Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 691 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone.

I need help/direction.

My father has COPD, his oxygen level is 3. He is on Oxygen all the time. My mother has been the primary care-taker of him. She has been HOSPITALIZED with an E-coli infection. The doctors just informed us that SHE NEEDS OPEN HEART SURGERY.

I have been taking care of him for a while, 24/7. I am about to run out of my vacation time.

This bring me to the issue.

I am the primary earner of the household. My wife is starting her business ( which has been on hold for few days).There are 2 teenagers and 1 young fellow. We also got a new "big" puppy dog.

I have three options:-

1) I can take him to my place.

2) Health Aide.

3) Nursing Home.

Please give me your suggestion and reasoning behind it.

Thanks and God bless everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:06 AM

35 posts, read 56,751 times
I think the answer will depend on what he (or you) can afford. We recently moved my mother-in-law to Brightview Tarrytown because of physical issues and dementia. We are very happy with Brightview, but it is fairly expensive (about $9,00 a month). Interestingly, it is much less expensive than the in-home care she was getting, but I guess that makes sense because the in-home care was 24/7, one-on-one. The in-home care was costing $3,600 a week/$14,400 a month. The other factor for us was that the in-home caregiver was completely handling her finances and we feel more comfortable taking control of that. Having your father in your home will be a lot of work (but I don't need to tell you that), but could be a considerable savings.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:33 AM

50 posts, read 100,929 times
Nursing home, if you have the means. My father had a stroke last year, as well as some other issues. He was bounced around a lot between rehab, senior care, and home care. I can relate to your stresses. Home care seems convenient but if you aren't home and the care is only every few days, you will need to tend to your father in between. And seems to me there is always a shortage of home nurses.

A good nursing home, that your father likes, will ease your burden. Mine did stints at Andrus-on-Hudson in Dobbs Ferry and Cabrini in Hastings. Cabrini is a very nice home although he liked Andrus better.

If things get tough, try to contact senior services of Westchester County and they can advise you on options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County