U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:45 AM

195 posts, read 191,077 times

Advertisements

I agree Allany13 - I've worked in Larchmont and found there to be a very high percentage of French families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 AM

518 posts, read 417,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lol, you make Scarsdale sound like a boy scout troop. According to USA Today Scarsdale is the richest town in America The 10 richest towns in America

You don't get that way by being a boy scout, you get that way by being ferociously hard-nosed and competitive. And I base my sample size on 50 years of living in and around Scarsdale.
My life experiences may have been different than yours. I just don't think "rich" people have a monopoly on poor behavior. I have met many rich people, from all over the place, that are humble, kind, and accommodating of others. I have met many poorer people that are none of these things. I have also met poorer people that are uber competitive, and many rich people that are very laid back.

As for the people I have known from Scarsdale, if I can find a common thread, its that they all had a leg up coming from wealthy families. They get "that way" (million dollar houses, high income, etc) because their parents had a lot of money. If you are able to put a HUGE downpayment on a house because your family has money, and you have no debt or student loans, it doesn't take an outrageous salary to live a nice life in even the wealthiest of towns. I don't think I know one person from that town that truly made it on their own.

It matters not to me if a guy is extremely competitive or hard-nosed in a business deal or in the courtroom. If I am living next to him or otherwise associating with him in a sports or social activity, I just don't want him to be an a-----e to me, and my experiences with people from this town have been very, very good. Remember, my largest connection to this town is through various youth sports, and nowadays, everyone, everywhere, is very competitive and hard-nosed in youth sports. Scarsdale families exhibit these traits no more or less in this category than anywhere else.

In my particular town, which is well-to-do but on a much lower scale than Scarsdale, the handful of families that have real high end money (i.e., they can live in Scarsdale or anywhere else they want) are almost universally the coolest, nicest people in town. Maybe its a bad sample in that possibly they are the types that want to avoid wealthy towns, but nonetheless, the majority of my life experiences has taught me that people with money are just people with money. They are no more or less (fill in the blank) than anyone else.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:04 PM

6 posts, read 10,051 times
Thanks all! We are narrowing it down to Scarsdale or Eastchester now.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 PM

2,328 posts, read 5,044,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micascara View Post
You will get much more for you money in Eastchester because Scarsdale is the alleged #1 school district. I say alleged because this is to be expected when a shack costs $700,000.

Parents of Scarsdale kids probably have a higher level of college degrees and graduate degrees than any community in Westchester. So guess what? Scarsdale has high test scores. Well one would certainly hope so!

Eastchester (where I live) mostly ranges from lower-middle class to upper middle-class, with few poor people and some very wealthy people. I would call it a more "typical" community.

But the top Eastchester kids go to better schools than the bottom half of the Scarsdale kids. That's the way it is in most districts. If your kids were fortunate enough to have a high level of intelligence, and they are very motivated to succeed, they will thrive in almost every school district in Westchester.

I'm not here to knock Scarsdale. It is a beautiful community. But it is not the be all and end all. You decide if the premium for real estate is worth it.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 PM

263 posts, read 241,235 times
I just want to say that the commute from Ardsley is short in relative terms, and comparable or the same as to Pelham. Most folks that i know here in Ardsley commute out of Scarsdale. During peak hours the express train times to and from GCS are shorter than to Pelham.

To GCS 33 minutes from Scarsdale, 37 minutes from Pelham.

Back from GCS 29 min to Scarsdale, 31 minutes to Pelham.

I drive 10 minutes to Scardale, catch the train and Im in the office in less than an hour. If you think this is a bad commute and your budget is $700k, you are in for a lot of repairs in a small fixer.... Good luck!

Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 AM

21 posts, read 34,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micascara View Post
At the risk of complicating matters, I suggest checking out Hastings and Dobbs Ferry. Irvington, too, though you'll get less for your money there. All three villages have great schools and easy commutes. Plus you get to see the Hudson every day.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone. We narrowed it down to Eastchester or Edgewood. Pros and Cons to both please? Yes our budget is in the 700s but it has some wiggle room to the 800s depending on the taxes. Thanks for all
The feedback.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
You will get much more for you money in Eastchester because Scarsdale is the alleged #1 school district. I say alleged because this is to be expected when a shack costs $700,000.

Parents of Scarsdale kids probably have a higher level of college degrees and graduate degrees than any community in Westchester. So guess what? Scarsdale has high test scores. Well one would certainly hope so!

Eastchester (where I live) mostly ranges from lower-middle class to upper middle-class, with few poor people and some very wealthy people. I would call it a more "typical" community.

But the top Eastchester kids go to better schools than the bottom half of the Scarsdale kids. That's the way it is in most districts. If your kids were fortunate enough to have a high level of intelligence, and they are very motivated to succeed, they will thrive in almost every school district in Westchester.

I'm not here to knock Scarsdale. It is a beautiful community. But it is not the be all and end all. You decide if the premium for real estate is worth it.
Thank you Ruby. I believe you responded to my post in another thread. We actually have two possibilities right now in Eastchester. One in the area around trader joe and one near the Scarsdale train. Do you know which gives off a better neighborhood vibe? Or I can't go wrong either way? We are also considering Edgewood. Thanks!!

Old 05-14-2017, 03:49 PM

254 posts, read 131,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
I have met a fair number of people/families from Scarsdale in recent years. Every single one of them has been friendly, cheerful, selfless, self-deprecating, and accomadating of others. And yes, they have been "down to earth". Nearly all of these contacts have been through youth sports, so maybe this particular subset is different but I doubt it. My kids have been on sports teams with kids from Scarsdale - where kids from multiple towns get to play together and the Scarsdale families have been great. My kids have also played where the families were largely from a lower economic scale from a different part of the region and these families were largely unfriendly and dismissive of others, and decidedly not down to earth.

Maybe if you can cite some observed snooty and pretentious behavior on the part of someone from Scarsdale I may think differently, but my experiences have been decidedly different, and I think my sample size has been large enough to form an opinion.

I grew up in Eastchester and had many friends in Scarsdale. My observation is that the nicest, friendliest people in Scarsdale are the ones who hang out at places like the Scarsdale Pool, public parks, playgrounds, etc. The so-called 'snooty' ones are probably either at their private clubs or summer houses.

The earlier poster who said that Jews live in Scarsdale and Larchmont, Irish and Italian Catholics live in Eastchester and Pelham left out that Bronxville has a lot of WASPS, lol. It has been that way FOREVER and somehow has perpetuated itself over time. There are no lines drawn, though, and there is lots of crossover without any rancor or prejudice. Growing up with such diversity around me (excluding black and hispanics; back in the day there were none) taught me a lot. Nobody didn't like somebody else because they were 'other'. At least, that's how I remember it.

All those towns emphasis schools and community. You can't go wrong, if you can afford the price of admission.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:53 PM

254 posts, read 131,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lol, you make Scarsdale sound like a boy scout troop. According to USA Today Scarsdale is the richest town in America The 10 richest towns in America

You don't get that way by being a boy scout, you get that way by being ferociously hard-nosed and competitive. And I base my sample size on 50 years of living in and around Scarsdale.

Okay, one thing I remember about the Scarsdale kids IN GENERAL was that they pressured each other about going to the good colleges, studying hard and keeping up. It was a more competitive environment than I was used to but seemed to work for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County