U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 AM

273 posts, read 433,412 times

Advertisements

Check out houses in "the farms" section of Bedford. Its an area that walkable, and adjoins a town park. Plus you can walk into the town center as well. There are at least 2-3 houses currently for sale in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 11:44 AM

1,516 posts, read 954,770 times
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately Katonah is a bit too far from my office, and is in the wrong direction for my wife to get to White Plains, where she plans to frequent due to Russian language courses offered there for the kids.

I've noticed a pocket of homes in Rye Brook that are within our budget and while they don't have sidewalks, they are considerably less wooded and one is walking distance to a park. I've put in a call to the realtor. I initially mentioned Rye Brook when we started looking and she said "you can't afford Rye Brook"; I'm doubting that statement now since our budget is up to $1m and I see a few on the market listed for under that amount.

It seems Rye Brook would tick off many boxes- closer to White Plains, 10-13 minutes to my office, not wooded, some areas seem like you could walk around at least to a local park. Schools are equally as good as Byram Hills, at least according to the statistics.

All this being said, if something popped up near downtown Armonk this week, we'd snap it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1973 View Post
Check out houses in "the farms" section of Bedford. Its an area that walkable, and adjoins a town park. Plus you can walk into the town center as well. There are at least 2-3 houses currently for sale in that area.
That's a nice tip. I just checked it out and see that it's only 10-12 mins to my office. I wouldn't have thought that this area would be walkable from seeing it on the map so this is great intel. I'll dig in on this area too.

Last edited by NYCresident2014; 02-20-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 AM

3,405 posts, read 1,317,501 times
Hello, if you are looking for more walkability why are you looking in northern Westchester? You need to be looking in towns in Southern Westchester if you want walkability and sidewalks. Rye Brook is a choice however it does not really have a "town".. check out Larchmont, Mamaroneck, parts of Harrison, White Plains for some options.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM

666 posts, read 513,037 times
Westchester has some of the most charming and walkable towns in the country, unfortunately you're looking in northern towns that are more rural and your budget/criteria doesn't allow you to either get into the more walkable southern towns, or be near the downtowns themselves. Rye Brook is great but the Rye Ridge shopping center serves as the "downtown;" you will find yourself going to Rye or Greenwich CT for more walkability. I would also search out more in Pleasantville as it has a nice little town, and again Katonah as it really isn't far from White Plains or Chappaqua. Check out Stamford as well for Russian language classes as that could open you up to Bedford/Pound Ridge and some other CT towns like New Canaan or Ridgefield (both of which have excellent towns), but then your commute would be farther. Ridgefield I know has some HOA type communities.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:45 PM

1,516 posts, read 954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Hello, if you are looking for more walkability why are you looking in northern Westchester? You need to be looking in towns in Southern Westchester if you want walkability and sidewalks. Rye Brook is a choice however it does not really have a "town".. check out Larchmont, Mamaroneck, parts of Harrison, White Plains for some options.
Southern Westchester is too far from where my office will be, and it also seems like most of southern Westchester schools aren't great. I would love to be in White Plains- we see some beautiful homes in the northern and southern tips of White Plains, but their schools have miserable ratings compared to Byram Hills, Blind Brook, and Pleasantville. The taxes are much lower but still not enough lower to pay for private school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Westchester has some of the most charming and walkable towns in the country, unfortunately you're looking in northern towns that are more rural and your budget/criteria doesn't allow you to either get into the more walkable southern towns, or be near the downtowns themselves. Rye Brook is great but the Rye Ridge shopping center serves as the "downtown;" you will find yourself going to Rye or Greenwich CT for more walkability. I would also search out more in Pleasantville as it has a nice little town, and again Katonah as it really isn't far from White Plains or Chappaqua. Check out Stamford as well for Russian language classes as that could open you up to Bedford/Pound Ridge and some other CT towns like New Canaan or Ridgefield (both of which have excellent towns), but then your commute would be farther. Ridgefield I know has some HOA type communities.
Fair point regarding Pleasantville. There are actually a couple of homes near the downtown that the realtor called me about today; I'll probably be visiting those this weekend. Still no sidewalks which blows my mind for homes that are less than a quarter mile from the town center (there is a crosswalk across the Saw Mill River Parkway into this neighborhood that terminates in grass), but at least there is something to walk to.

