posts, read 34,556,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
This may help answer your question. Of those who Westchester residents in 1960 that lived in NYC in 1955, 47% came from the Bronx and 28% from Manhattan. In other words, 75% of those coming from NYC came from Manhattan and the Bronx.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=oW7...unsman&f=false
Cool thanks!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-22-2016, 12:27 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,457,597 times
Westchester seems more a suburb of the Bronx and Manhattan, and Long Island a suburb of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Westchester seems more a suburb of the Bronx and Manhattan, and Long Island a suburb of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.
I don't think there are many movers from Staten Island to Long Island.

I think it's more like Brooklyn - Staten Island - Central NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or