U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 07:56 PM

20 posts, read 15,411 times

Advertisements

Dobbs Ferry and Chappaqua have a full inclusion model meaning that all students with IEPs are in mainstream classrooms.

Rye where my son has recieved amazing support. He was given a full time onene aide with significant experience. He is fully integrated and doing exceptionally well. classes are small, the teachers excellent and caring

we ended up moving from Boston to Rye with my son with highly functioning autism. They gave him a 1:1 aide support in mainstream class and he has done well academically, in fact that has been their primary focus. In terms of social skills he has had zero support and is a disaster, perhaps even regressing to withdrawing from other children.

Ardsley (where my son with PDD-NOS) goes has loads of supports and does a great job with behavioral and emotional support. I'd think that if you insist you can keep him out of the self-contained room. My son is doing their emotional support program next year for 1st grade, where he checks in the first 10 min of the day with thespecial ed teacher and goes over behavioral goals for the day and then goes off to the mainstream room with the support of behavior-trained aide and then only checks back in at the end of the day to see how he's doing with the behavior stuff. I think it's a great fit for him as he has no cognitive stuff just behavior/social stuff. I think Briarcliff Manor and White Plains also has this ESP.

You have to fight no matter where you are to make sure your kids is getting what he/she needs but we're been pretty happy with Ardsley so far. They seem very concerned about all the children social/emotional development and ready and willing to offer whatever services your child might need.

MY SON is fully mainstreamed with 1:1 aide support. I don't want is him to be pulled out into a separate class for even 50% of the day (talking to Mamaroneck that is what they are recommending)

We've been in Blind Brook and generally it's been good. This year we have our son out of district in Eastchester in order to access work-study and some other programs that should help.

I live in Yonkers and they are the worst.

Mamoreneck/larchmont CPSE chair will not give a child a special education integrated program and a SEIT (aid) support at the same time as you have now. It's either the special education program OR a mainstream setting with an aid. The other is that she will not give you more than 10 hours of SEIT time. If your child needs more than this, then she will recommend a full or half day special education program.

I have a friend in mamaroneck who had to go out of district for her child last year but is now in district again. she had the child bused, which is good, especially since it was farther away.

I have friends in Scarsdale and Edgemont who attend 1/2 day self contained class and then 1/2 day mainstream with SEIT time. n terms of special education in kindergarten, the district highly favors putting children in the mainstream setting when possible. I hear the kindergarten self-contained program is not as great as other districts (particularly Eastchester & Ardsley which I hear are amazing)

My son has Dyslexia and ADHD. We are in the Byram Hills (Armonk) School district and I cannot say enough good things about thespecial ed and support at the school. They have been super supportive and kind through all. He is in a main stream class with pull out for language arts.

I live in Irvington. Irvington and Hastings combine a lot of the special ed services, so all the special ed classes for smaller kids are in Hastings, and the older kids are in Irvington, for both school districts. He only had 4 kids last year because that was all the kids who needed the class, next year it will be 7. He spends 1-2 hours every day in a typical class as well.

Bronxville and Eastchester both have excellent services for kids on the spectrum. I know someone who has a child in Eastchester and she said he has done so well socially.

I would also add that Dobbs Ferry schools are 100% integrated i.e. they have no self-contained classrooms and the whole school has gone through lots of support for inclusion etc. Most people I've talked to are very happy with the services they've gotten from the district. Chappaqua has the same philosophy but is pretty expensive so probably not what you are looking for.

I came to Pleasantville from NYC a year ago. Initially I was very happy with the program designed for him, but then things fell apart. I moved specifically for a quality inclusion program for my son, and was given misinformation that P really pushed inclusion. But I recently had an advocate look over his IEP and learned that he was in a self contained classroom, the DI model. P does provide opportunity for spending time with mainstream kids, but only for socialization purposes. All academics are separated out in a DI setting.

We moved to Pleasantville a few years ago based on its reputation. Sadly, they are cutting costs so much that they programs are really lacking. They are so concerned about attracting out of district placements as income, they spread themselves too thin.

I used to recommend Pleasantville but they are really changing their programs and everything is changing in terms of special ed.

Scarsdale sends anyone with more than high-functioning autism/aspergers out of district. (I used to work with their students at an out of district placement.) Especially at the high school level they are not equipped for, nor do they want to deal with, students with more severe disabilities.

Scarsdale and Edgemont does not have dedicated class for ASD kids and they usually send the kids out. Eastchester and Ardsley has 2 classes each. Ardsley also houses Southern BOCES' special needs class. New Rochelle has a dedicated private school, forgot the name but the competition is as fierce as Yale and its all lottery if you get in there. I found someone whose sister used to work in Ardsley and she mentioned that there are so many special needs kids now that the ratio of Special needs to NT kids is rather skewed in Ardsley. It doesn't affect you directly if your kid is low functioning, but if its high functioning, then it 'could' affect.

We love the Briarcliff Schools. We've recently started a Special Ed community as part of the PTA.

we're closing on our house in Briarcliff next week. And the Briarcliff schools are the biggest reason. We love them so far, and the middle school guidance counselor and special ed director have been nothing short of heroes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or