U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 04:15 PM

11 posts, read 15,936 times

Advertisements

We recently started our search in Westchester. We still have 6 months left in our current lease (we have been in Astoria for the last 3 years). We are looking for:

- 600-700k budget.
- Good schools (have a 2 year old). On this topic I am having trouble specifically as some say GreatSchools rating means nothing. What else can I look at?
- Commute to GCT 1 hour at most (my work is about 3 minutes walk from GCT). Preferably walk/bike to station.
- We prefer townhouses/condos (not co-ops or apartments) as we do not really want to deal with outside maintenance and will feel better if we actually see other when we step out.
- 3+ bedrooms but don't really need anything big 1500-1700sqft will be more than enough.
- Recently built/renovated.
- Having a grocery accessible by walking would be nice. Same for a fitness center with some classes.

We took a look at Half Moon Bay community last Sunday. It seems to hit all the point above though the houses we looked at left some details out (like having to walk upstairs to actually get into the house). Is there anyone with knowledge about this particular community? How much should we be expecting to cover electiricty/water/gas? Comments about Croton-On-Hudson is welcome as well.

Irvington seems to be more expensive and less space for the same price. We will actually go for an open house this weekend but on the other hand it looks like more frequent trains, faster travel to GCT, better schools (how much better is one question I have of course).

As far as I can tell if you want a more urban setting Irvington is a better choice but if you want nature/walk along Hudson etc Croton seems to be better. There is a NYSC close to HMB which offers classes which is pretty cheap considering it is only 30/month and they also provide child care while you are working out. Other than this I don't really have much else to compare them so your comments are welcome on this matter as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by averwind; 09-29-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 05:53 AM

678 posts, read 664,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averwind View Post
We recently started our search in Westchester. We still have 6 months left in our current lease (we have been in Astoria for the last 3 years). We are looking for:

- 600-700k budget.
- Good schools (have a 2 year old). On this topic I am having trouble specifically as some say GreatSchools rating means nothing. What else can I look at?
- Commute to GCT 1 hour at most (my work is about 3 minutes walk from GCT). Preferably walk/bike to station.
- We prefer townhouses/condos (not co-ops or apartments) as we do not really want to deal with outside maintenance and will feel better if we actually see other when we step out.
- 3+ bedrooms but don't really need anything big 1500-1700sqft will be more than enough.
- Recently built/renovated.
- Having a grocery accessible by walking would be nice. Same for a fitness center with some classes.

We took a look at Half Moon Bay community last Sunday. It seems to hit all the point above though the houses we looked at left some details out (like having to walk upstairs to actually get into the house). Is there anyone with knowledge about this particular community? How much should we be expecting to cover electiricty/water/gas? Comments about Croton-On-Hudson is welcome as well.

Irvington seems to be more expensive and less space for the same price. We will actually go for an open house this weekend but on the other hand it looks like more frequent trains, faster travel to GCT, better schools (how much better is one question I have of course).

As far as I can tell if you want a more urban setting Irvington is a better choice but if you want nature/walk along Hudson etc Croton seems to be better. There is a NYSC close to HMB which offers classes which is pretty cheap considering it is only 30/month and they also provide child care while you are working out. Other than this I don't really have much else to compare them so your comments are welcome on this matter as well.

Thanks!
You should be okay in that budget. As for schools, other than a few exceptions, you will not find bad schools in westchester and the areas you are looking are both fine. Looking at ratings for anything is total nonsense to me. If a school is constantly rated well, its a good school. Is it really no 8 this year and number 12 that year, of course not. Bot those magazines and sites need to sell adverts, so the ratings have to be different each year. Croton and Irvington are both well thought of.

Irvington obviously is much closer to the city, but that results in smaller lot sizes and a far more suburban feel. Croton, outside the main strip, has larger lots and much more of a rural feel. If you are looking for a townhouse though, that will not matter. Irvington will be harder to find a place to bike to a station, but good luck.

I live a little north of croton and we eat there regularly. Its a great place with some nice small businesses. I don't know much about Half Moon Bay Irvington is certainly more expensive and with a $700k budget, you will be in one of the cheaper houses in town. But there are houses in that range. It is a shorter train ride, but it is not more frequent trains. No where in westchester has as many train options as Croton since it is the last stop on the southbound express trains in the am and the first stop on the semi express trains heading south. Croton is great for train options, but the express trains are about 45 - 50 minutes to the city.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I actually haven't paid attention to Tarrytown but today our agent sent a nice house for consideration. It looks like the high school/ middle school is not up-to-par. Plus as far as I can see the diversity mostly comes from Hispanic families (we are not). I am about to dismiss it solely based on schools and not-so-diverse on the paper observation.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:59 PM

273 posts, read 434,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averwind View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I actually haven't paid attention to Tarrytown but today our agent sent a nice house for consideration. It looks like the high school/ middle school is not up-to-par. Plus as far as I can see the diversity mostly comes from Hispanic families (we are not). I am about to dismiss it solely based on schools and not-so-diverse on the paper observation.
Have you looked at this report on schools.

Best High Schools in the US | Top US High Schools | US News

Old 10-02-2016, 08:35 AM

187 posts, read 335,975 times
You didn't mention if being on the water is a requirement. If it is - then stick with the Irvington/Croton choices you originally mentioned. Personally, although I LOVE Irvington, I would choose Half Moon Bay over it. The Croton station is a major hub with a variety of trains/parking always. The Croton Point park is also larger with more to offer. Parking for guests at either of the locations you mentioned would be miserable, so if you have friends/family visiting from the city Croton would give you more and easier options.... Irvington is tight for station parking

If you get of the Hudson line, and look at towns off of the Harlem line, you will have even more options....

Old 10-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Have you looked at this report on schools.

Best High Schools in the US | Top US High Schools | US News
Thanks, I believe that's where I saw what the majority in the school is. Saw a past post mentioning the scores are low because most are ESL students driving the scores down.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
You didn't mention if being on the water is a requirement. If it is - then stick with the Irvington/Croton choices you originally mentioned. Personally, although I LOVE Irvington, I would choose Half Moon Bay over it. The Croton station is a major hub with a variety of trains/parking always. The Croton Point park is also larger with more to offer. Parking for guests at either of the locations you mentioned would be miserable, so if you have friends/family visiting from the city Croton would give you more and easier options.... Irvington is tight for station parking

If you get of the Hudson line, and look at towns off of the Harlem line, you will have even more options....
No requirement for being next Hudson. I took a look at Larchmont/Mamaroneck but didn't really see anything in our budget. Chappaqua and the rest on that line seems to be so as well. But you are right I should just set the filter to get alerted in case something pops up.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Well looks like there are some houses in Pleasantville as well that might fit our criteria. But no school bus definitely will be a problem.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 AM

740 posts, read 450,586 times
It sounds like you'll get a lot better home for your money in Croton than Irvington. That said, Irvington is very nice and you have the Croton/Aquaduct trail that cuts through most of the lower river towns (I think with plans to connect everything through to Tarrytown at some point) so plenty of opportunity for nature walks, etc.

That said, we spend a lot of weekends up near Bear Mountain, Peekskill etc, which has a lot of hiking/camping/outdoor resources and will be a lot closer and more accessible if you choose to live in croton or nearby cortlandt. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or