Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:44 PM

151 posts, read 199,710 times

Advertisements

I've been exploring parts of lower Westchester to move to from Manhattan. So far, I really liked the East Hartsdale area the best (that can change!). I was wondering if anyone had any input on specific co-op/condo buildings in the area. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom and have a cat (never thought a cat would be a problem in finding a place, but I'm realizing that it could be). Indoor parking would be great, but not sure it's a deal breaker. I originally thought I wanted an apartment building, but have become intrigued by the Country Club Ridge garden apartment development when I found out it has a pool! Any advice/input and thoughts about the area in general would be greatly appreciated. I am a single woman in my 40s and I realize it won't be anything like Manhattan, but I got a good feeling there.

Please no comments on how moving to Westchester as a single person is a terrible idea and declarations of why I shouldn't buy a co-op (I've been getting tons of those comments on other threads). Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 AM

71 posts, read 104,570 times
68, 120 & 130 E Hartsdale Ave are your best bets for pet friendly. There are 6 listings among the 3 buildings. Good luck - this is a great area to socialize! Westchester welcomes you!!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:01 AM

62 posts, read 89,406 times
45 is also Pet-friendly.

I live on E Hartsdale and absolutely love it. Close to the train (I work in city). A nice village. Clean and quiet. Also, it has a surprising amount of great places for food. Whether shopping or eating in. The large Asian population has resulted in some great eats.

I strongly recommended the area, single, married or family.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:32 AM

44 posts, read 59,611 times
I am also interested in the Hartsdale co-ops. A report of my very first visit follows:

I paid a short visit to East Hartsdale Ave last Friday night after work, around 8 pm. Wow, that place was quiet! I am used to walking by Times Square on my way to the train station and Friday nights here are anything but quiet.
There was a slow, not-too-loud hum of the cars driving by, which is okay. One thing I noticed was that the road is on a slope. Hartsdale Towers, for instance, is at a higher elevation than 120 E Hartsdale Ave. I hope this doesn't result in water logging in the lower areas when the snow thaws or during excessive rains or hurricanes. Maybe that was a hilly area a long time ago.
The road, by the way, is narrower than it looks on Google maps. Some of the balcony areas appear to be too close to the road; those of 50 E Hartsdale Ave, for instance. In any case, that complex is gorgeous and pricey as well.
On Central Park Ave, there was some sort of card-playing game going on in a small store called "Undiscovered Realm". Rows of guys, looking intently at something that looked like playing cards. Not sure what was going on, but it looked interesting.
A few people were out walking their dogs. A couple of families were out for postprandial ice-creams and the restaurants were busy with large family/friend groups but not heavily crowded. Overall, I loved the very family-like vibe over there. Maybe I should visit during the day or on weekends to get a more complete picture.

A few questions:
(1) What is the maintenance fees in the co-ops, on an average, in that area? Is it around the 500-600? Upto 1000?
(2) Does the maintenance fees depend on the floor space? Is the fees less for a smaller co-op?
(3) Does it include property tax?
(4) I assume the HOA fees for condos do not include property tax. Is that correct?
(5) Any recommendation for a real estate agent for the Hartsdale co-ops? I see a few names in zillow.com, but there doesn't seem to be one who is common for all that area.

Thanks and regards!

Last edited by budweiser; 04-11-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 04-24-2016, 08:51 PM

Just noticed all the responses, sorry! I didn't get any alerts. Thanks for all the info.

Budweiser - as for maint. fees, they seem to be in the 800s for a 1 bedroom. I don't know that there is a standard for sure though. I think it's based on size. Yes, taxes are included in maint in a co-op (as opposed to a condo that you pay taxes separately). I don't know any realtors that specifically specialize in Hartsdale, sorry.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:17 PM

71 posts, read 104,570 times
I would recommend a Realtor that specializes in Co-op purchases as opposed to a specific area. They can be tricky. Good Luck!

