U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,134 times

Advertisements

Hey

My wife and I are looking to move to Westchester from the city. We're jewish so we want a town with a decent jewish population. We want to be able to walk to the downtown area. We're looking for an affluent community but not too snobby and to be able to buy a nice home for 1mill or less. Still want the commute to be an hour or less and lastly we want a very safe town and a very good school system.

I understand this is a lot, just trying to find the best fit. Thanks so much!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 04:56 AM

195 posts, read 191,303 times
I'd start by looking at Scarsdale, Larchmont, Rye Brook, Bronxville, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington.
"Nice home" means a lot of different things to different people, but these are all nice areas with good schools - see how far your money will take you in each and go from there.....

Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 AM

27 posts, read 31,805 times
Based upon your wish list, Larchmont sounds perfect (albeit expensive). Wont get much for $1M, but it has a decent Jewish population (including a few synagogues), walkable downtown, quick commute to NYC (35 minutes or so on the train), and a very good school system. We have been here for about a year and really enjoy it. It is also a great community for children.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:06 PM

105 posts, read 104,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdack2002 View Post
Hey

My wife and I are looking to move to Westchester from the city. We're jewish so we want a town with a decent jewish population. We want to be able to walk to the downtown area. We're looking for an affluent community but not too snobby and to be able to buy a nice home for 1mill or less. Still want the commute to be an hour or less and lastly we want a very safe town and a very good school system.

I understand this is a lot, just trying to find the best fit. Thanks so much!!!
Come to Chappaqua. It's got a decent Jewish community, the school system is excellent (for now,) and you can actually buy lots of homes for less than 1MM that you can walk to the center of town from.

And it's safe: I sleep with the windows open sometimes. I've left my Q7's doors open a multitude of times and I still have it. Come to think of it, nothing's happened in Chappaqua since the 80s (when the whole downtown area was flooded).

Old 08-31-2016, 12:05 PM

669 posts, read 517,064 times
Would suggest Rye Brook based on your criteria followed by Chappaqua. Neither has much of a downtown, however you are close enough to either Rye & Greenwich (CT) or Pleasantville/Mt Kisco respectively. Scarsdale would also be a good fit with a nice downtown but $1M gets you very little so you might want to consider the trade-off. Armonk also a good fit but again, very little at $1m and under.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:13 PM

263 posts, read 241,460 times
Ardsley meets your criteria. Jewish folks galore, great school -ask Zuckerberg-; where i live i can walk downtown... Althpugh be warned downtown here is not pretty or bucolic, but ithas everything you need... Houses under 1 million... Depends on which house.

Also, full disclosure, there is no local train station, so i have to drive 10 min. To Scarsdale, but parking there has no waitlist (for a fee) and train ride is 29-33 minutes for a total 55 min commute if you work in midtown. I think Ardsley qualifies as affluent but people are down to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or