You indicate that my budget is a limiting factor for being in a walkable town- which town would you be referring to? I would love it if I could just throw money at the issue but it seems that the schools and commute are the limiting factor. So far from what we've seen in Armonk and Pleasantville, the homes actually get cheaper as you get closer to town, primarily because they get smaller and closer together.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:30 PM

666 posts, read 513,037 times
In Pleasantville most of the streets between Bedford Rd and Manville Rd (and those that fan out from town or the high school) have sidewalks, as well as some of the nicest "in-town" homes in Pleasantville (some great old victorians for example). However I see little for sale right now, at any price. 45 Great Oak Lane is in a nice location at $1.19M though. I was thinking your budget is low for towns like Scarsdale, Bronxville, Rye, Irvington and Larchmont (all with top-ranked schools and quintessential "Westchester" towns), but now I see you're excluding Southern Westchester (except Rye Brook) anyway based on commuting distance.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 4,300 times
I had to re-read your comment about "most of the schools in Southern Westchester aren't great" a few times.

Southern Westchester schools are extremely desirable. In terms of best in the state, #8 Briarcliff (which does have a walkable downtown), #10 Rye, #11 Chappaqua, #14 Bronxville, #16 Pelham, #23 Scarsdale. Rye, Bronxville, Pelham and Scarsdale all are in Southern Westchester. The only Southern Westchester towns that are not well ranked are Yonkers and Mount Vernon.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 AM

3,405 posts, read 1,317,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Southern Westchester is too far from where my office will be, and it also seems like most of southern Westchester schools aren't great. I would love to be in White Plains- we see some beautiful homes in the northern and southern tips of White Plains, but their schools have miserable ratings compared to Byram Hills, Blind Brook, and Pleasantville. The taxes are much lower but still not enough lower to pay for private school.

Fair point regarding Pleasantville. There are actually a couple of homes near the downtown that the realtor called me about today; I'll probably be visiting those this weekend. Still no sidewalks which blows my mind for homes that are less than a quarter mile from the town center (there is a crosswalk across the Saw Mill River Parkway into this neighborhood that terminates in grass), but at least there is something to walk to.

You indicate that my budget is a limiting factor for being in a walkable town- which town would you be referring to? I would love it if I could just throw money at the issue but it seems that the schools and commute are the limiting factor. So far from what we've seen in Armonk and Pleasantville, the homes actually get cheaper as you get closer to town, primarily because they get smaller and closer together.
Southern Westchester as in the River Towns, Mamaroneck, Larchmont, Rye, Bronxville, Scarsdale etc... all have great schools. I have no idea where you are getting your info that those schools are not good. Most of those towns also have walkability, and sidewalks! I live in the Rye Neck section of Mamaroneck. Great schools, I have a sidewalk, and can walk to town, the park, the small beach. You should check it out. I work in White Plains and it takes me 12 minutes by car.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:39 AM

13 posts, read 15,534 times
"I'll probably be visiting those this weekend. Still no sidewalks which blows my mind for homes that are less than a quarter mile from the town center (there is a crosswalk across the Saw Mill River Parkway into this neighborhood that terminates in grass), but at least there is something to walk to."

I think you are referring to three dead end streets. There is no through traffic here. There is no need for sidewalks - kids and families and everyone walk the streets like normal people. There are basketball hoops set up in the streets all summer.

I agree with your point on sidewalks when you're talking about a windy, country road like Hardscrabble Road - it's dangerous to walk on.

But for streets in town... streets are for people, in whatever conveyance. Streets are not solely for cars.

And with sidewalks, remember, the homeowner becomes responsible for shoveling, maintenance, etc. A lot of people don't want that.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:23 PM

815 posts, read 1,979,588 times
You summed up the issue we had with northern Westchester - way too rural for our taste. We ended up in southern Westchester because we wanted more of a neighborhood feel.

As others have mentioned, you are completely wrong about southern Westchester schools being not good. They are some of the best school districts in the country. Where on earth did you hear they were bad?

The most walkable downtowns in the area are going to be in southern Westchester, places like Bronxville, Larchmont, Scarsdale, Rye, Pleasantville... Trouble is, the prices go up as you travel south. But the towns are more of what you are looking for. You might have to extend your commute time a bit for your family's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or