U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,233 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I may soon relocate to Mount Vernon NY from the Chicago area for a job in NYC. A friend who lives in NYC suggested I look into Mount Vernon or New Rochelle for affordable housing, as opposed to NYC. I am a single middle aged female looking for a one bedroom that is close to a Metro North line. I have a car and would need parking. I prefer that the train station is within walking distance from the apartment. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look?

From my research I see apartments in private homes are more affordable. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with respect to that (are such referrals prohibited on this forum)?

Does anyone know of an "Apartment Finders" service (not an online service but brick and mortar) that I can contact for assistance with my search? I can do a Google search for an apartment, but I'd like to have personal assistance, if possible, from someone local to Mount Vernon.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 PM

29 posts, read 33,433 times
Do you know where your workplace would be? I ask because Metro North runs along the east side of Manhattan to Grand Central; if your workplace will be on the west side or in lower Manhattan, you might find the Metro North less convenient than the Long Island Railroad, NJ Transit or the subway. What is your budget? It's entirely possible that you might be able to find a place in Queens or the Bronx that would meet your needs with a shorter commute.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 PM

406 posts, read 526,249 times
If you move to Mount Vernon, the nicest area is Fleetwood and it is near Metro North, close enough to walk to the station. There are tons of apartment buildings in Fleetwood. Also, there are plenty of shops and restaurants in the 2 block area, but you will have to drive to Bronxville (5 minutes away) for groceries.

I would look for a realtor in Fleetwood who may help you to find a two family for rent. That's what I did years ago and I found a place.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:34 AM

187 posts, read 336,283 times
If I were a single , middle aged female, (well I am middle aged, but not single) I would look into New Rochelle before Mt Vernon, even though the advice of the above poster is good for area around train station. In general, New Rochelle would give you more housing options.

As alsmez said above, I would consider where the job is in Manhattan. Metro North monthly train passes and parking is EXPENSIVE, so depending upon your finances, it would be more affordable to live in good parts of the bronx, or queens, where you have access to the subways - and there are good parts, but that is a different forum....

Old 04-09-2016, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 4,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic1 View Post
Hello,

I may soon relocate to Mount Vernon NY from the Chicago area for a job in NYC. A friend who lives in NYC suggested I look into Mount Vernon or New Rochelle for affordable housing, as opposed to NYC. I am a single middle aged female looking for a one bedroom that is close to a Metro North line. I have a car and would need parking. I prefer that the train station is within walking distance from the apartment. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look?

From my research I see apartments in private homes are more affordable. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with respect to that (are such referrals prohibited on this forum)?

Does anyone know of an "Apartment Finders" service (not an online service but brick and mortar) that I can contact for assistance with my search? I can do a Google search for an apartment, but I'd like to have personal assistance, if possible, from someone local to Mount Vernon.

Thank you!
Hi, I would suggest the area near Petrillo Plaza. There are a dozen apartment buildings and large family homes with rooms for rent, and it is right on the Metro North New Haven Line. The station is called Mount Vernon East, and its about a half hour from Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan. The area has places where you can shop and dine. Gramatan Ave. is filled with restaurants and eateries. There's a Foodtown supermarket and Rite aid's along Prospect Avenue inside of a strip mall. Then if you cross over the tracks,there's the 4th Ave. shopping district, where you can buy clothes, bedding, hair supplies,toiletries. There are a number of buses in the area too, because the transit plaza is there next to the station.

Here are links some apartments in that area

[url=http://www.apartments.com/the-saratoga-mount-vernon-ny/qd4g8jz/]The Saratoga Rentals - Mount Vernon, NY | Apartments.com[/url]

[url=http://www.trulia.com/rental/3225062545-Multi-Family-Home-Mount-Vernon-NY-10550]Rental Listing for Mount Vernon, NY 10550 | Trulia[/url]

[url=http://www.trulia.com/rental/3212415066-250-E-Prospect-Ave-3-Mount-Vernon-NY-10550]250 East Prospect Avenue #3, Mount Vernon, NY | Trulia[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County