U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 AM

1,516 posts, read 961,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
You summed up the issue we had with northern Westchester - way too rural for our taste. We ended up in southern Westchester because we wanted more of a neighborhood feel.

As others have mentioned, you are completely wrong about southern Westchester schools being not good. They are some of the best school districts in the country. Where on earth did you hear they were bad?

The most walkable downtowns in the area are going to be in southern Westchester, places like Bronxville, Larchmont, Scarsdale, Rye, Pleasantville... Trouble is, the prices go up as you travel south. But the towns are more of what you are looking for. You might have to extend your commute time a bit for your family's sake.
Fair point to all. It was probably just luck of the draw that the few towns in southern Westchester that we looked at also happened to have schools where students score objectively lower on standardized tests than Byram Hills or Blind Brook for example- the far northern and southern part of White Plains, and also Port Chester and West Harrison. Mount Kisco also had strangely poor schools in this regard.

Rye Brook was already a stretch in terms of commute so I couldn't consider anything further south, so I understand the outrage that my post may have caused- there are towns and school districts further south that have wonderful schools, so I apologize for over generalizing. Chappaqua and Pleasantville have fantastic school ratings too, so again, apologies for seeming like I was knocking on them.

Regarding commute time, obviously everything in real estate is a trade-off, but in our case, we value schools and commute over home size. The commute time is very important to us- for years I commuted 60+ miles each way to work and recently had a 10 minute commute and my wife realized how much easier it makes life with kids. Leaving the office at 6 and getting home at 6:10 makes an enormous difference over getting home at 6:30, 6:45, 7:00, etc. because the kids go to sleep at 8:00. So if I live close, I get nearly two hours with them but each minute further away is a large percent decrease in the amount of time I get to be with the family while they are all still awake. It also means my wife gets a small break before the biggest battles of the day- kids bedtimes.

I think the tone of my earlier posts was more negative than we feel right now- it was just a big shock on day one, but now we've gotten over it and have found a path forward. It's February so inventory is very low, but we've got a nice target area with a few hundred homes total (every one of which we can afford and most of which we can see ourselves in), so there is a good chance that one or two will pop up in the next month or two.

Again, thanks to all of those who replied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 AM

3,405 posts, read 1,324,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Fair point to all. It was probably just luck of the draw that the few towns in southern Westchester that we looked at also happened to have schools where students score objectively lower on standardized tests than Byram Hills or Blind Brook for example- the far northern and southern part of White Plains, and also Port Chester and West Harrison. Mount Kisco also had strangely poor schools in this regard.

Rye Brook was already a stretch in terms of commute so I couldn't consider anything further south, so I understand the outrage that my post may have caused- there are towns and school districts further south that have wonderful schools, so I apologize for over generalizing. Chappaqua and Pleasantville have fantastic school ratings too, so again, apologies for seeming like I was knocking on them.

Regarding commute time, obviously everything in real estate is a trade-off, but in our case, we value schools and commute over home size. The commute time is very important to us- for years I commuted 60+ miles each way to work and recently had a 10 minute commute and my wife realized how much easier it makes life with kids. Leaving the office at 6 and getting home at 6:10 makes an enormous difference over getting home at 6:30, 6:45, 7:00, etc. because the kids go to sleep at 8:00. So if I live close, I get nearly two hours with them but each minute further away is a large percent decrease in the amount of time I get to be with the family while they are all still awake. It also means my wife gets a small break before the biggest battles of the day- kids bedtimes.

I think the tone of my earlier posts was more negative than we feel right now- it was just a big shock on day one, but now we've gotten over it and have found a path forward. It's February so inventory is very low, but we've got a nice target area with a few hundred homes total (every one of which we can afford and most of which we can see ourselves in), so there is a good chance that one or two will pop up in the next month or two.

Again, thanks to all of those who replied.
I will chime in one more time, for what it seems you want, you may really want to check out Rye, Mamaroneck and Larchmont. You will sacrifice on house size but the town feel is there. Rye Brook is 12 miles from Chappaqua. Rye is 15 miles from Chappaqua. You are only talking about 3 miles difference. It may be worth it if you find these towns are more to your liking. It may just be worth a look. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or