Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,983 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We just got word this morning that my husbands work will be relocating him from Dallas to Westchester County (Pepsico in Purchase) in the coming weeks. We have 2 small children, a baby and a toddler. I just wrapped up a PhD this month and will be working from home for the foreseeable future, but would like to be in decent proximity to the train for future job opportunities in the city.

I would love some thoughts on the best parts to look into, here is some more of what we are looking for:

~30 min commute
-Small home, under 2k sq ft.
-Under 600k
-Wooded, around 1 acre lot ideally
-Close to excellent preschools (Montessori preferred)
-Educated but progressive community, leaning more left.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 01:18 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Under 600K seems like a very modest budget for a 1-acre property with a 30-min commute to Purchase. Maybe check out Harrison (smaller lots), or North Stamford (farther commute). How important are the public schools to you?

Old 12-05-2016, 01:58 PM

Public schools are not a large concern of ours.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:23 AM

396 posts, read 435,176 times
You will have to go to Northern Westchester. Maybe Mount Kisco, Croton, parts of Bedford. If you would consider a much smaller fixer upper house, with a tiny lot...but you will gain great walking villages with quick commutes to the city... consider Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Tarrytown, (all progressive, left)...maybe you could also check out White Plains (some great neighborhoods). You could also (as mentioned above)...consider North Stamford, CT.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:49 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Seems if you just chose a good school district, of which there are a huge number in Westchester, you'd have more $ to pay for property instead of paying private school fees (which frankly aren't necessary). Just a suggestion.
Plus mortgage interest is at least deductible whereas private school fees are not...

Old 12-07-2016, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the input. We are fine with heading to North Westchester or the Rivertowns. What are the residential parts of White Plains like?

Old 12-08-2016, 02:45 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
If you want an acre, forget about White Plains and forget about the Rivertowns.

Just head north on 684. The further you go, the cheaper it gets. There are plenty of deals in South Salem, which is in the Katonah-Lewisboro School District. You feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, but are actually in the suburbs (distant) of NYC. For 600K you will find something good. Beautiful area.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:02 PM

156 posts, read 304,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If you want an acre, forget about White Plains and forget about the Rivertowns.

Just head north on 684. The further you go, the cheaper it gets. There are plenty of deals in South Salem, which is in the Katonah-Lewisboro School District. You feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, but are actually in the suburbs (distant) of NYC. For 600K you will find something good. Beautiful area.

This is good advice with one important bugaboo. The OP wants a 30 minute train ride into Grand Central and Katonah is twice that. But honestly, I don't think it's really doable to get everything you are asking for, but I wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulfurDog View Post
[/i]

This is good advice with one important bugaboo. The OP wants a 30 minute train ride into Grand Central and Katonah is twice that. But honestly, I don't think it's really doable to get everything you are asking for, but I wish you the best of luck.
No, she wants 30 minutes to Purchase, not Manhattan. That's why South Salem works.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:53 AM

156 posts, read 304,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
No, she wants 30 minutes to Purchase, not Manhattan. That's why South Salem works.
apologies for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County