Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,053 times

Advertisements

Looking for a diverse affordable home under 600k.
Found beautiful homes in Port Chester but it seems to not be too popular. Any insight from families who are moving there or living there now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Port Chester is actually in NYS... so you might want to post in that forum. As far as I'm aware though the property taxes are insanely high with not much to show for it with schools.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Port Chester has some very nice areas, and some areas that are not so great. The schools have a middling reputation, and most people who are really looking for a superior school system would probably avoid Port Chester. Still, the schools there are much better than the really bad districts like Yonkers or Mount Vernon.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:43 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Always felt Port Chester was slightly underrated. It has an iffy reputation and being surrounded by very wealthy communities doesn't help it's image. The downtown area is getting better - lots of new apartments in the old factory buildings. Decent little waterfront walk with restaurants and bars. Still, there are some sections of town I would avoid, as with many older, working class cities.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
The schools aren't great, but they're also not horrible and it's a relative bargain compared to nearby towns.

Diversity (economic and racial) usually comes with imperfect schools, so it could be a good option.

Stamford and Norwalk would be worth considering too, depending on commute.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:04 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I had not been in Port Chester in years. A couple of months ago I drove through the town and was pleasantly surprised to see that they finally changed the ugly light fixtures along the main road with newer nicer ones. Its unbelievable how a detail as relatively small as light fixtures can change so much the ambiance of a place. Downtown now looks a little more respectable and inviting.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
It would be best to post this on the Westchester County forum. I will move this to there. JayCT, Moderator

Old 01-08-2017, 07:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Having seen this in the Westchester Forum I will assume it has been moved. Portchester is culturally diverse with a heavy influence of various Hispanic Cultures but still a good smattering of the Jewish/Irish/Italian groups that were here backbone for the last 100 years. It is surrounded by some of the most affluent towns in the region but still provides an affordable option with a train station in town. The town is alive providing the services a resident needs and many have posted some of the best Central/South American food to be found in this country. Schools are good but not stellar as some other districts but all the parents with kids are not college educated professionals. As you continue looking realize that when diversity is used in the description then many will view that as a negative....

Old 01-12-2017, 03:42 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Having seen this in the Westchester Forum I will assume it has been moved. Portchester is culturally diverse with a heavy influence of various Hispanic Cultures but still a good smattering of the Jewish/Irish/Italian groups that were here backbone for the last 100 years. It is surrounded by some of the most affluent towns in the region but still provides an affordable option with a train station in town. The town is alive providing the services a resident needs and many have posted some of the best Central/South American food to be found in this country. Schools are good but not stellar as some other districts but all the parents with kids are not college educated professionals. As you continue looking realize that when diversity is used in the description then many will view that as a negative....
The good news about the Hispanic immigration to Port Chester - without it Port Chester would have died.

The bad news about the Hispanic immigration to Port Chester - unscrupulous landlords creating rooming houses and illegal apartments, and more crowded schools.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:18 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Not too familiar with Westchester County outside of White Plains, so I did some research on Port Chester.

I think for a single person in their late 20s-early 30s who works in the city and makes $75Kish, there's several 1-bedroom co-ops for sale on Westchester Avenue that to me look like a steal. If you're a couple with no kids, both working in the city, and making over $100K, the bounty increases.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County