Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM

34 posts, read 55,425 times

Advertisements

I don't have much to add to what jpg wp said, and I won't waste your time echoing it. I'll simply say that the high school consistently sends graduating students to a wide range of colleges - including those at the very "top of the rankings." That's been true since I graduated in 1995. Since I entered WP schools in the 80's, they have been educating a student body full of people who enter kindergarten with different levels of preparation, and have had a meaningful portion of each graduating class achieve at the highest academic levels. I know the District is proud of its enrichment offerings like "I-block" and Great Books, and I won't belabor that point beyond what jpg wp said.

Speaking about my own recent experience, I can tell you that my daughter is currently in kindergarten. (And I like to think of her as having been more prepared than most of her classmates!) I claim no expertise in what appropriate development should be for a kindergartener, but my wife and I have been very happy to see her become comfortable reading, writing, and starting to do some math, in just a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 AM

307 posts, read 633,721 times
There seems to be a lot of recommendations for White Plains, however I don't think White Plains offers many 1+ acre plots with privacy for 600k, which seems to be of utmost importance to the OP.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 12,614 times
Thanks neil1973, you're correct. I have looked into White Plains based on recommendations, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the offering in our price range. Privacy and quality of house would trump schools and things to do-- we don't have kids quite yet, and I anticipate wanting to be close to those things, but we are willing to travel a bit to have fun.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notthemamayet View Post
Thanks neil1973, you're correct. I have looked into White Plains based on recommendations, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the offering in our price range. Privacy and quality of house would trump schools and things to do-- we don't have kids quite yet, and I anticipate wanting to be close to those things, but we are willing to travel a bit to have fun.
Somers, North Salem, South Salem, Bedford, Katonah, Croton, Yorktown would all fit your needs. These are all outdoorsy area's with space, and plenty of working and commuting professionals as well as good schools.

Bedford and Katonah may be a bit over your budget, but you never know.

I suggest driving through some of these areas to get a feel for what the houses and general neighborhoods look like.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,220 times
I saw that you were asking about Ossining. I have a house in Ossining, two kids, and I love the schools.

The Princeton model encourages diversity (All kids in the town go through school together, so kids from all the different neighborhoods get to know each other and work with each other.) They are also amazing at meeting the needs of all students, from those who need help with English, to kids with disabilities, to kids who need an extra challenge.

Ossining also has full day pre-K, dual language program from k through 6th grade, music instruction from Grade 3, appropriate technology resources, and a great 3 year science research project in the high school.

I don't have direct experience with other districts, but when I was researching towns I did talk about schools with people, and I knew that I did not want an underperforming school district that ignored the needs of at-level or higher performing students, or a high test scores district where at-level students need tutors to keep up and are under a lot of pressure. I wanted positive diversity- where diversity of income, background, race is embraced by the school system and not ignored. Ossining fit the bill for me.

The commute is 50 minutes by train. (My commute was 1 hour 15 minutes total including daycare dropoff, parking, walking, etc.) It's a modest family town. There's not a lot to do in town, but it is walkable with a cute downtown, and small town events. It doesn't have big chain stores for shopping (for which I am thankful!) but Mt Kisco and White Plains and Cortlandt Manor have all that.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:22 PM

87 posts, read 227,709 times
anaid is spot on about Ossining schools but actually understates the incredible success of the science research program here. For those who don't know, that is a capital G, GREAT, research program and extremely popular with the students. Ossining HS is consistently at or near tops in the county by number of Intel Science Talent Search semifinalists (8 this year) and seem to always have winners in the state and local competitions as well.

Several years back, Intel recognized it as most outstanding program in the whole US! Really phenomenal what they've been able to do.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 PM

71 posts, read 104,032 times
Have you considered Mount Kisco /Bedford Schools or Pocantico Hills schools (they cover several areas), these locations may work for your family. I agree 100% with above posters, find the community first then look for the home.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM

89 posts, read 443,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Saraceno View Post
Have you considered Mount Kisco /Bedford Schools or Pocantico Hills schools (they cover several areas), these locations may work for your family. I agree 100% with above posters, find the community first then look for the home.

Hello, I am in very similar situation to the OP. What can you tell me about Mount Kisco? I see a lot of posts on here, but they are very dated and 2-8 years old, so I'd like a more fresh take on it. .

Specifically, I see a lot of negativity around illegal immigrants. Are there certain parts of town that should be avoided in particular? East or West of Main street? We are also mid-30s moving from Brooklyn and a bi-racial couple, so we prefer more diversity. I have no issues about immigrants, but I see some noise about illegal immigrant activities where they squeeze lots of people into single family homes in some areas - I came from a town on Long Island that saw a lot of this as I was older, and it's not appealing if this is a true issue. It doesn't sound unlike what I've read a lot about Ossining, the other town we arelooking in, but it does seem the school ratings are much better in Mount Kisco and the taxes are 50%+ lower.

Unlike the OP, we are looking for a 1 hour max commute on the train with one of us working near Grand Central and the other from home. We dont require much land, and would like to be walking distance or at least biking distance to a downtown area.

Thanks for opinions in advance!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,520,706 times
Elle - its been my experience that there are quite a number of biracial couples with kids in Rye Neck. Both the Rye Neck school district, and the Mamaroneck/Larchmont school district, have around 25% diversity. So coming from Brooklyn its less of a shock to the system than somewhere like, for example, Rye which is about 90% WASP. (I'm not knocking Rye - its a beautiful town with fantastic schools and a strong community). Also I'm a WASP so I think I'm allowed to use the term WASPY under current PC guidelines.

You don't state a price range but properties in Mamaroneck and Rye Neck go from 450K up to 10 million if you want a private peninsula on the Sound. The commute time (I'm talking the train part only) is around 35-40 mins. The downtown is close to most parts of the village.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle67 View Post
Hello, I am in very similar situation to the OP. What can you tell me about Mount Kisco? I see a lot of posts on here, but they are very dated and 2-8 years old, so I'd like a more fresh take on it. .

Specifically, I see a lot of negativity around illegal immigrants. Are there certain parts of town that should be avoided in particular? East or West of Main street? We are also mid-30s moving from Brooklyn and a bi-racial couple, so we prefer more diversity. I have no issues about immigrants, but I see some noise about illegal immigrant activities where they squeeze lots of people into single family homes in some areas - I came from a town on Long Island that saw a lot of this as I was older, and it's not appealing if this is a true issue. It doesn't sound unlike what I've read a lot about Ossining, the other town we arelooking in, but it does seem the school ratings are much better in Mount Kisco and the taxes are 50%+ lower.

Unlike the OP, we are looking for a 1 hour max commute on the train with one of us working near Grand Central and the other from home. We dont require much land, and would like to be walking distance or at least biking distance to a downtown area.

Thanks for opinions in advance!

Mount Kisco does have an immigrant population, however its been my experience that these are hard working people who value their community. I live in a neighboring town, I think Mt Kisco looks like a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County