Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 AM

156 posts, read 304,982 times

Advertisements

I have a 91 year old father who is getting pretty frail. He moves slowly with a cane and is clinically deaf and has a hand that doesn't function for him anymore. Having said all this, I'd like to take him out for a jaunt---maybe for an hour or two, to give him a change of scenery, instead of just going there or having him come to me.

Mom doesn't drive and he's pretty much a captive in the house now. I'd like to give my mom a bit of a break from things as well.

Like many older people, he's not interested in eating a whole lot, so a restaurant is out.
The movies are out because he can't hear.

I live in Northern Westchester and he's with my mom in Yonkers. I was thinking maybe the park or an area near water that wouldn't entail a long walk to a pleasant spot. I'm at FDR park alot and thought of that, but then there's the issue of a restroom.( I'm a daughter, not a son,). He's an artist, so maybe a place where he can sketch would be ideal?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM

195 posts, read 297,192 times
How about going to the Kensico Dam or Untermyer Park? ( I think they call it Unteryer Gardens now)
Pretty and scenic and some good fresh air!
I'd say the Bronx Zoo or the Botanical Gardens, but both of those usually require a fair amount of walking

Old 07-29-2016, 09:20 AM

87 posts, read 228,635 times
Croton Point Park comes to mind for some easily accessible spots to sit and watch the river go by.

For an artist, maybe Katonah Museum? Some walking involved, but you could do a bit and then rest in the sculpture garden?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,594 times
On August 6, there is a plein air paint out and auction at Ossining's Shattemuc Yacht Club. If he's interested in art, might be fun for him to watch the artists paint on the Hudson: Plein Air 2016 Paint Out Coming up August 6th. | Shattemuc Yacht Club

From there, as WardEq suggested, there's Croton Point Park, as well as Ossining's waterfront (which has a restroom and plenty of places to sit and enjoy the river)

Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 AM

156 posts, read 304,982 times
Wow! So lovely to get these varied and great ideas. Much appreciated!!!

ANM1982---I'm working the day of the art show darnit. I'm going to see if my sister could get him to that. He would just love it.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Boscobel manor off route 9D in Putnam is a great place with amazing views of the Hudson valley that has inspired many artists and it requires little walking.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:35 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
Wave Hill in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. It's beautiful with lots of benches and bathrooms and a little cafeteria. Parking is tight, go on a weekday

https://www.wavehill.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County