U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 08:21 PM

29 posts, read 36,407 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your responses. Why is living north of 287 an issue in winter. Is it because they don't clear the snow immediately or something else. I read about Ossining. But I keep hearing from my neighbors here who lived in westchester that Ossining while having a good science program is also known for some ghetto areas. So kids get exposed to troubled kids too in school. i don't know if I can expressing well but i am concerned about what if my kids fall into wrong company. Any thoughts or inputs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:12 AM

217 posts, read 402,361 times
The only neighborhood I can think of with a sizable asian population in westchester is Edgemont.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM

740 posts, read 449,032 times
The combination of high-ranking schools + reasonably priced homes is a difficult balance to strike in Westchester. We moved here from Hudson County, NJ last year, albeit with different criteria but my spouse is south asian, so also wanted to have at least a small presence in the area.

So far, what we have found, having lived here for almost a year is that there are a surprising number of south asian people in the area, albeit unlike New Jersey many have been living here for many years and tend to have children more in the High School age range as opposed to elementary, as was the case with younger families in NJ.

So far, from what we can tell, we have a good demographic here in Dobbs Ferry as well as in neighboring Ardsley. The more concentrated south asian demographic can be found in Elmsford where this is a cultural center, grocery store, restaurants etc as well as in the more densly populated Yonkers and White Plains (I would suggest avoiding Yonkers due to crime). Some basic googling will turn up most of this. I can't speak to schools as we don't have children, but people speak highly of Ardsley, Irvington and Scarsdale; although your home prices will directly reflect this reputation. Towns like Dobbs, Hastings, Tarrytown etc may strike a more reasonable balance between home prices and school reputation. If commute time is less of a factor then you may have a lot more options at your disposal the further North you travel (e.g. Croton, etc).

Disclaimer: I am far more famliar with the Rivertowns (western to Northern Westchester) than the more Easternly-situated towns. There may be some posters here that can direct you to some good options towards the East as well.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:59 AM

666 posts, read 513,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Why is living north of 287 an issue in winter. Is it because they don't clear the snow immediately or something else. I read about Ossining. But I keep hearing from my neighbors here who lived in westchester that Ossining while having a good science program is also known for some ghetto areas. So kids get exposed to troubled kids too in school. i don't know if I can expressing well but i am concerned about what if my kids fall into wrong company. Any thoughts or inputs.
They simply get more of it above 287 farther from the sound (the weathermen always refer to "above" and "below" 287 snowfall totals). If you can afford Edgemont or Rye Brook (Blind Brook) I would not even consider Ossining, despite it's reputation for science. The river towns are also a good recommendation and more adorable than Edgemont/Rye Brook.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:26 AM

115 posts, read 138,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
They simply get more of it above 287 farther from the sound (the weathermen always refer to "above" and "below" 287 snowfall totals). If you can afford Edgemont or Rye Brook (Blind Brook) I would not even consider Ossining, despite it's reputation for science. The river towns are also a good recommendation and more adorable than Edgemont/Rye Brook.
The snow difference is something that is talked about a lot but really does not exist to the extent people think it does. Sometimes southern westchester even gets more snow. The main difference in snowfall stems from elevation. Ossining and Rye are pretty close in snowfall, but Bedford will get a bit more than either. Still, the difference is small enough that it should almost not be a consideration. Just cause a couple times a year you'll get 8 inches instead of 7 inches of snow does not mean you shouldn't move somewhere.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 AM

82 posts, read 59,208 times
Rye Brook or Edgemont
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or