Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 AM

77 posts, read 203,188 times

Advertisements

Can we get a 3 bed 2 bath house in westchester within a great school district (im thinking scarsdale is too expensive but correct me if im wrong). Would love some property but if not thats ok. Also, train ride to manhattan under 1 hour. Are taxes all above $10k?

Trying to decide on LI vs Westchester. Initially crossed Westchester off because everyone keeps saying its one of the highest taxed areas in the country but I know the schools are amazing so I want to revisit..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:50 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
That's asking a lot, but since you didn't mention square footage, you can probably find a small, pre-war era home/fixer upper with 3bd (or a condo) in that range. I think your options will open up if you look at condos, but you'll have to factor in monthly HOA fees.

I don't expect that you would find anything near that price range in Scarsdale. Try Hartsdale, Elmsford, White Plains, etc which may have more affordable options. Taxes will be above 10K, but for a 3bd home, plan your budget closer to 15-20k if you want a better school district.

Here's a good example of what you might find in your price range in lower Westchester - good towns but not sure your feelings on a pre-war era house:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...t/11_zm/0_mmm/

Here's an option in Harsdale - as you'll notice taxes are much lower but still > 10K:

Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM

77 posts, read 203,188 times
We arent looking for a mansion - 1500 sqft will do just fine. The one in Hartsdale is not bad with taxes that are doable, nice size property but I see the schools are bad (greatschools ratings 4-7)... is that not right?

The one in Hastings on the Hudson is not bad either.

Are these towns good for commute into Manhattan both by car and train? Is it under an hour, is there parkign at train station, etc?

Thanks much!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marycotter5678 View Post
We arent looking for a mansion - 1500 sqft will do just fine. The one in Hartsdale is not bad with taxes that are doable, nice size property but I see the schools are bad (greatschools ratings 4-7)... is that not right?

Are these towns good for commute into Manhattan both by car and train? Is it under an hour, is there parkign at train station, etc?

Thanks much!

Of the 3 towns, Hartsdale has the lowest ranked schools, which is what probably accounts for the large difference in taxes you observed. However, the town itself is very nice and walkable, the station is centrally located and you may get a nicer house for your money (and lower taxes). In this area, it's all about trade-offs between school ranking, taxes, price and location and finding the balance of each that works for your situation. If your primary concern is school ranking then out of the 3 Ardsley would be the highest-ranked, in a similar category with Scarsdale.

All 3 towns are good for commuting to Manhattan; though worthwhile to note that the Ardsley train station is located on the Hudson line, so you may have to drive a bit further since Ardsley itself is landlocked (or use Dobbs Ferry/Hastings station depending where the house is located). You can look into resident vs non-resident wait times at each station. I commute out of Dobbs Ferry, about 35 mins by train if you take the express. Hastings would shorten that commute by about 5 mins, and I believe Hartsdale (on the Harlem line) would be similar. Dobbs Ferry sells day parking passes for $5, not sure about the other 2 towns.

For all 3 towns if you wish to drive you can take several routes. For example, we used to commute down on the SMP/Hudson Parkway to Downtown which would take anywhere from 45 mins to 2+ hours, depending on weather, road conditions and traffic. Currently I prefer the train as driving is very volatile if you're trying to reach NYC at a certain time each day. If you want to keep you commute under 1hr by train, you'll want to draw a line across the county somewhere around Briarcliff Manor and adjust for train delays, etc. Above that and you'll be looking at more than an hour plus your door-to-door time.

I haven't spent much time in LI, but I love living in Westchester, it's really calm and I love getting away from the city each day as well as having all the trails/outdoor activities on my doorstep. We moved here from NJ and it's been a world of difference (for the better). Hope your search goes well!

Last edited by vladlensky; 06-02-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:

Thanks much!
Hartsdale is NOT a well-regarded school district.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:57 AM

175 posts, read 345,284 times
check out croton-on-hudson.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 AM

222 posts, read 540,571 times
There must be something with that house in Ardsley...a nice little tudor, in the 400s, not on a main street, in Ardsely? It's been on Zillow for 171 days.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:57 AM

62 posts, read 89,391 times
Hartsdale lower grade schools are fine. It's the high grades that are a concern, especially high school , which is a nightmare. However, the quality of life - cost of living is hard to beat. There are a couple of private schools that many Hartsdale parents use (and we will eventually) that are probably still cheaper than the additional taxes you would pay in other towns.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:45 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
There must be something with that house in Ardsley...a nice little tudor, in the 400s, not on a main street, in Ardsely? It's been on Zillow for 171 days.
Almost 20k in taxes..

Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Quote:
Can we get a 3 bed 2 bath house in westchester within a great school district (im thinking scarsdale is too expensive but correct me if im wrong). Would love some property but if not thats ok. Also, train ride to manhattan under 1 hour. Are taxes all above $10k?

Trying to decide on LI vs Westchester. Initially crossed Westchester off because everyone keeps saying its one of the highest taxed areas in the country but I know the schools are amazing so I want to revisit..
The short answer is no.. not really, and definitely not in a "great" school district by Westchester standards. In Scarsdale a 500k house (of which there are almost none) would have 15k minimum in taxes and more likely closer to 20k. What you're looking for might be possible in Northern Westchester, but you're going to be above an hour (check out Somers school district). What you describe is basically what everyone wants and you have to have a trade-off on something. Consider the condo route if schools are your #1 most important factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County