Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 03:14 PM

38 posts, read 229,639 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm considering accepting a job in Tarrytown. I've looked at apartments around there and can't seem to find anything reasonably priced. Seems that a lot of the prices in Westchester county are higher than the outer boroughs. I'd like to have a reasonable commute by car (40 mins) or train (up to an hour - would have to be on a metro north train I assume). I prefer an urban area, but I realize there's nothing too desirable around that area which meets this criteria. I'm hoping to spend $1400 or less on a one bedroom apt. I was thinking possibly the Riverdale section of the Bronx or Nyack...any comments on these areas would be nice. Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,044 times
My sister goes to boarding school in Tarrytown, comes home every weekend. We live in the northwest Bronx, right by Riverdale. It's about 25 minutes away by driving.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 PM

38 posts, read 229,639 times
Is 1400$ reasonable for a 1BR in Riverdale? I've looked on Craigslist and there are very few listings for that area. Any suggestions on finding a decent 1 BR in Riverdale for around that price? Other area suggestions still appreciated.....

Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,044 times
You'd have to really look, but you could find one. Neighboring neighborhoods offer two bedrooms for that price, such as Van Cortlandt Village:

Van Cortlandt Village, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2007, 07:12 AM

506 posts, read 2,280,259 times
Smile 1 bedrooms in riverdale,,

i have a couple of 1 bedrooms in that price range.....

Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,022 times
I realize I'm reading this about 5 months late, but I was interested in seeing what you decided. I'm going to be moving up there to work in Tarrytown in June, so I'd love to hear your side. I'd love to try out NYC, but I know that I will end up loathing the commute (and the ridiculous rent for the small places)...so I was actually leaning towards White Plains, as it offers more of a 'city life' feel without the lengthy commute. Buy maybe some addt'l insight may sway me? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 69,114 times
Firstly, $1400 or less for a 1 bedroom is a bit unrealistic. Do you really need to have a 1 bedroom? Or, could you settle for an Alcove studio? Think about it.

Secondly, Tarrytown is great, if you can live AND work there, it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter85 View Post
I'm hoping to spend $1400 or less on a one bedroom apt. I was thinking possibly the Riverdale section of the Bronx or Nyack...
Nyack is better than Tarrytown in many ways, but $1400 or less for a 1 bedroom apartment, like I said before, is difficult (if not impossible) to find.

I know someone who is renting a decent-sized studio in Nyack for $1300. Granted, it's in a fairly nice building overlooking the Tappan Zee.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,000 times
Smile $1400 for a 1-bedroom is entirely possible!

Hi There,
My husband and I live in Nyack and currently pay $1425 for a two-bedroom. We have friends who are paying about that as well for a two-bedroom. The apartments are definitely out there, you just have to look! The closer you are to the river view, the more expensive the apartment will be. We went through a real-estate agent and got exactly what we were looking for. You should definitely be able to find a one-bedroom for under $1400! This is our 2nd apartment in Nyack together (my husband has rented here a great deal more than I have, but I have also rented in Westchester - Pleasantville area) so I think you will find something in your price range if you decide first where you want to live and second, what you are (reasonably) looking for in an apartment. Then, search within your price range and you should be able to find it! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookw0rm View Post
Firstly, $1400 or less for a 1 bedroom is a bit unrealistic. Do you really need to have a 1 bedroom? Or, could you settle for an Alcove studio? Think about it.

Secondly, Tarrytown is great, if you can live AND work there, it's worth it.

Nyack is better than Tarrytown in many ways, but $1400 or less for a 1 bedroom apartment, like I said before, is difficult (if not impossible) to find.

I know someone who is renting a decent-sized studio in Nyack for $1300. Granted, it's in a fairly nice building overlooking the Tappan Zee.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
What about living in Yorktown, Croton or Ossining area? The rent will be cheaper and your commute will be short. Yorktown would be the farthest and that would take appox 25 minutes. It's farther from manhattan more up north but they are nice places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County