Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,633 times

Advertisements

We are new to New Rochelle and are very interested in the dual language program in the schools here (CILA). We have a toddler and an infant so we have time before they start school. What do you know about the CILA Spanish program? Is it hard to get into? Do you have personal experience with it? Are there other districts in Westchester with dual language instruction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,178,436 times
Ossining has a reportedly excellent intensive dual language English/Spanish program. My understanding is that placement is determined by the school and that it is not something you can request or opt out of.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 AM

354 posts, read 771,889 times
White Plains has one that is very highly regarded. There is a waiting list to get in. I don't have direct experience with it but know people who have kids in the program and they love it.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:13 PM

103 posts, read 571,234 times
The school district of the Tarrytowns, which serves Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow, has a dual language program in K-4.
Welcome to the Dual Language Program

Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 PM

64 posts, read 203,156 times
We are part of the dual language program is Ossining. The above poster is not quite correct - it is a completely voluntary program based on an application/ lottery - they would never force someone into the program if they weren't interested. However, it is an extremely popular option and they have a waiting list every year. They do make sure the class is roughly half native Spanish speakers and half native other languages (generally English, but we have a Mandarin speaker in our class). It is our first year and has been great. A little odd at first to have your young child with homework you can't read, but they amazingly figure it out really quickly. I would just call the school your child will attend and ask to speak to someone about it.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,178,436 times
^^Thanks for correcting me. My understanding was probably wrong or at least outdated. It was based on our friends experience; their daughter was placed in the program at K and they found not being able to read her homework really frustrating. My understanding was that they tried to have her moved out of the program, but I could be mistaken. She stayed in the program for 3 years until they moved to Briarcliff and I believe they grew to like it. It definitely has a good reputation.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 AM

64 posts, read 203,156 times
No worries, dma!

I've found people who get placed in K or 1st are sometimes surprised by it - kind of 'forgetting' that they did apply apply. The application happens quite a few months before placement. And the placement letter doesn't make a big deal of it - just says the teacher's name. When we were at meet the teacher this year I found 2 parents who didn't realize it was a DL class until they saw Spanish signs around the room!

And in our district they do ask for a committment through 3rd or 4th grade. Part of that is b/c it is a lottery and space is limited so they dont want a bunch of people trying it for the heck of it and taking the place of someone who really values the concept. I think it's also likely a lot of parents are freaked about not being able to help and so question if it's the right choice soon into it. Requiring the commitment helps take away the option of quitting (though I'm sure if a kid was really struggling the school would be open to change).

Old 05-09-2016, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 17,172 times
I know this is an old post - I was wondering if anyone has any additional information about any of these programs? I have been looking online and I don't see information on how people usually apply or the chances of getting in? I am moving to either White Plains or Ossining at the end of the year and want more information.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 AM

35 posts, read 56,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugor View Post
I know this is an old post - I was wondering if anyone has any additional information about any of these programs? I have been looking online and I don't see information on how people usually apply or the chances of getting in? I am moving to either White Plains or Ossining at the end of the year and want more information.
Why don't you call the school districts? This isn't meant to be snarky. I have just found that when you rely on just asking people you can get misinformation. For example, I live in Tarrytown and there is a dual-language program that you have to apply to. One neighbor went around with a petition objecting to it because she said that "ALL classes will now be taught in Spanish and English." She told this to everyone very authoritatively, but what she was saying wasn't true -- classes were in Spanish and English IF you wanted to be in the program and got into it.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM

13 posts, read 17,172 times
Yes I will call - I was just trying to find out general info since online searches didn't yield a lot of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County