Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times

Advertisements

Agree to disagree, and move on with the original topic, please.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM

68 posts, read 273,458 times
I think DMA's comments are being taken far too literally, he is only making general distinctions to help someone who does not know Yorktown very well. If someone unfamiliar with Yorktown is just trying to figure out what area the house is in if your looking at Real estate ads, when it is listed as Yorktown, that usually means its Lakeland school district and probably somewhere in Shrub Oak, Jefferson Valley, Mohegan Lake. If its listed in Yorktown Heights, its probably in the southern end of town and the school district is Yorktown. There is no part of town that is actually called just Yorktown, that is the overall name for all of the hamlets put together so I can understand why that would be confusing to someone who is trying to understand the area if they are simply looking at real estate ads. So why do Real Estate ads lump together the other hamlets under Yorktown, and single out Yorktown Heights? I don't know, but I've wondered that myself. My guess its because of the perception that Yorktown heights is considered more desireable that the Northern end of town. Whether thats true or not depends on who you talk to. Many people in the northern end of town like where they live just fine. I grew up in Shrub Oak and have no complaints about growing up there, and know some people who have recently bought there first house there and love it. I also lived in the Southern end of town and loved it there too.

As far as flooding, while I don't recall seeing any major floods, but as in any town there are always going to be some properties that do have water issues. My sister in law's sister bought a house in Yorktown and had a few inches of water in her basement in the first month of moving in! So get a good real estate agent to help you avoid such problems.
The only sidewalks that I can think of are there are some in Shrub Oak by the library,in the main center of Yorktown Heights by the CVS/Friendlys/Starbucks area, and in Mohegan Lake on Route 6.

For traffic, Mohegan Lake gets hard hit at certain times of the day on Route 6 going down towards the Cortlandt town Center and also on 202 going towards Peekskill.

Somers schools is considered a little bit more desireable than Yorktowns School District, the taxes are lower as well in Somers, but you will find the house prices are higher, with some exceptions such as the Shenorock area.

Overall in my opinion Yorktown is very good choice to live in, while there is complaint about the taxes, there are some things I really miss that I have now moved from Yorktown Heights to Somers. I miss the bulk trash pickup that Yorktown does for its residents 4 times a year(they will pick up appliances other large items you can't throw out in normal trash) the Yorktown public pools are great, and they have a lot of Recreation activities they put toghether, you get a booklet seasonally. It includes things such as gym classes, art classes, dog obiendience classes and things for kids etc. Also I'd say if you find a house you like with access to sewers thats a big plus as well. (Not all of Yorktown has access to them).

Hope this helps, good luck!

Last edited by baby1nov; 02-29-2008 at 09:06 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 62,691 times
can you fill me in on areas that are jewish - I am jewish and would like a neighborhood(hamlet) in Yorktown that has a jewish population.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Any Hamlets That Have A Jewish Community

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP - MY HUSBAND WANT TO LOOK AT A HOUSE IN SHRUB OAK - DO THEY HAVE A TOWN POOL,COMMUNITY CENTER, ETC. wHERE IS THE NEAREST SHOPPING CENTER (NOT MALL)? aRE THERE FAIRLY YOUNG COUPLES THERE WITH SMALL CHILDREN - HOW DO THE SCHOOLS RATE.. IS THERE A JEWISH COMMUNITY THERE?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM

Default yorktown heights - do they have a town pool?

Here in mt. pleasant we have a community center, library and town pool all in the same area (it's great) does yorktown heights have all that? Do i need to go to different hamlets for each thing, library in shrub oak, community center in the heights, etc. Where are the 2 new town pools I have been reading about on these threads? Where is the main shopping center with supermarket in the heights? How close are the schools to the shopping center, library, etc.

thanks for all your help!!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,375 times
can someone tell me what are the elementary schools that support Yorktown or Yourktown Heights - i am not concerned with names, just considering a move and need to get the lay of the land.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
ellengail--
Yorktown Central School District has two primary schools (grades K-2) and 2 Elementary schools (grades 3-5). It is one of the only districts in the area that has separate primary schools. We really love that since the school is quite small and the entire faculty and administration is really focussed on how younger kids learn. Also, since the oldest kids are second graders, the school bus is much mellower and the whole experience is a lot easier for the Kindergarten kids. We've been thrilled with the teachers and administration at French Hill (one of the primary schools), and I have nothing but praise for the school.

The only negative I can think of is that kindergarten is half-day. (Voters keep rejecting the proposals for full-day!) There is an Enrichment program in the school building, which you need to pay for. But that keeps the kids in school for the full day. In our experience it worked out well--our son had a half-day of school and then a half-day of art, science, and more relaxed play.

Bklyngirl--
Since it is so huge, Yorktown has made a concerted effort to spread the amenities around the town. One town pool is in Shrub Oak, the other is in Yorktown Heights. There is also Sparkle Lake, which is in Granite Springs. The library is in Shrub Oak, near the pool. The Community Center is in Yorktown Heights, near the other pool. Shopping is easy to find all over. Yorktown Heights has Turcos gourmet supermarket, Super A&P, and Food Emporium (plus a lot of smaller stores). I don't know the names, but there are definitely supermarkets and other stores in Shrub Oak and other areas. There are also multiple parks, playgrounds, ball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, running tracks, biking paths, hiking trails, and other such amenities--some in Shrub Oak, some in Yorktown Heights, and others scattered all over town.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 50,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNGIRL View Post
What is the difference? I see alot of houses for sale for reasonable prices why is it so affordable to live here? Do they make up for it with the taxes?

Is 1 side of the Taconic better or newer than the other? Where are flooding areas? Do they have sidewalks? Are there areas to avoid due to major traffic? Are there areas that have an older community vs. a younger one?
Any information would be helpful. How is Somers? I see aot of different school districts - is 1 better that another?

Live in Town of Mount Pleasant now, enjoy it but getting a little pricey and busy. Became a very popular area within last 5 years, alot of new construction going up along with taxes.

Please someone respond and help me choosed my future residence. Thanks!!
taxes are very high

Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 50,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellengail View Post
can someone tell me what are the elementary schools that support Yorktown or Yourktown Heights - i am not concerned with names, just considering a move and need to get the lay of the land.
Brookside, Mohansic, French Hill, Yorktown school are good.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:36 PM

32 posts, read 126,472 times
Default preschools

I'm visiting Yorktown preschools in the next few days and was wondering if anyone has feedback on some of these. looking for 5 day/week. thanks so much

Bright Beginnings Preschool Learning Center
Montessori Pre-Nursery, Nursery & Elementary School
Open Day Preschool, Baldwin Road, 245-1009.
Pied Piper School
The Seed Day Care Center
Yorktown Community Nursery School
Yorktown Presbyterian Preschool
Wiggles N Giggles
Strawberry Early Childhood Development Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County