U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:55 AM

29 posts, read 36,439 times

Advertisements

My husband works in WP and we live in a really nice town in Bergen County. However, we are now looking for towns in Westchester County. Our criteria is -

1. Diverse town with some asian indian presence.
2 Down to earth residents. We do not come under the rich category and will love to live around folks that are middle class.
2. Good focus on academics
3. Very strong science program
4. Very good summer camp options that focus on specific skills and not a general camp.

I see that some towns in westchester have a strong science research program in high school. We would love to live in town like that where our children see and interact with a lot of other kids that have a keen interest in science. We would love for the schools to compete in science and math tournaments starting from elementary school so the kids can see what is out there. Also, I would like acceleration options available to kids in math in elementary school if the kid already knows the grade level math. I dont know if this is all a lot to expect from a town.

We currently live in a good school district in Bergen County. But there is hardly any differentiated instructions in school and I dont see much focus on science in middle or high schools. We would like to make an informed decision this time when we make a move. Our budget can go upto 800K but would like to keep it lower if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM

645 posts, read 481,022 times
Rye Brook, NY has most of what you're looking for.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:20 AM

195 posts, read 190,742 times
Rye Brook schools have an excellent reputation, but there is a very limited housing stock and just a small fraction of those sell for under 800k - usually houses that back onto Hutch.

I'd say to also consider Harrison, Ardsley and even White Plains itself

Old 07-14-2016, 12:54 PM

Thank you both for your responses. Is Rye Brook a diverse town. When I check the high school stats, I see that it has about 4% asian enrollment.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:12 PM

How is the edgemont school district. I saw a lot of diversity in the elementary schools.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 6,606 times
Edgemont has many students of east and south Asian descent - probably about 50%.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM

195 posts, read 190,742 times
Edgemont is a wonderful school district but you'll have the same problem - very few houses will be on the market in your price range.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 AM

666 posts, read 514,238 times
Would definitely second Rye Brook (Blind Brook school district). Not at all a "diverse" town overall, but the school attracts a good mix of Asian students. Edgemont might almost be too much Asian diversity to be honest, to the point where it's homogenous.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:04 PM

79 posts, read 241,179 times
I hear Ossining has a very strong science program. I don't know about the Asian/Indian presence (may or may not be), but it's a good location for a commute to WP and seems to hit the other marks.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:03 PM

139 posts, read 221,284 times
Ossining diversity comes mainly from a large Hispanic culture. But when she said "science" I immediately thought of Ossining as well. Asians are around 4 percent if you google the demographics of the area.

Something else to consider if you work in White Plains, living above 287 can be an issue (in fact is IS an issue) during winter months. Not being on a train line, it's something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or