Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 3,765 times

Advertisements

I own a home in the Chester Heights section of Mount Vernon and my daughter will be entering Kindergarten in the MVSD in September. So far I have only found terrible things about her assigned school and am hoping (maybe naively) that I'll be pleasantly surprised in September. I'm wondering if anyone on here has (recent) experience with either Traphagen or Pennington and whether one is recommended over the other. Private Schools? Charters? For some background we ended up in Mt. Vernon after an exhaustive several months long house hunt we were at our wits end and probably not as rigid about the school as we should have been. I know the bond recently passed and that there may be some improvements but that is probably a few years away still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 01:39 PM

195 posts, read 297,142 times
There's a Westchester Moms group on Facebook that may have information for you on specific schools. I've heard only bad things but I don't have any first hand experience, so it's all just talk and may not be accurate. I wish you luck!!

Old 08-10-2016, 01:44 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,416 times
You can home school, pay for a private school or sell the house. These are your options. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:52 PM

Thank you jaymtea! I'm a member of the Bronx and Westchester Mom's group on FB and already asked there but had no bites! I joined on here to cast a wider net and am hoping to have better luck - Thanks for the well wishes

Old 08-10-2016, 04:32 PM

195 posts, read 297,142 times
There's a Bronx Westchester Moms but there's also a Westchester Moms - you can always try there.....here's the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WestchesterNYMoms/

Old 08-11-2016, 08:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,953 times
See if you can tuition into another nearby district or private will be your only good solution.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:11 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
My knowledge is ancient, but both Pennington and Traphagen were considered fine. I went to Pennington as a child and have cherished memories. It is a beautiful little campus and building, and the neighborhood is safe and very pleasant.

I think even in this day and age, Pennington should be just fine, but I would strongly consider looking into an alternative after elementary school which gives you a few years.

If you are Catholic, there are plenty of options, and if you have the money for a private school you have options up the wazoo. There were a couple of kids in my Fleetwood neighborhood whose parents shelled out the big bucks to send their children to Bronxville School, but unless you simply want your child to be able to walk to school, I would look into a private school over that option since there are many interesting schools in Westchester for the same or even less money, so I have heard.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:55 PM

454 posts, read 763,522 times
Pennington has always been considered a good school.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:15 PM

65 posts, read 77,791 times
I've just recently moved from the lower Westchester area. I also lived in an area without great schools so chose a pre K-8 Catholic school. We had many families from Chester Heights. Some chose to start school at the preK/kindergarten levels, but we also had a large influx at the start of the middle school level. Immaculate Conception School in Tuckahoe. It is only a few minute drive from Chester Heights. Great school community open to all faith traditions ... Christian or not. They have always been open to late summer/early fall admissions as well if you are looking for a change right away and are more than willing to give you a tour and answer questions.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Thank you for the feedback! Pennington does seem to have a better activities schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County