Old 04-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Saraceno View Post
I would recommend a Realtor that specializes in Co-op purchases as opposed to a specific area. They can be tricky. Good Luck!
Amanda, do you know anything about the parking situation on East Hartsdale Ave? I called Hartsdale Parking at the advice of a realtor at an open house and the guy on the phone told me that there is no parking on the street allowed overnight in the winter months. He also said there is a waiting list for the garages they service. What does someone do if they don't have a lot in their building and can't get in the lot? This is the first I heard of this.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:08 PM

10 posts, read 15,878 times
Wow. I was looking for parking laws in Hartsdale and found this post -- I actually live in Country Club Ridge (CCR). My husband and I purchased our place almost 3 years ago wanting a quieter, suburban lifestyle. We were getting too old for Brooklyn (Greenpoint) and couldn't stand all the millennial hipsters or the G train. CCR is a quiet, family-friendly co-op. We chose it over the other co-ops on E. Hartsdale due to its proximity to the train, as well as its open feel (the greenery is nice).

There is a good variety of diverse neighbors in CCR, ranging from young families with little kids, to older couples, retirees, and everyone in between. This is our first home/co-op so I'm not sure how the co-op management compares to others, but maintenance gets done and the co-op board is a typical co-op board from what we've heard. CCR is cat-friendly, but not dog friendly - there are signs that say dogs are not allowed on the premises, but I've seen people walking their dogs on occasion. There's a waiting list for the garage spaces, but we didn't put our name on the list since parking is abundant -- almost too abundant, street parking is often used by Metro North commuters and tenants of other co-ops in the area, much to my chagrin.

The walkability of the E Hartsdale area definitely pales in comparison to what we had access to in Greenpoint, but at least there are restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRA View Post
Wow. I was looking for parking laws in Hartsdale and found this post -- I actually live in Country Club Ridge (CCR). My husband and I purchased our place almost 3 years ago wanting a quieter, suburban lifestyle. We were getting too old for Brooklyn (Greenpoint) and couldn't stand all the millennial hipsters or the G train. CCR is a quiet, family-friendly co-op. We chose it over the other co-ops on E. Hartsdale due to its proximity to the train, as well as its open feel (the greenery is nice).

There is a good variety of diverse neighbors in CCR, ranging from young families with little kids, to older couples, retirees, and everyone in between. This is our first home/co-op so I'm not sure how the co-op management compares to others, but maintenance gets done and the co-op board is a typical co-op board from what we've heard. CCR is cat-friendly, but not dog friendly - there are signs that say dogs are not allowed on the premises, but I've seen people walking their dogs on occasion. There's a waiting list for the garage spaces, but we didn't put our name on the list since parking is abundant -- almost too abundant, street parking is often used by Metro North commuters and tenants of other co-ops in the area, much to my chagrin.

The walkability of the E Hartsdale area definitely pales in comparison to what we had access to in Greenpoint, but at least there are restaurants and shops within walking distance.
Thanks for the info! I actually looked at a place in CCR. Would you recommend it? When you moved from Brooklyn did you look at other areas in Westchester?

Old 05-13-2016, 07:06 PM

10 posts, read 15,878 times
Happy to help! I would strongly recommend CCR if you ultimately choose Hartsdale. We looked at other co-ops along E Hartsdale and it was the best overall co-op we saw. It's quiet and cozy, and you can actually hear birds chirping. Location-wise, it's about a 7 minute walk to the train station (it may be more or less depending on which CCR building you're in). If you're commuting into the city for work, express trains take about 35-40 minutes and you can easily get a seat on some of the morning express trains since some of them will arrive to the Hartsdale stop empty. The Scarsdale stop can be a mad rush for seats in the morning.

Another thing, traffic on E Hartsdale can get really congested, and there are two entrances and exits through CCR - as opposed to other co-ops that have garages where you may have to cross traffic to get in/out of. Its a small detail that I really never paid attention to or appreciated until I started driving around more. On the other hand, one constant annoyance due to CCR's "campus" like setting: deliveries may be a little bit of a headache for some delivery guys who aren't familiar with all the buildings and the numbering.

When we were looking to buy, we basically focused on co-ops on E Hartsdale and Garth Road. Ultimately we went with CCR since there weren't any other comparable garden-style co-ops that were within walking distance to the train. I'm happy with our decision and would gladly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County